Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #106
maggs1035
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady View Post
See, I've stayed onsite 2x but never off site, but after this trip I am definitely considering it for next time. You guys say disney busses are great, but I just got back from an 8 night trip and only once, ONCE did I get to my destination in less than 1 hour. ONCE! We had two morning dining reservations and waited for a bus that never showed. It was so bad, people were hopping in taxis so they didn't miss their ADRs. Transferring from our home resort to another resort was never less than 1 hour 15 minutes. Instead of it being relaxing, I was constantly stressed. I think I only made our ADRs on time once, because we left 90 minutes before our reservation, which was at 4:30 pm. And I didn't go at peak times, neither opening or closing as my girls were asleep by 7pm. It seemed I always just missed a bus or boat no matter where I went. And of course, I have learned never take the monorail if you have an ADR anywhere. In case anyone is wondering, the September trip was at POR.

I am definitely thinking of trying Bonnet Creek next time. They have a bus schedule. My kids are not able to wake up too much earlier or stay out late so EMH doesn't appeal to me at this age, and it would be nice to have a kitchen, as lots of the food was blah. I don't cook at home, so cooking on vacation wouldn't be bad for me. And the ability to put my kids to bed and close the door would be very nice. $300 for a week at bonnet creek v. $300 a night at AoA suite for a door is night and day.
Thank you!!! The prices at Disney are nuts, and the food isn't very good (with a few acceptions) I can't wait to stay at Windsor Hills 4 bdrm house with it's own pool! My hubby says he will miss the dining plan, but if there is no free dining in May we would be spending $6200 for 7 days??? Yikes, the house is $1300, and we can eat breakfast at the house and eat light in the parks. We are the type of people who forget to eat when we are busy, so when we are hungry we will just stop and grab whatever is nearby. Im exited about not having to plan out ADR's and having to stop what we are doing to go to an ADR. A lot of the time we were not even hungry yet. Im excited to try Off-site. And we always rent a car when we stay on property, we think the busses are a joke, and driving around disney couldn't be easier.
maggs1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #107
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs1035 View Post
Thank you!!! The prices at Disney are nuts, and the food isn't very good (with a few acceptions) I can't wait to stay at Windsor Hills 4 bdrm house with it's own pool! My hubby says he will miss the dining plan, but if there is no free dining in May we would be spending $6200 for 7 days??? Yikes, the house is $1300, and we can eat breakfast at the house and eat light in the parks. We are the type of people who forget to eat when we are busy, so when we are hungry we will just stop and grab whatever is nearby. Im exited about not having to plan out ADR's and having to stop what we are doing to go to an ADR. A lot of the time we were not even hungry yet. Im excited to try Off-site. And we always rent a car when we stay on property, we think the busses are a joke, and driving around disney couldn't be easier.
Funny there are two things I didn't mention with my earlier post (or shall we say rant):

1) I take public transit every day. 90 minutes in the morning, 45-50 minutes on the way home. So trust me when I say that I am sooooo used to public transit. Perhaps that is why I was frustrated, because I am used to a schedule. There is no schedule at Disney. Every 20 minutes may or may not be accurate. When I was waiting for AK, there were 10 MK busses that went by in 45 minutes. If I was told Busses ran every :00, :20, and :40, I would make sure to be there for a certain time. I can't sit by and just wait for a bus that never shows. That's sloppy to me. (and part of what I like about the Bonnet Creek schedule)

2) When I stay at Disney, I am staying on a Castmember family discount (which is very nice, along with a discounted dining plan), so I'm not even paying rack rate!!! So yeah, even WITH the discount, I'm considering staying off site. After this last trip, I have come to the conclusion that a door between me and the kids is key, as I don't feel like tip-toeing around my own room on vacation, just so they stay asleep! They went to bed around 7pm, I am NOT tired at 7pm. The one time I did go to bed at 7pm, I woke up at 4am and was bored out of my skull. Although I did use the time to do laundry and clean, it was not fun as there was nothing to do, and I didn't think to pack a book for downtime at Disney World. A week at Bonnet Creek will be about the same price as me staying at an Art of Animation suite for 2 nights with the discount. And I did buy the discounted dining plan this time around, and don't get me wrong, Disney is great for people with allergies like us, but that was still a lot of money when you multiplied it by 8 days, that is a lot of money. A quick trip to the grocery store could save us hundreds and hundreds. And I know the character meal argument is that it saves you time by not having to stand in line, I can say the interaction while waiting in line FAR surpasses the character meals, who stop by for 30 seconds. (not to say we won't do Lilo and Stich @ Ohana again) I made a lot of plans based on what people here recommended, and now that I've been on a long trip to Disney, I will definitely be making adjustments on our next trip. So don't feel bad to stay off site.
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: