Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #31
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
Others have already chimed in, but I'll add my .02 cents just so you can see how much you can save by bringing or buying your own food.

Our total cost for food during our most recent 8-day visit was $263.00 for 2 adults.

We brought items like nuts, granola bars, and licorice with us that are cheap at Costco, but expensive at regular stores.

We had Wegoshop deliver the rest of our groceries. If we had our own car (or a rental) we would have shopped at Walmart or Publix.

Our meals consisted of:
Breakfast: Bagels and cream cheese. Coffee or soft drinks with our refillable mugs (price included in total).

Lunch and snacks: Brought into the parks in our backpacks. Water with powdered drink mix, pb&j sandwiches, goldfish crackers, cookies, granola bars, nuts and dried fruit.

Dinner: We ate in our room. We have a hot pot that we bring, so we were able to have soup or pasta with dinner rolls. Dessert was cookies or chips and dip.

We did buy a few snacks in the parks, I got one Dole Whip and my husband got lefse a couple of times. The cost for these is also included in the amount listed above.

We always bring things we know we'll crave and enjoy eating, so bringing our own food never feels like much of a sacrifice.

Also, you mentioned that you are only planning on 2 park days? If you do 3 or more, the extra days are very cheap. Be sure to check into other ticket options that will only cost a few dollars more, but give you more time in the parks.
Glad that this worked out for you. My family would mutiny and head to the closest TS location to order steaks and bottle of wine if I tried to feed them PB&J for 8 days!

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-CMom View Post
You can also buy an "extra bun" at some (?most , ?all) counter service locations. It's typically listed on a button right on the register. For example, we got a chicken nugget meal with sides at Cosmic Rays in MK, but turned it into 2 chicken sandwiches. At that location, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. are available at a condiments bar. As previously stated, you can also order without the sides, but we do like to split those.
Last I heard they are now charging a pretty high cost for that extra bun. I think too many people were asking for the extra bun, so Disney decided to charge accordingly.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #33
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Others have already chimed in, but I'll add my .02 cents just so you can see how much you can save by bringing or buying your own food.

Our total cost for food during our most recent 8-day visit was $263.00 for 2 adults.

We brought items like nuts, granola bars, and licorice with us that are cheap at Costco, but expensive at regular stores.

We had Wegoshop deliver the rest of our groceries. If we had our own car (or a rental) we would have shopped at Walmart or Publix.

Our meals consisted of:
Breakfast: Bagels and cream cheese. Coffee or soft drinks with our refillable mugs (price included in total).

Lunch and snacks: Brought into the parks in our backpacks. Water with powdered drink mix, pb&j sandwiches, goldfish crackers, cookies, granola bars, nuts and dried fruit.

Dinner: We ate in our room. We have a hot pot that we bring, so we were able to have soup or pasta with dinner rolls. Dessert was cookies or chips and dip.

We did buy a few snacks in the parks, I got one Dole Whip and my husband got lefse a couple of times. The cost for these is also included in the amount listed above.

We always bring things we know we'll crave and enjoy eating, so bringing our own food never feels like much of a sacrifice.

Also, you mentioned that you are only planning on 2 park days? If you do 3 or more, the extra days are very cheap. Be sure to check into other ticket options that will only cost a few dollars more, but give you more time in the parks.
this is becoming a problem for us as well. it's just really expensive to eat in most of the places with waitstaff/ service. i really wish disney would just do an affordable place, just one.
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #34
mowatm
Earning My Ears

You can order a double burger with an extra bun and make two burgers out of one meal!

You can also get the meals for cheaper if you elect not to get the side it comes with typically!

Past Disney Trips:
1987 (off property), 1989 (off property), December 2004 (off property), December 2005 (off property), March 2009 (All Star Sports), December 2009 (Pop Century)

mowatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #35
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki02 View Post
this is becoming a problem for us as well. it's just really expensive to eat in most of the places with waitstaff/ service. i really wish disney would just do an affordable place, just one.
Just curious as to what you would consider to be "affordable" when eating out? Is there a price point that you would like to see and what would you expect to get for that amount?

I think that Disney does a pretty good job at offering a wide range of prices for their food. Some TS locations are more pricey than others and some of the CS locations are somewhat lackluster in their offerings. But in comparison to other theme parks, their prices are not out of line.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #36
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette

If by "free water", you mean water from the drinking fountains, then bringing Crystal Light of any "to go" mix in is a good idea. I wouldn't waste time standing in line at a CS place just to get a cup of free ice water when I only had a day or two to spend in the parks.
If the register is separate from the pickup location, you can just skip the register line and ask the CMs serving the food. The order taker won't even ring it up if it's just water, so waiting in that line is pointless. (Which finally sank in after politely waiting in line half a dozen times and being directed to the counter every time. Finally a CM told me to go straight there to order water.)
Now, if I order and pick up in the same place, obviously I wait in line.

So, no need to waste any time at all waiting in lines for water. More time for waiting in line for rides!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #37
needtoplan
Mouseketeer

Bring a soft sided cooler with you to the parks- filled with drinks- waterbottles, soda, gator-ade (we freeze two water bottles the night before keeps everything cool all day - leave two unfrozen for early part of day.)

Bring breakfast bars, portable yogurt, applesauce, individual peanut butter, graham crackers, goldfish crackers, can of pringles, nuts, trail mix, m&ms, cookies ( we store our snacks for the day in the top part of the cooler and in our backpack for the day)

Places to eat:

MK- Columbia Harbor House - feels like table service- priced like counter service-good food
AK- Flame Tree- wonderful food loved - great view by lagoon- will satisfy -very reasonable
Hollywood Studios- Pizza Planet- individual pizza and salad- kids meals are also a good option.

Epcot- Tangerine Cafe Morocco- feels like table service - priced like counter service- really great food- loved loved

Note: I don't like to spend a lot for food- these places were both good and priced very well for disney world- but we NEVER paid for drinks in the park. This one piece of advice will save you over $100.
needtoplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #38
pfalcioni
If we're not Riding, we're Disney Dreaming!

Quote:
Glad that this worked out for you. My family would mutiny and head to the closest TS location to order steaks and bottle of wine if I tried to feed them PB&J for 8 days!
Wish I had your budget.

We vacation about 5 weeks a year, and we love to travel, but we have limited funds, so we cut out the non-essentials so we're able to do what we love and still afford to make the house payments every month.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #39
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Wish I had your budget.

We vacation about 5 weeks a year, and we love to travel, but we have limited funds, so we cut out the non-essentials so we're able to do what we love and still afford to make the house payments every month.
I think it's more about what each person views as important and give and take.

we love to travel also but travelling for me also includes eating well, would I eat PB & J to go an extra week vacation? probably not, as food is an important part. For example my family and I tried the values resorts but they are simply too small for 4 large people. Now sure we could go more often if we stayed at a value but we were miserable. How much of a vacation is it if you hate the room? so now if we can't afford to stay where we are comfortable, we'll wait and save up or we'll do offsite.

I guess that's why I try to encourage those who are considering offsite as a great alternative.

If you read these boards long enough certain patterns develop.
1) if you don't stay onsite you are not getting the "magic"
2) If you don't do rope drop you won't get "every thing"
3) if you don't do adr's 180 days out you are doomed to failure.

Over 15 years I've found all of these patently untrue. You can have a great, magically vacation offsite, we did rope drop once and found it way overrated and we can eat well with out adrs.

My advice op, is to look at all the suggestions and see which ones "realistically" will work.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #40
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Yes it is about what works for you and your family. For me personally though I couldn't do the peanut butter sandwhich everyday. On about day three I would be looking for me a piece of bologna or even just a slice of cheese. LOL! But... my 4 yr old grandson can eat them everyday. LOL! That and macaroni and cheese! Disney has his favorites! LOL!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 AM   #41
smidgy
dimples

best value at MK: hubby and I split a funnel cake at sleepy hollow. with powdered sugar. very filling!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #42
maggs1035
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
One word of caution on splitting meals. We've tried this with almost every place in the world. Two things happened with us.

1) for example, at Earl of sandwich, we'd split a sandwich but by the time we brought an extra bag of chip and a water or soda, the total savings is maybe a buck or two.

2) next for example we did the combo split at Cosmic Rays and it was totally to much for me but not enough for my husband to be full. So maybe half an hour later he had the munchies and ended up snacking so once again no real savings.

So Im just saying that some times splitting may not end up being the big savings that it is reported to be. Rarely has it saved my dh and I great amounts of money.
I think that the trick here is splitting it with a child?
maggs1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #43
lilouisianagal
Mouseketeer

If you are flexible in your dates, you might be able to swing a free dining, which certainly would help on food costs!

If you aren't that flexible/patient then I always go the route of pre-scouting all of the restaurants we want to visit online to see what they offer and if we could split anything. GL!

DisneyLand Hotel 1988 Carribean Beach 1992, 1995, 2006, 2007 , 2009 Dixie Landings 1997, 1999Port Orleans 2002 Off Site: MissionAir 2004 Disney Cruise Line (Honeymoon on the Wonder): May 24-28, 2009 Pop Century 2011 Disney Cruise Line: May 27- June 1, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort 2013
lilouisianagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #44
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Earl of Sandwich is a pretty good deal - $6.95+tax per sandwich.

Bring sandwiches & snacks into the parks. You can either use a soft sided cooler or even an ice pack will keep foods cold enough to eat for a few hours.

Pizza at the Boardwalk pizza window is $17.99 for a whole pizza or $4.49 per slice.

If you'll have a car, there's a ton of places right outside DTD on 535 that are much less expensive than comparable foods at Disney establishments.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #45
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs1035 View Post
I think that the trick here is splitting it with a child?
I think it depends on how much you eat. My sister and I can share one adult meal at WDW and be good to go. But then, I'm more comfortable not eating until I am really full at WDW. Walking around the parks stuffed to the gills doesn't feel good. Plus, I always want to leave a little room for a Mickey bar!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: