Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
LauraEadon

We try not to turn ours on until november- and I'm in upstate NY!!!

I HATE paying bills (not that I don't or can't, I just hate doing it!) so I always take the cheap way out. That's almost 200 dollars a month I save by not using heat/central air so I go as long as possible to turn them on and turn them off as early as possible (Usually late march or early april for heat).

We use several feather blankets until the heat goes on
LauraEadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Still in the 90's around here.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
LOL-- I am still running my air conditioning set at 60, no way ready for heat yet!
Residential AC's are not designed to cool a dwelling down to that temperature.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Not yet but tomorrow the high will possibly reach 60--maybe.

I'm a die hard giving in to cooler temps. I am NOT ready for socks and shoes! I like my chacos!!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #20
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Still sunny and hot in south Florida!!!

I thought I would miss fall, or the change of seasons. Nope.

Florida residents!
AmericangirlinFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
LOL-- I am still running my air conditioning set at 60, no way ready for heat yet!
No way would I set my a/c at 60, so we're even.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #22
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

I feel funny putting the heat on since we are originally from northern IL and I see all these folks who were born and raised here without heat yet.

DD and I were laughing about how soon they start wearing their hoodies and how soon they bring out the winter jackets. Maybe this is because they refuse to put their heat on. We are just now bringing out our hoodies. Last winter I wore my hoodie the entire winter, never once felt the need to wear my winter jacket.

Yet, right now I am cold. My hands are freezing. It has been rainy here too so the cold added with dampness is the pits. Comfort first. The heat goes on this evening.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #23
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

I turned our furnace on for the first time this morning. Well, DH turned it on a few weeks ago to make sure it would work, as we didn't want any surprises with it not wanting to come on when we needed it...like this morning. It was in the 30's this morning so was pretty chilly in here.

Actually we've been running the electric heat in the family room and office for awhile. I turn it on in the morning for a couple of hours, turn it off for the rest of the day, then if we're home watching TV or a movie I'll turn it on for the evening as well.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
trip
family trip planner

We drained the sprinkler system and put away the garden hose yesterday. Turned on the heat and set it to 68. It got down to 28 last night. Brrrr. Today is definately a sweatshirt day.
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
petrymom
DIS Veteran

No heat on here!!! I would like to wait til November 1st!!! But I don't know because it was 32degrees last night!!!!

[COLOR="Blue"]2005 - POR;2006 - AKL;2008 - CBR; 2009 - Hard Rock Hotel USF; 2010 - Embassy Suites DLR; Christmas 2010 -CSR; 2012 - Pop Century; 2014-ASMusic
[/COLOR

petrymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
MerMom60_94
DIS Veteran

I try really hard to wait until November to put on the heat. I'm not saying I always make it though. A couple of weeks ago DH came home sick from work and put the heat on to take the chill off for a little while. Other than that, I have been holding off. I have blankets all over my living room for when we are sitting watching t.v. I try to get by with dressing warm and wrapping up but eventually will give in. This coming week we are supposed to get our first frost, so we will see. Maybe I will turn it up when we are getting showered and dressed in the morning and then turn it back down.
MerMom60_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #27
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchfans View Post
I feel funny putting the heat on since we are originally from northern IL and I see all these folks who were born and raised here without heat yet.

DD and I were laughing about how soon they start wearing their hoodies and how soon they bring out the winter jackets. Maybe this is because they refuse to put their heat on. We are just now bringing out our hoodies. Last winter I wore my hoodie the entire winter, never once felt the need to wear my winter jacket.

Yet, right now I am cold. My hands are freezing. It has been rainy here too so the cold added with dampness is the pits. Comfort first. The heat goes on this evening.
I am another person that will not be uncomfortable in my own home. So if I'm hot or cold (or anyone else in the house), the temperature is adjusted accordingly.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #28
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

I do not understand the thought process of being uncomfortable in my home to save $3/day. Freezing for hours to save $3 is not a very good trade off in our home.

I will not sit in the dark rather than turn on a light.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
Snowysmom
If they say "That's interesting" when eating dinner, time for a new recipe!

We turned the heat on last week. We have had nights in the 40's and the temp in the house got down to 62. Plus, the dog was cold!
Snowysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #30
Tink-aholic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
I do not understand the thought process of being uncomfortable in my home to save $3/day. Freezing for hours to save $3 is not a very good trade off in our home.

I will not sit in the dark rather than turn on a light.
It's not $3 here per day here. I am on propane and a tank can cost me around $500. I try to stretch that out as much as possible. Through the summer, we used 20% of a tank for four months, so the furnace uses a lot (which was brand-new in 2009). If I keep the heat on as high as some of you, I would be going through more than a tank a month. I use space heaters, warm sweaters, and down duvets to get us through as much as possible.

I will be residing and replacing the windows in my home next year, but that is a $17K cost...so it takes a while to see that savings, too.
Tink-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: