Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #91
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Maybe people are getting an attitude when you complain because they themselves have a legitimate reason for using the stall that YOU can't see and they don't want (or have any obligation) to explain to you?
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #92
jahber
DIS Veteran

Just to clarify, because I feel like I must be speaking a different language: I'm not suggesting that I would ever use an HA stall in a crowded restroom if my kids were capable of standing still in the stall with me (or even right outside the stall if they were old enough). I do in fact leave my stroller in the corner of the open area and take my little kids in with me. I would, however, like to be able to wheel an infant into the stall with me. That's all. Sorry if that seems like an egregious abuse of the facilities. I just thought I might be permitted to pee in private without leaving my infant unattended.
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #93
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

If I have my infant grandson with me, he is in a wrap or front pack. No way for me to use a stroller. My older grandson at 2 1/2 walks. He hates strollers anyway.
Also I agree with the person who said that if a baby changing table is in the handicapped stall it should be low enough for a person in a wheelchair to change an infant. I have no desire to change him on a bench or table in public and baby care is often too far away.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #94
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

I think they should be low enough no matter where they are located
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #95
ppony
Artist in residence

Just read the OP. I have to respond that none of the boat staff asked carriages to be collapsed when we took them. Furthermore, my son uses his stroller as a wheelchair. So I hope the OP didn't cast stones at everyone w/ o knowing what their situations were. We didn't need to change him in the parks as he was in full meltdown within 3 hours of arriving at the park. But I would have if I had needed to. He won't tolerate changing tables in public, he won't even leave his stroller. So I need room to maneuver the stroller, him AND me. Ever try that in a single stall? Not possible.

Also, as an obese person myself, I have never had more people staring at me and some kids laughing as I have this trip. Whether I have medical issues or not that are making my weight a real severe difficulty is noone's business. I do, but I'm pushing on, doing my best for my family. For those that hate us so much, don't worry, we'll soon be housebound and die, so we won't bother you again. After this trip, I feel like going home and never leaving it again.

Last edited by ppony; 10-18-2012 at 10:04 PM.
ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #96
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujube

It's dangerous trying to use an escalator with a stroller- very unwieldy.
And illegal in some states. As I just found out this April.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #97
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218
I have 2 little ones who are autistic and I absolutely use the HC when they are in their stroller. Even if they weren't ASD I would still use it because you can't leave them alone outside the stall and sometimes it's impossible to do your business while your kids are trying to escape, looking under the stall wall at your neighbor etc. I rarely use the companion restroom with my one son because he can escape from ANY seatbelt in about 2 seconds. In the HC stall, I can catch him before he gets the door open. In the companion restroom, the door is too far from the toilet & I don't really want to make a dash for him, as he runs out the door, with my pants down. Oh, and believe me, he'd be gone before I could pull them up.
I swear, we're walking on the same road!!!! Hugs!!' I understand. Boy, do I understand.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #98
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie

Speaking of "we all wait turns for elevators," have you ever been on a cruise ship in an ECV, and tried to get on an elevator without an able-bodied companion at your side? My last cruise, in 2007, there was a bank of six elevators, 3 on each side. You could see which elevator was heading to your floor, and I would situate my ECV sort-of in front of that elevator so as to not block people who were getting off the car. As the crowd got off, a crowd of able-bodied would push to get on 'til the car was full, and my ECV was left behind. I got stuck in this situation for usually 20-30 minutes at a time, multiple times a day, every day. I talked to a crew member about this, and I was told that it was very common. He suggested a certain elevator in another area of the ship, where there wasn't a crowd. Sure enough, there were others there in wheelchairs and ECVs, waiting for the elevator. However, we were getting on the cars.

So no, I don't necessarily agree that "we all wait turns for elevators." At least, not on cruise ships. I don't plan to go on a cruise again because of the inaccessible elevators.
On the one and only cruise we have been on thus far, have witnessed this as well. We have to use them as my son can't walk the halls or stairs, but I NEVER cut in front of a wheelchair or ECV usurer waiting and am happy to say I've motioned them ahead of me many times. It was SO sad to watch.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: