Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
busy mom
Mouseketeer

Celiac ?????

DD (21 yrs) was just diagnosed with Celiac. Can anyone recommend any resources (books, websites) that can get us better educated?

Thank you!!!

My kids drive me crazy...I drive them everywhere else.
busy mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Celiac.com
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
tootsiemolly
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Mouseketeer

I was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago. Find a gluten free store in your area. You will be able to see all kinds of gluten free products in a confined area. "Tom Sawyer" flour is the best! Google it. You can buy it online and they will ship it. It is the best to bake with. You just use it like regular flour. You do nt need to add xanthum gum. It makes normal tasting chocolate chip cookies. My favorite things are rice crackers from Costco, bolthouse salad dressing, mission chips, kettle chips, hamburgers on a gf bun at red robin, steak and a gf brownie at outback, see's chocolates, mission corn taco shells, delimex taquitos, McCormick seasonings, Heinz ketchup, la Victoria green sauce, pei Wei gf sweet and sour chicken. I hope this helps. I live on Mexican food.
tootsiemolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
mistysue
DIS Veteran

You should let her know that I think it's Pizza Hut- they did this big ad thing maybe last spring about how they have a gluten free pizza- it's not actually gluten free!

Finding a gluten free local store can be helpful, but if it's a small shop they likely have very inflated prices. Mine sells boxes of cookies for $6.99. They are $5.99 at Walmart and $3.99 at Meijer all for the same ones. The prices can be wildly different by location. We get most of our cooking supplies online. Bob's red mill pancake mix makes heavy pancakes but amazing waffles. We like them better than non-gluten free.

I like vacations.
mistysue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
You should let her know that I think it's Pizza Hut- they did this big ad thing maybe last spring about how they have a gluten free pizza- it's not actually gluten free!
It's Dominos. The issue, as I understand it, is they cannot guarantee their stores do not cross contaminate with the wheat flour used in the regular pizza crusts.

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
Where'sPiglet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
erinmomof2
Mouseketeer

I have Celiac and so does my 5 year old daughter. I don't know of any good resources, but I can say that it gets easier. We were both diagnosed 3 years ago and I didn't know anything about celiac. But I checked out a few books from the Library and just started reading the labels of everything. Once you know what to look for it's easy to find gf products. There are more and more cereals that are gf, I love Bob's Red Mill gf all purpose flour and substitute it in all my recipes, Nut Thins are great crackers, and Udi makes a pretty decent bread. A lot of gf products taste bad so it's a lot of trial and error to find what you like. I also do a lot of my own baking because I enjoy it. My daughters favorite gf recipe is for peanut butter cookies. Just 1 cup of peanut butter, one egg, and one cup of sugar. Mix it up, drop balls onto the cookie sheet and flatten a little, and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Super easy and tastes just like a regular peanut butter cookie.

Honestly at first it seems really overwhelming and it is difficult figuring out what you can and can't eat. But it really does get easier with time and my daughter and I have no problem now. Even she knows what she can and cannot eat. I would also suggest that you and your DH get tested for Celiac because my doctor said it's often genetic. My daughter was diagnosed first and I found out I had it after the doctor recommended testing. My symptoms were VERY different than my daughters. She was very sick and I had no idea I had anything wrong. I do feel better since changing my diet.

Lots of restaurants have gf options too now. We eat out a lot and our favorites are PF Changs, Outback, Chili's, Red Robin, and Chipotle. Nearly every restaurant will provide you with an allergen list if you ask for it. And I find my daughter and I can still eat out at most restaurants.

PM me if you have any questions!
My blog: http://changingplates.blogspot.com/
A blog about changing to a whole foods diet.
erinmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
jennykay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO
Celiac.com
Yes. This is a great site. They have a friendly and active forum too.
The DIS-abilities forum here is another good resource.
The book "Living Gluten-Free for Dummies" was helpful for me. (I am non-celiac gluten intolerant.). I got it from the library.
It will be hard for a while, but she'll be feeling so much better within a few weeks and that will make it easier.

1989-offsite
1992-one day in MK-offsite
9/2007-Pop Century - MNSSHP
9/2008-ASMovies
10/2012-Pop Century
jennykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
jennykay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmomof2
My daughters favorite gf recipe is for peanut butter cookies. Just 1 cup of peanut butter, one egg, and one cup of sugar. Mix it up, drop balls onto the cookie sheet and flatten a little, and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Super easy and tastes just like a regular peanut butter cookie.

Honestly at first it seems really overwhelming and it is difficult figuring out what you can and can't eat. But it really does get easier with time and my daughter and I have no problem now. Even she knows what she can and cannot eat. I would also suggest that you and your DH get tested for Celiac because my doctor said it's often genetic. My daughter was diagnosed first and I found out I had it after the doctor recommended testing. My symptoms were VERY different than my daughters. She was very sick and I had no idea I had anything wrong. I do feel better since changing my diet.
Oh, these cookies are really good. We've drizzled melted chocolate on top after they were baked and that was yummy too.

Yes, I realized my dd was probably intolerant after I was diagnosed when I was reading about some of the possible symptoms in the Gluten-Free for Dummies book (I forgot to say it's written by Danna Korn.) Her ped recommended removing gluten from her diet for 3 weeks to find out. So, the whole family went gf for 3 weeks, and dh was the only one of us who didn't feel noticeably better. Then we did a "challenge" where we all ate gluten and holy h-e-double-hockey-sticks was that a bad few days at my house. That was a year ago, and after that we were all much happier with our new way of eating. All that to say it is worth checking whether you and your dh are affected as well. As of now, me, dd, both ds's, and one sister are gluten free, and I have a strong suspicion that my other sis, niece, and mom in law don't tolerate gluten either.

I think the hardest thing for us has been bread. Store bought GF bread is not the best. It's easier to make at home than regular bread (no kneading!) and I like to bake a lot of our stuff, but for quick lunches we tend to eat crackers with our deli meat and cheese.

At first, I remember feeling I couldn't eat anything but rice. I was pretty miserable the first couple of weeks. It really does get better.

1989-offsite
9/2008-ASMovies
10/2012-Pop Century
Old 10-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Aneille
I am still looking for mafia members
And why don't boys play ringette?

Betty Crocker also makes GF cake mix, brownie, cookie and pancake mix.

I like their pancake mix the best so far.

Uno's, Legal Seafood, 99 Restaurant, British Beer Company, The Chateau all have gluten free menu's. I think the Olive Garden as one as well.

Some of these are more local restaurant chains but as you can see there are many to choose from.

In my town there are also numerous small restaurants that also serve gluten free pizzas or pasta's. You just need to ask.

My daughter lives on GF Cinnamon Chex Cereal.

One thing to be careful with are nacho/BBQ flavorings on chips and rice cakes etc. Regular Nacho Doritos are not gluten free yet their cool ranch are. The nice thing is Frito-Lay lists all items that contain gluten right on their website.

The BBQ/nacho thing even a year later throws me sometimes. I accidently bought BBQ rice cakes the other day in a multi pack and didn't realize they had barley until after everyone ate a few.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
jennykay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneille

One thing to be careful with are nacho/BBQ flavorings on chips and rice cakes etc. Regular Nacho Doritos are not gluten free yet their cool ranch are. The nice thing is Frito-Lay lists all items that contain gluten right on their website.

The BBQ/nacho thing even a year later throws me sometimes. I accidently bought BBQ rice cakes the other day in a multi pack and didn't realize they had barley until after everyone ate a few.
They regular Doritos are no longer made with wheat - but many of the ones at the store are still the older ones that aren't gf. If you check the bags you can find the newer wheat free ones. (DS was thrilled!)

Ugh-bbq. I did the same thing with bbq lay's.

1989-offsite
9/2008-ASMovies
10/2012-Pop Century
Old 10-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gluten-Fre...ten-free+bible

this is my favorite book and resource. i was about that age when i was diagnosed. i remember i had days when i actually cried. at the time i could not get GF bread, cookies, flour, etc at stores in my area. restaurants were hard to find at first and for a while i really wasn't GF because i kept accidentally eating it. that book will go through everything.

Trader Joes has a great GF selection and the prices are some of the best i have seen.

in addition to food things she will need to research and replace: medications, beauty products that may be consumed (including anything that goes on the lips), anything that touches the lips (paper products, i stopped licking envelopes for fear they may have gluten), oh and flour can stay in the air for several hours, so if you may want to stop baking at home with regular flour as she could breathe it in and it will coat the kitchen.

and since she is a college kid she will need to be careful at bars. some mixers may contain gluten and of course she cant have most beer, malt beverages, whiskey etc.

i love http://www.redapplelipstick.com/. if you sign up for the newsletter you get notifications of sales and discounts.

also find a few GF blogs to follow as that makes it easier to keep up to date on new things going on in the GF world.

i also read wholeliving magazine. you really need to rethink your approach to eating and food and to me it was a big inspiration. it introduced me to a lot of new foods including great GF alternatives.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
MineMail
DIS Veteran

Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are good sources of GF foods and they have recipes on their websites as well. The latest GF find is Quinoa, which is GF and protein-rich. Many people use it as a side dish in place of grain or pasta.

Gluten can turn up in the oddest places, like soy sauce. Some brands use fermented wheat in the recipe, which of course means gluten. It's tricky, so you'll have to be very store- and brand-conscious.

Cross-contamination is a major problem as well. As a friend explained it, it's not just at the factory. Open jars of peanut butter, jelly, mayo, etc. might pick up crumbs from previous uses if someone isn't careful. (Ex: double-dipping while making a PB&J sandwich on whole wheat)

I have some friends and family with Celiac and Gluten Intolerance. When I know they're coming for a party or meal, I open new jars of everything and fix their dishes first, covering them carefully before preparing anything else.
MineMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
janiejake
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by busy mom View Post
DD (21 yrs) was just diagnosed with Celiac. Can anyone recommend any resources (books, websites) that can get us better educated?

Thank you!!!
Try CeliacChicks.com

ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
Past visits:78,81,90,92,96,97(all off site), 5/99DxL, 2/00DxL,3/00DxL&CSR,3/03POR&Swan,12/03POR, 1/06POR, 3/09 POR, 3/11 POR 1/12 POR/POFQ 12/31/14-01/02/151/13 ASSp
janiejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #14
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

If you have an Iphone/Ipod Touch grab the app 'Is That Gluten Free?'.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmomof2 View Post
My daughters favorite gf recipe is for peanut butter cookies. Just 1 cup of peanut butter, one egg, and one cup of sugar. Mix it up, drop balls onto the cookie sheet and flatten a little, and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Super easy and tastes just like a regular peanut butter cookie.
!
Thanks - just whipped up a batch of these for dd. She has a dance competition today, will be there all day, and there is never anything gf to buy there. She had a gf pasta salad, but these will be great for later.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: