Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #1126
kimmar067
Kimmie Moo Boo Boo
I知 SERIOUS..milk just fell from my --- udder

....it happened right after I had copied [to paste, in the event of something like this happening again] what I had completed so far. I went back to photobucket to get another pic to post when, suddenly * WHAM! *, gone....all gone!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
Old 12-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #1127
kimmar067
Kimmie Moo Boo Boo

....if you want, I'll post the pix I took, but I'm not rewriting all that prose again...
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #1128
kimmar067
Kimmie Moo Boo Boo

....I was invited by my sister to accompany her to bring my niece back to college in Pittsburgh during Thanksgiving weekend. It's aptly called:

Girls' Weekend in Pittsburgh

...we left shortly before 9AM on Saturday morning, since, on a good day it's a 6-hour trek. Of course, we had to fight the Penn State football fans, jockeying for position along Route 80, as they made their way towards the exit for Route 99 and State College, Pa. and that mecca of sorts, Beaver Stadium...

....after an hour-long trip via Route 28, noting the Allegheny to our left, we finally were nearing Pittsburgh, passing the Heinz Ketchup factory and the 'financial district', glancing at, what I can only describe as the "Hogwarts of the U.S.":

...making a left, we entered 'Duquesne territory' and entered a very ghost town-like campus:

...up on 'the Bluff', I briefly snapped this shot after we parked the car, to unpack and transport her belongings to her dorm room. This was my niece's view during her freshman year:

...satisfied that her 'stuff' was settled and in its place, we ventured out into the brisk cold again (it had to be a good 20-degrees colder here than back home!) to do some exploring/touring of the city, but not before paying homage to 'Scary Jesus'. "WHAT??!?!? Scary Jesus?? Judie, that's sacreligious and rude!" Well, that's what I thought, until I came face-to-face with said scary deity:

.....not only does this 'King of Kings' depict someone of gauntness, pain, and suffering, but his visage closely resembles an alien. I don't know WHAT the artist was trying to portray, but Jesus' countenance was definitely scary, and let's just leave it at that....

....once again in the car, we headed towards downtown and Market Square, sadly, not to get a chance to sample one of those famed Primanti Brothers 'sammiches' [we'd stopped at a MacDonald's along Route 80 around noon and our sights were set on the Hofbrau House later in the evening]:

....passing some of the local shopping, including Macy's, we were pleasantly surprised with the hustle and bustle that we encountered at Market Square. Unbeknownst to my sister and her daughter, there had been a holiday parade that morning, with a tree-lighting ceremony [that's what we were told]. However, the square was festively decorated, along with small 'kiosks' where you could purchase holiday decorations, gifts, and local cuisine and even have a visit with Santa:

...in keeping with holiday tradition, horse-drawn rides are offered for both visitors and citizens of Pittsburgh:

...jokingly, my sister's family has dubbed the glass building in the background 'Emerald City', because of the pointy spires and the glass's green hue, especially on a bright sunny day! After some serious browsing and shopping, it was time to check into the hotel, so we returned to the car and headed towards one of the MANY bridges (sheesh, I thought the 5 boroughs of NYC had a lot of bridges!) that traverse across the Monongahela River. Actually, I think it was the Smithfield Street one, since we were heading towards the Station Square area and the Monongahela Incline. We settled into our room to freshen up, use the bathroom, and just briefly unwind:

...the Sheraton [where we were staying] was apparently a 'hotbed' of comings and goings - it seems that there was some sort of hockey tournament going on, and crowds of 'hockey families' from across the country, as well as Canada, were also staying here, not to mention that this was the location of TWO wedding ceremonies/receptions taking place...

....we waited downstairs in the lobby for the complimentary shuttle that would take us to the South Side. YAY!! We were on our way to Hofbrau Haus! After a brief 15-minute wait, the shuttle arrived, from its last destination, as we climbed aboard...next stop - Hofbrau Haus:

...for the return trip, my sister was told that another shuttle would be returning in 2o minutes or so; we decided to brave the cold and walk around the square:

....my sister has a name for this cinema, too; She calls it the 'Back-to-the-Future' movie theater, because that's what it reminds her, and quite frankly, I agree!

[...continued below...]

Last edited by kimmar067; 12-15-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #1129
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067
....I was invited by my sister to accompany her to bring my niece back to college in Pittsburgh during Thanksgiving weekend. It's aptly called:

Girls' Weekend in Pittsburgh

...we left shortly before 9AM on Saturday morning, since, on a good day it's a 6-hour trek. Of course, we had to fight the Penn State football fans, jockeying for position along Route 80, as they made their way towards the exit for Route 99 and State College, Pa. and that mecca of sorts, Beaver Stadium...

....after an hour-long trip via Route 28, noting the Allegheny to our right, we finally were nearing Pittsburgh and the 'financial district', passing, what I can only describe as the "Hogwarts of the U.S.":

...making a left, we entered 'Duquesne territory' and entered a very ghost town-like campus:

I briefly snapped this shot after we parked the car, to unpack and transport her belongings to her dorm room. This was my niece's view during her freshman year:

...satisfied that her 'stuff' was settled and in its place, we ventured out into the brisk cold again (it had to be a good 20-degrees colder here than back home!) to do some exploring/touring of the city, but not before paying homage to 'Scary Jesus'. "WHAT??!?!? Scary Jesus?? Judie, that's sacreligious and rude!" Well, that's what I thought, until I came face-to-face with said scary deity:

.....not only does this 'King of Kings' depict someone of gauntness, pain, and suffering, but he closely resembles an alien. I don't know WHAT the artist was trying to portray, but Jesus' countenance was definitely scary, and let's just leave it at that....

....once again in the car, we headed towards downtown and Market Square, sadly, not to get a chance to sample one of those famed Primanti Brothers 'sammiches' [we'd stopped at a MacDonald's along Route 80 around noon and our sights were set on the Hofbrau House later in the evening]:

....passing some of the local shopping, including Macy's, we were pleasantly surprised with the hustle and bustle that we encountered at Market Square. Unbeknownst to my sister and her daughter, there had been a holiday parade that morning, with a tree-lighting ceremony [that's what we were told]. However, the square was festively decorated, along with small 'kiosks' whree you could purchase holiday decorations, gifts, and local cuisine:

...in keeping with holiday tradition, horse-drawn rides are offered for both visitors and citizens of Pittsburgh:

...jokingly, my sister's family is dubbed the glass building in the background 'Emerald City', because of the pointy spires and the glass's green hue, especially on a bright sunny day!
Great post just to say I really enjoyed the pics and reading your encounter! Lol re scary jesus!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #1130
kimmar067
Kimmie Moo Boo Boo

....we continued around the square:

...and passed the enormously HUGE Cheesecake Factory (that's got to be one of the biggest ones I've ever seen) to be greeted, just in time, by our return ride. Since we hadn't eaten dessert at Hofbrau Haus, we opted to get a dessert elsewhere, but upon arrival at our room, we were just plain exhausted, and, within 25 minutes, we were done for the night, dreaming peacefully about the day's adventures...

....the next morning our plans were to take my niece back to her room by around 11AM, so we hurried out of the Sheraton by around 8, of course, Starbucks coffee in hand. We ventured past Station Square [back in its heyday, it had been a bustling train station that had been given a rennaissance of sorts]. Crossing Carson Street, we were going to venture onto the Incline (the Duquesne Incline is further down the river, near Heinz Stadium) to get some gorgeous views of the city:

...once on 'the Hill', we quickly (since it was so windy!) hurried to the landing where one could capture some fantastic views of Pittsburgh:

....back at 'river level', we walked through Station Square; none of the stores were open, but we did get to see the pretty cool Christmas city made up entirely of candy!

....and meandered along the river bank:

....we gathered our belongings to vacate the room; I snapped a view from our room:

...check out, and headed past the cultural district and sports venues:

.....towards the Strip, home to this'n'that, and, of course, that famous Pittsburgh Popcorn! I guess the Strip can be equated to South Steet Seaport, with its 'flea-market atmosphere' and eclectic conglomerate of storefronts, including Mancini's Bread (which, of course, we sampled!) and Parma Sausage Products. Once again, arms filled with delectible goodies, we strode towards the car and bade our last good-byes to Pittsburgh, but not before dropping off my niece at her dorm, at Duquesne University....

Last edited by kimmar067; 12-15-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #1131
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
it seems I need a lesson in self restraint!
I think I was accused of tempting you at one point, so I was just teasing you!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #1132
dgbg100106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
It is so awful I can't think about it too much. My patients had the news on all day and I still can't wrap my head around it.
it is truly sad....

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #1133
dgbg100106

Thanks for the Mini TR write up Kimmar....

Glad you had a good time.

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #1134
kimmar067
Kimmie Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Thanks for the Mini TR write up Kimmar....

Glad you had a good time.
...and the best part??? Not a single worry about 'gluten-free' ANYTHING!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #1135
wendypooh
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Cajun Tinkerbell Princess
Tag Toggler
Loves kissing Tag Fairy butt ;)

Morning J's & K's - about to head out shopping, eating, shipping and maybe trying to get in a movie............. we'll see!!

Hope all of you have a great day!!

Kim, nice TR - loved the pics - you look great!!

HUGS my friends!!

** Also, a little update, we changed our Oct. F&W dates, it works out better for us to go these dates - so, our NEW (and FINAL) dates are Oct. 6 - 12th!!!

So, in my next post - I will start a F&W dates post for all of us -
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #1136
kimmar067
Kimmie Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendypooh View Post
** Also, a little update, we changed our Oct. F&W dates, it works out better for us to go these dates - so, our NEW (and FINAL) dates are Oct. 6 - 12th!!!

...until the NEXT time you change it....
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #1137
wendypooh
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Tag Toggler

Arrow

This is a list of who is going to F & W and where they will be staying! We will hopefully plan at least one meet - to be determined at a later date. ** PLEASE send me a PM if you want to be added, as, I admit sadly, I don't check in everyday, so, I do not want to miss anyone!!!

Sept. 2013

Oct. 2013
Wendypooh - Oct. 6 - 12th - Beach Club

Nov. 2013

Last edited by wendypooh; 12-15-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #1138
wendypooh
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Tag Toggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
...until the NEXT time you change it....
LOL - you act like you know me or something!!! haha

Also, not sure if you saw my other post, but, how is your brother doing??
Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #1139
wendypooh
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Tag Toggler

Talking

IF anyone has any points they might want to rent for EASTER - specifically 3/30 - 4/6 - let me know!! A friend of mine - Perry, who has rented from a couple of you - is wanting to go for Easter. IF anyone has pts. let me know, he's ready to book if your window is open. He's open to different resorts as well, except for SSR/OKW. Those of you who know him, know he's DEF. reliable and a good renter!! Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #1140
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Oh tendonitis painful poor you big hug! I was sat next to a lady receiving Actemera at my last infusion if it is tocilzumab or something like this? She was speaking highly of it. I have noticed that my liver readings are increasing so I hope that stabilises! Poor Fran I bet coming to Disney is great for you both. Do you do the cruise? We find that great also. We are on the dream this year sep 22nd for 4 nights then at SSR which is very accessible resort. May be are trying AKL! First time. :-)
I've been fitted for shoe inserts, so we'll have to see if those help. I'm not sure what the "izumab" name for the drug is, but she gets a lot of relief from it once she has 4-5 months worth of it built up in her system.

I hope that your liver readings stabilize. We just finished a Disney Cruise, it was a great time. We have another planned for April next year. We are planning on arriving in WDW on September 28 and leaving on October 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
....I was in the throes of a terrific mini TR, of sorts, when the 'puter stopped working, signed off, and I LOST EVERYTHING! ACCCKKK!!!!
Looks like you got it back. Thanks for the girls weekend TR!

Quote:

So, in my next post - I will start a F&W dates post for all of us -
Now you've changed your dates! I leave the morning after you arrive. Perhaps we can meet up and say "hi" since we're staying at the same resort.

Quote:

IF anyone has any points they might want to rent for EASTER - specifically 3/30 - 4/6 - let me know!! A friend of mine - Perry, who has rented from a couple of you - is wanting to go for Easter. IF anyone has pts. let me know, he's ready to book if your window is open. He's open to different resorts as well, except for SSR/OKW. Those of you who know him, know he's DEF. reliable and a good renter!! Thanks
I thought you said that he was going to buy into DVC!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: