Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

sleeping arrangements with toddler

I'm looking for a little advice from those that have traveled with a toddler and how you work the sleeping arrangements with 2 double beds in the same room. Right now DD is a pretty light sleeper so I booked us at the Art of Animation because I think that her having a separate room would work out well. Now with the Disney Visa deal that just came out we can save $1000 by staying at Port Orleans Riverside (my favorite!) but then we would be attempting to sleep in the same room. Are your kids so tired that they just conk out at the end of a busy day? Do you go to bed at the same time as your kids because the tv might wake them up and you can't keep the lights on? This may seem like a really weird and strange question, but I'm just really curious how it works with parents and kids sleeping in beds right next to each other. Thanks!!

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Maybe we were lucky because when our DDs were little they were always so tired that they conked right out as soon as their heads hit the pillow. We would only keep one light on (usually the one over the table, sometimes just the light in the vanity area) and kept the volume down fairly low on the TV.

If your DD is still young enough for a pack n play, I've read that many people put them in the vanity area and close the curtain to reduce any light and noise even further. This would probably mean that everyone would have to do their nightly hygiene routines early, though.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulagirl87 View Post
I'm looking for a little advice from those that have traveled with a toddler and how you work the sleeping arrangements with 2 double beds in the same room. Right now DD is a pretty light sleeper so I booked us at the Art of Animation because I think that her having a separate room would work out well. Now with the Disney Visa deal that just came out we can save $1000 by staying at Port Orleans Riverside (my favorite!) but then we would be attempting to sleep in the same room. Are your kids so tired that they just conk out at the end of a busy day? Do you go to bed at the same time as your kids because the tv might wake them up and you can't keep the lights on? This may seem like a really weird and strange question, but I'm just really curious how it works with parents and kids sleeping in beds right next to each other. Thanks!!
The first time we brought our girls, our youngest was just turned 3 (on our day of arrival actually) - so, still a toddler. We stayed at POP with the two double beds and honestly, at the end of the night (our girls were troopers and stayed out pretty late) they were so pooped that they did conk out pretty much right away. Oldest DD shared a bed with DH and youngest DD shared a bed with me. It really wasn't an issue at all.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Funfire240
DIS Veteran

We just returned with a 21/2 year old. He is very tricky to get to sleep most nights - will only settle down if the lights and tv around him are off but we only had one night where we had to do this (back early after AK then didn't do anything in the evening so he wasn't super tired). The other nights he either fell asleep on the bus ride back and stayed down or once we got back just laid down and cuddled up to me. (very unusual for this child but it was so nice!)
Old 10-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

We traveled with 5 adults and two children, a five year old and a 14 month old.

The five year old slept in my room and a bomb could have gone off and she wouldn't have moved one inch. They said at home she is up constantly during the night - she was exhausted each night.

The little one slept in the other room and he also was good until about 6 am or so and someone usually took him for a stroller ride for a bit and came back and he slept until we were all ready to go.

One night, they did place the pack n' play in the dressing area and closed the curtain and he did fall asleep quite fast, but he was uneasy about when he woke up and couldn't really see anyone.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
jollygreengirl
Mouseketeer

My ds is 4 now, but we still like to have separate rooms when we can. We stay at Embassy Suites a lot while not at WDW, but at Disney we've done a few villas and some standard hotel rooms as well. When he was younger at Disney, I tried to keep him mostly on schedule. That meant back in the room and in bed by 8. Now that he's older, we can go until his attitude starts to go bad and then call it a day. I like to get bunk rooms now and make him a little fort so that he has a more private area, butideally I like a 1 BR Villa.
I have spent many nights at Disney with all the lights off, reading on my iPhone under the covers or playing on my laptop, while ds sleeps. Only you know your child. Mine does better in a very dark, very quiet room. TV would most certainly keep him up and he doesn't shut his eyes until the lights are off. However, your kid might be different. If your family will be more rested and have a more enjoyable time having separate rooms, then keep AoA. A lot of it depends on the age of your dd. If she's still a little kid (like under 3), I'd do separate rooms since that's the age that being tired doesn't necessarily mean they'll sleep, you know? She will be pooped from WDW, but that might just wind her up and keep her up, especially if you're watching TV or whatever. But $1000 is certainly nothing to scoff at. Do what your gut tells you. WDW can be miserable for two tired parents with an over-tired toddler in tow.
jollygreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

My DD used to have a lot of difficulty getting to sleep. When I took her when she was 3.5yo, we stayed at POFQ. I was worried that she wouldn't fall asleep if I wasn't in bed yet also with the lights out. I needn't have worried. She was so exhausted at the end of each day that she was out like a light in an instant. I was able to have the TV on low or have a light on to read a book without disturbing her. And it's been this way on every trip since. I do usually lay on my bed reading until she's asleep, then I'll turn the TV on or get up and start getting our park bag ready for the next day.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone for your replies! I like to stress out a lot so hearing positive sleep scenarios makes me feel better.

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

We wondered about it before our trip with our almost three year old, and she did fine in the bed next to us. Usually she went to sleep pretty quickly after being tired from the day's activities, but sometimes she stayed up and played with her stuffed animals before falling asleep. We did bring stuffed animals and her turtle star night lights from home to make it more familiar. This was her first time in a real bed, and she did great. In the mornings she usually slept later than us, even if we made a little noise getting ready. We understood that they had bed rails available too, but we didn't end up using them. Enjoy your stay, wherever you decide it should be great!
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
meredith1
DIS Veteran

In 2011 we stayed at CR with my then, 3.5 yr old. I was worried as well but, they had a comfortable day bed that she slept in and my H and I each had a queen bed. We turned out all the lights and the TV down really low and she fell asleep quite easily. I was really worried, too, but, it worked out well!

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

On my DS (now 5) first trip to WDW, we stayed at Poly and when my son went to sleep, my DH and I tip toed around in the dark. DS slept, but my DH and I didn't like the arrangement. On subsequent trips we would either book two rooms (we always were granted connecting) or 1-bedroom villas and the space arrangement worked out very well.

Only recently have we gone back to one room as my DS can now stay up as late as we do and we all just go to sleep at the same time.

I would definitely recommend the AoA suites, 2 rooms or a 1-bedroom villa - I think everyone will be comfortable!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

My kids are terrible sleepers at home but at WDW they are so tired, they just go to sleep without a fight. We have stayed at POFQ and POR with them without a problem.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: