Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
Kate and Pete
You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you're sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey1Fan View Post
horseshowmom - thank you, imagine another stupid dog eating bells, who would have thought. I'll give him olive oil, it is too late to induce vomitting at this point.

Hannathy - the bells are little and covered in what I think is rabbit fur. The other one eats the treats found in the litter box - LOL. Furball sitting grandpuppies is more challenging than I thought.

A friends puppy ate an entire leather belt - it cost them a lot too in emergency surgery. I hope this bell goes through him and that it happens before DS and DDIL are back.

If they're just little bells covered in fur, I'm sure they'll pass right through! We have three boxers, and the things they eat.... We've never had any issues. And, yes, they've eaten more than their fair share of cat toys - many of them rabbit fur, and it has always come out alright in the end!
Books

First trip ever - 5th wedding anniversary - Offsite, Pres. Week, 2007

Celebrating Our 30th B-days - POP, Pres. Week, 2008

Last minute "Get me out of Maine or I'll go crazy" trip - POP, Pres. Week, 2009
Kate and Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
lesroi
Glad to see it is up and running
That sure is a kick in the pants!
MY DAD makes the best yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

Just keep a close eye on them. Having had a few encounters with dog intestinal obstructions, I can tell you the outcome is not pretty if you have an untreated one.

The symptoms of obstruction will include a lot of whining, pacing, attempts to vomit and poop, etc.

You will notice this in less than 5 days, especially with a small breed like a Pug.

If you have the financial means, I would suggest an x-ray for the one who ate the cat toy. With regard to the "kitty snickers" snacker, you need to curb this or it could result in pancreatitis. Also very unpleasant!

Good luck!

Tracy
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney st8 of mind View Post
I'm glad (or grossed out) to see that my dog wasn't the only stupid one to get in the cat box. We learned real quick to keep that room guarded by a baby gate! My DH once referred to the dog as a "turd burgler"
It's a pretty common problem. We keep our litter box behind a baby gate too.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

My sister calls them Kitty Kookies! and for the record her Golden regularly experienced desert and he lived into his mid teens a very long life for a Golden.

This dog also ate 3 remote controls, whole loaves of white bread (another very bad thing) and 1 time 2 pounds of chocolate fudge! -thought that was gonna be the end but nope! He was always eating things.

I wouldn't worry about the fur at all, that is natural and in the wild animals eat fur, it will pass, And the bell being round I think that will pass also. It is when it is soft like a sock and can get tangled around things or sharp when there is the biggest problem.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #20
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

OP, if you have any trouble administering the olive oil, just go to a pharmacy and get a syringe (you can ask for it without the needle).

1 tsp = 5ml (or 5cc) so be sure to get a syringe big enough to hold it so you can do it all at once. It shouldn't hurt to give it every day until you see the bell again.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
mowatm
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
And as a puppy cost us quite a bit at the emergency vet when she decided to eat a tampon.

Past Disney Trips:
1987 (off property), 1989 (off property), December 2004 (off property), December 2005 (off property), March 2009 (All Star Sports), December 2009 (Pop Century)

mowatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Mickey1Fan, hi, long time since we spoke.

Hope M&M are having a great time on their belated honeymoon, just a bit bad for you to be left in this situation!! Our last cat had problems with fur in his intestines and the vet gave us some greasy stuff to feed him each day, so it sounds like you're doing the right thing with the olive oil.

Keep us posted with how it's going and don't worry too much.

E
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
Mickey1Fan
He had five fingers and was wearing white gloves

Eliza32 - hi. It has been ages. I'll send you an email.

So far so good with the dog! He is OK so far! The other one - she is kept from the litter box.

It has been an experience, my cat is here too and she does NOT like the dogs or the other cats. She has claimed the upstairs landing and is keeping the dogs at bay on the stairs - they are not supposed to be upstairs anyway.

Six more sleeps til furball mommy and daddy are home (maybe 5 if they don't stay in Toronto with DDIL parents for a night)

Last trip...WDW Port Orleans French Quarter and DCL Disney Fantasy September 2013

Dreams Take Flight Group Leader 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
http://yyz.dreamstakeflight.ca/
Mickey1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #24
lilouisianagal
Mouseketeer

With a small round bell I would probably wait it out if you didn't bring them in within the first hour or so to induce vomiting. As long as pug is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping normally, you should be okay. Just check for the bell after each BM.

We had a foster lab who decided that the bagged cookies on the table smelled delicious. So he ate one plastic baggie and all. It came out a few days later, but it was rather nerve racking for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
And as a puppy cost us quite a bit at the emergency vet when she decided to eat a tampon.
We had a dachshund come in to the vet clinic where I work who was ill but the owner wasn't able to pursue further treatment. Post-euthanasia exploratory turned up TWO tampons. Tampon strings don't mix well with intestines!

DisneyLand Hotel 1988 Carribean Beach 1992, 1995, 2006, 2007 , 2009 Dixie Landings 1997, 1999Port Orleans 2002 Off Site: MissionAir 2004 Disney Cruise Line (Honeymoon on the Wonder): May 24-28, 2009 Pop Century 2011 Disney Cruise Line: May 27- June 1, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort 2013
lilouisianagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #25
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

There is a lesson to be learned -- by the pet owners.

Leave instructions and authorization in case of emergency.

It's a good thing that relatives (you) were called as opposed to the neighbor's kid to come take care of the dogs. What if there was an actual emergency but the caretaker ('s parent if a kid) took the dog to the veterinarian but refused to sign the papers and refused to up-front the expenses?

Or maybe it was not necessarily better that relatives were called. Regrettably many friendships and relationships end in a fiery manner if an emergency of this kind happens.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 10-08-2012 at 06:18 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #26
Mickey1Fan

It is all OK but yes lesson learned and I will be making sure DS knows for future to leave all the necessary information for emergency pet care. We are not a family to over react although I am happy that a neighbour is not looking after them, although a neighbour would not know the dog ate a cat toy - LOL

I've never owned dogs so it did not even occur to me that things can and do happen. I'm also not a fan of dogs, and these two just want to sit on me - all the time! I have a cat that is rarely affectionate so this drives me nuts.

Last trip...WDW Port Orleans French Quarter and DCL Disney Fantasy September 2013

Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #27
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
There is a lesson to be learned -- by the pet owners.

Leave instructions and authorization in case of emergency.

It's a good thing that relatives (you) were called as opposed to the neighbor's kid to come take care of the dogs. What if there was an actual emergency but the caretaker ('s parent if a kid) took the dog to the veterinarian but refused to sign the papers and refused to up-front the expenses?

Or maybe it was not necessarily better that relatives were called. Regrettably many friendships and relationships end in a fiery manner if an emergency of this kind happens.
In addition, I always call the vet before I go and leave my credit card number with instructions that if anyone comes in with one of my pets to just treat it and I would be responsible for the bill. If one of my toy dogs had swallowed a cat toy, I would expect the caregiver to call the vet and see if she wanted to see the dog? Toy dogs can go downhill really fast.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
Mickey1Fan

So, here is an update, I cut open one of the toys and there is no bell, I thought it was a bell based on the sound. It is a fur covered ball of rubber or plastic and little tiny stones inside. The dogs have a raw food diet so these tiny stones aren't going to do anything. Also, it has been three nights and dog is not under any duress, he is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping!

Today he ate part of my dad's slipper and the other one was chewing something shiny, turned out to be my mom's earring and she didn't even notice the dog pulled it out when she was licking her ear (dog, not my Mom - ROFL).

So, I'm just not going to worry about this at all! Stupid Dogs is all I have to say.

Thanks for all your advise, encouragement, discouragement, so on, and so forth!

I will advise DS and DDIL to leave vet information and a credit card for charges for future animal sitting adventures.

The cats are just so easy other than the standoff this morning when their cat kicked my cat out of the spot she has claimed - never a dull moment!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #29
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

I'm sensing that you're not particularly impressed with the canine furbabies!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #30
Mickey1Fan

Thumbs down

Eliza32 - this would be a most accurate assessment!

I don't know where the thumbs down came from or how to delete it...

Last edited by Mickey1Fan; 10-08-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: