Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I'm sure he's under contract, and eligible for an upgrade after 2 years, like everyone else on the plan. However, I'm assuming the case here is that it's not time for his upgrade. I've always found that by the 2 year upgrade time, the phones either died, or are on their way (I'm up next month, and I'm ready to bury my droid at this point).

I agree with you about the lack of simple phones. Both my mom and dd11 use simple phones, and I think there is now a choice of 3.
Actually you're right he is under contract. DH and I upgraded our phones in June right before Verizon discontinued the unlimited data plan, so we got to keep that (for now at least). We added DS for $9.99/month extra line, but luckily had one phone that we didn't recycle, and that's what he's using. He can upgrade at any time - but without buying a phone with a data plan the choices are pretty limited.
Very luckily for us, my husband took the phone apart and found a loose wire, soldered it back and now DS's simple Samsung phone is working again . Thanks again for all the responses!
SweetJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

I've never paid for a phone with Verizon. They always have some basic model that is free (Samsung Intensity II most recently). My kids never like that phone, so they opt for a more expensive one, I don't think they have ever paid more than $50 though. And no, none of these are smart phones.
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
I have ATT so I can just pop out the SIM card.

With Verizon, you have to "activate" the phone as there is no SIM card, so I am guessing you have to pay for activation? Someone with Verizon can comment on that.

That being said, you can go to Radio Shack, Best Buy, WalMart, Target, etc...and look at 'Verizon phones'.

Once you find one you like then you hunt THAT down for the cheapest price.

Surprisingly Radio Shack has REALLY gotten in to the wireless market. A quarter of their store is dedicated to phones & phone stuff.
My Vzw phone has a sim card. It was bought new and has always been VZW phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurMinnieFamily View Post
I work for vzw corp. No activation fee on pre-existing line. If you don't want a 2 year contract try. Craig's list always someone selling one there.

FYI- any store that sells the phones would still need the contact renewal and and no prepaid Verizon phone can be used on a postpaid acct UNLESS it was already activated as prepaid for 6 months or more.
I had to pay 30.00 upgrade fee just last week on exsisting line!! To me that is paying ativation fee.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #19
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

For future reference, if you ever go the eBay route, make for absolute sure that the ESN is clean AND it is not a prepaid cell phone.

If you can get the seller to give you that number BEFORE you bid or "but it now", you will be much better off. You can call Verizon and ask them if the phone is clean and good to go. They will tell you whether or not you can use it on your plan.

Just because a seller's ad says "clean esn" doesn't necessarily make it true, call Verizon and check for yourself first.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #20
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post
My Vzw phone has a sim card. It was bought new and has always been VZW phone.

I had to pay 30.00 upgrade fee just last week on exsisting line!! To me that is paying ativation fee.
Can you put your SIM card in any phone and you are good to go? I thought you had to activate the phone through VZW?
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Can you put your SIM card in any phone and you are good to go? I thought you had to activate the phone through VZW?
I would not know that as I am happy with VZQ and don't plan on changing. I do know in instruations I got it said if I had exsisting sim card I could take it out and put in new device but this would have been a vzw to vzw switch.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: