DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
kevmag
Mouseketeer

WDW in late January?

Hi all, we had a trip planned for next week in WDW and had to cancel due to a death in the family. Our use year ends January 31st, so we just booked the last week in January 2013 (at SSR and VWL), so that we use our points up by February 1st.

We've never gone to WDW in the middle of winter. I'm curious about others experiences that time of year....e.g. are the parks somewhat empty (I know thats a relative term at WDW)? is it just too cold to use the pools? any other opinions or thoughts that you can share with us?

Thanks!
kevmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
gwb
Mouseketeer

DSIL went in late Jan this past winter. Her experience was a lot of rides, pools closed for rehabs. It's a supposedly slow time. She did say that crowd levels were low. So watch the rehab lists and you should be ok
As from the weather 1day she said she was in shorts and a couple days later she was in a heavy jacket.
gwb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

We go in late January most years (the last 3 in a row). Last year was really nice in the mid 70s to 80s. The year before high 60s. This is during the day when the sun is out. When the sun goes down it gets cold. Last year we used the pool, but generally we don't. We do use the hot tubs alot. The park crowd level is not quite moderate to sometimes moderate. Depends if there are any functions going on (cheer leading, sports). A fair number of tour groups. The hours are shorter and the days of course are shorter. It is one of the hardest trips we have to pack for. We pack some shorts and swimsuits, but also have to pack sweats, jackets, GLOVES and HATS! You really do need those gloves and hats if you plan to visit the parks when the sun goes down. There are generally many refurbs going on too. We always make our ADRs also. We do enjoy going in January, but have learned to expect the unexpected. Of course if you fly you need to watch weather reports as we have had delays flying home on several occassions, so you need to always have a plan B just in case. We also go in early May and late October -- and we enjoy those trips more than January, but January is often a get over the holidays trip and some R&R.

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

We go in January

and february every year and it can be a nice meduim crowd or light depending on activities and foriegn visitors.

The wait times are usually very managable unless you have a 200 person dance troop that gets in line before you.

As far as the temps goes we have had 50's, 60's 70's and 80's and it can get downright cold at night, but the hot tubs make up for that. Most of the pools are heated but will still feel chilly getting in as the surface cools faster with the air temperature change.

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

We have done 11 January vacations and we are from CA so it has to be warm for us to swim.

2 vacations were warm enough to swim daily. 2 were very cold- people were wearing hats and gloves in the parks the entire week. The other 9 have had at least one day warm enough to swim. We have done waterpark days in Jan.

Parks close early and there are usually some refurbishments. Crowds used to be very low but they are moderate now. There will be Brazilian tour groups.

We like to swim every day so we stopped going in Jan after 2010. Other than that it's a nice time to go.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
LoveRafiki
Mouseketeer

Late January - Good, but can be Cold!

Hi
We've been in late January and it is as others have stated. Low crowds, shorter hours (but low crowds offsets that) -
Brazilian Tour groups is accurate, but they tend to be a friendly lot. I prefer them over the hoards of PopWarners/Cheerleaders after Thanksgiving.

3 years ago, it was literally freezing. They had to cover some of the landscaping to protect it. So -- bring cold clothes and warm weather clothes. It could be 80 or 40.
Have Fun!
LoveRafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
aes74
visiting wdw since '74 (as a baby!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmag
Hi all, we had a trip planned for next week in WDW and had to cancel due to a death in the family. Our use year ends January 31st, so we just booked the last week in January 2013 (at SSR and VWL), so that we use our points up by February 1st.

We've never gone to WDW in the middle of winter. I'm curious about others experiences that time of year....e.g. are the parks somewhat empty (I know thats a relative term at WDW)? is it just too cold to use the pools? any other opinions or thoughts that you can share with us?

Thanks!
Great if you like to walk on rides!

We love to do parks then come back to DVC and jump in hot tub. Much more relaxing weeks. Expect anything with weather. As far as Brazilian tour groups, they are there one week during January for their winter break we found to our dismay. Avoid that week. If you cannot, go to whatever park they are not in that day, as they tend to move in a pack. For example they were all in hollywood studios on a Thursday because of fantasmic.

Definitely worth it for us. Cannot stand crowds.
aes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
happyann79
Mouseketeer

Great time to go! Very empty so you will get to to a lot...just bring some warm clothes.
happyann79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

We take our bi-annual Grandfamily trips in January and will be there when you are in 2013. As has already been said, the weather is unpredictable. We definitely have at least a few days that are warm enough to swim (we're there for two weeks) and some days, and especially at night after the sun goes down have worn our winter coats and gloves so make sure you come prepared for everything! We make our ADR's but try to stay a little flexible with the schedule to accommodate changing weather. We went in May in 2008 and it was so hot everyone voted to go back to January! The tour groups can be a little annoying but as aes74 already said, just avoid the parks they are heading to if you can and you should be fine.
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages
sherylcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
TheDVC3
Earning My Ears

We go every year in Jan. Marathon weekend is real busy but you are clear of that. It's not busy but it isn't slow either. We have been able to get the Resorts we want and the dining reservations. It's rained, been super cold, cold, warm, and everything in between. Overall, I love going that time of the year, it sure beats the heat and humidity of the summer months.
TheDVC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

We went January 22-26 2011 and LOVED it. There wasn't a single crowd to be seen... no need for fastpass!!! The weather ranged from cool (jacket) to COLD(winter coat/gloves). The pools at SSR were nicely heated, even though the air was cold we relaxed at congress park!! If there was a guarantee of not coming home to a blizzard again I'd book January in a heartbeat!!
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
zavandor
DIS Veteran

I went in September for my first visit and I felt miserable due to hot temperatures and humidity. This year I went in January and I loved it!
It was cold at night, something we weren't really prepared to, but nothing that buying a nice sweatshirt with Mickey couldn't fix
Crowds were really low, except one day at the Studios where we encountered heavy crowds. We later discovered that it was due to President Obama visiting MK for a speech so they attracted most guests at the studios adding a special show at night. It was the same fireworks show held at NYE, so while having to deal with crowds during the day, we had the opportunity to see a wonderful show we wouldn't otherwise. Other days, we walked almost to every attraction in Orlando, included the WWOHP at IOA.
However, Fantasmic, BTMRR and other rides in Universal Studios and Sea World were closed for refurbishment. Not a deal breaker.
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
hmmr308
Earning My Ears

I will be there from Jan24-Feb2 doing a split stay at POR and AKV. I come from eureka CA and it is usually rainy and COLD in January here. Sometimes it doesn't get above 40 in the day so I am prepared (and excited) for some "warm" 60* temps in the day!!! It's like summer! I just really don't like crowds so I am hoping the crowds are light!
hmmr308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Lost in Neverland
Mouseketeer

We normally go in January. The temperatures are usually very nice. It is cool in the mornings and after the sun goes down but you can normally get by in short sleeves during the day. We have only had one trip where we needed coats and gloves in the past eight years. We love the fact that there are few people compared to other times we have been.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
lync
Mouseketeer

The year we went, a cold front came through. It was warm (the girls were in sleeveless dresses) the first 2 days then it was cold!! We had blankets so we put them in the stroller we rented from Disney and they never were cold. We had to wear sweater and coats in the morning and evenings but it was mild during the day.

W
lync is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: