Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
ducky2u
Earning My Ears

Hawaiian Disney Broadway shows

On the 14 day Hawaiian cruise do they have twice the Broadway shows as the 7 day cruise or do they just fill the shows with comedians and the like.
ducky2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

They fill in the other nights with guest entertainers. One night they had students from the school of Hula in Oahu perform. The kids ranged from ages about 5 to 18. Very enjoyable performance. The younger ones were darling, while the oldest were so very graceful.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
clten
DIS Veteran

It doesn't matter the length of the cruise. They only have so much space to store costumes, scenery and props. So 3 full shows is the max. They do have guest entertainers, beyond the regular comedians/jugglers. I think they have done some shows that have used some of the scenery/props from the other shows. So they aren't a full show but not just a variety act either. (For the life of me can't remember the name of the show they had on the Hawaiian cruise, but they've had it on other longer sailings too.) And if I remember correctly, they brought Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer back to the WDT for one night.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
aan1701
DIS Veteran

With any luck maybe John Charles will be onboard. On our may cruise his adult show set a new DCL record of 90-93 min. I can't remember. He just took off his watch saying he was having to much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
With any luck maybe John Charles will be onboard. On our may cruise his adult show set a new DCL record of 90-93 min. I can't remember. He just took off his watch saying he was having to much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I hope he's there, too.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I hope he's there, too.

We spoke to him on the inaugural cruise out of Galveston and he mentioned he will be on the Hawaii cruise.

HTHs!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
We spoke to him on the inaugural cruise out of Galveston and he mentioned he will be on the Hawaii cruise.

HTHs!
Yayyyyyyy!

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Can't specifically address Hawaii, but they can't bring on extra scenery, etc as they have limited storage space. Also, the cast can only rehearse and do so much.

On 14 night TAs and Panama Canal cruise, the theater staff did some relatively more simple shows--Once Upon a Song, a tribute to Walt Disney, etc. They also brought on outside performers. Some cruised with us part of the way (or all the way) and others came on for only one night. You will not have any repeats, and something will be happening in the theater each night....and only one night will be a movie. They'll keep you busy.

Once Upon a Song used the stairs from Twice Charmed and featured 5 or 6 of the performers with a couple of costumes each and very few props. Much more simple than a Broadway style show, but very enjoyable. In Barcelona, we had a flamenco team--amazing. In Curacao, Susan Egan and her accompanist came on for just that evening--again, amazing. We even skipped dinner to see her show a second time. (she played Belle on Broadway and did the voice of Meg). On another long cruise we had a concert by Jodi Benson (voice of Barbie in Toy Story, etc).
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
Can't specifically address Hawaii, but they can't bring on extra scenery, etc as they have limited storage space. Also, the cast can only rehearse and do so much.

On 14 night TAs and Panama Canal cruise, the theater staff did some relatively more simple shows--Once Upon a Song, a tribute to Walt Disney, etc. They also brought on outside performers. Some cruised with us part of the way (or all the way) and others came on for only one night. You will not have any repeats, and something will be happening in the theater each night....and only one night will be a movie. They'll keep you busy.

Once Upon a Song used the stairs from Twice Charmed and featured 5 or 6 of the performers with a couple of costumes each and very few props. Much more simple than a Broadway style show, but very enjoyable. In Barcelona, we had a flamenco team--amazing. In Curacao, Susan Egan and her accompanist came on for just that evening--again, amazing. We even skipped dinner to see her show a second time. (she played Belle on Broadway and did the voice of Meg). On another long cruise we had a concert by Jodi Benson (voice of Barbie in Toy Story, etc).
Jodi Benson-aka Ariel the little mermaid!
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
sambycat
DIS Veteran

yes, i think her ariel credit goes above barbie!

sambycat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
I immediately thought the same thing!!!
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Started With a Mouse View Post
I immediately thought the same thing!!!
Me too!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Yes, I agree that Ariel is much bigger than Barbie....but I couldn't remember what else she had done....that's why I put "Etc." She also does public appearances, etc. for Disney, which she talked about at her show.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

John Charles was on the other Hawaiian cruise as well. His wife is a lovely Hawaiian woman so the cruises give them an opportunity to visit her family. She performed with him on the ship, and from the way they looked at each other, it was obvious they're very much in love with each other.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: