Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
andersonsc
Mouseketeer

Ever heard of cateracts in a 7 year old!?

I was just reading another thread that discussed eye screenings at school and taking kids to the optometrist / ophthalmologist.

Just wanted to share our story to see if anyone else has had this. My 7 year old is very smart but has a difficult time reading. This school year I asked the school RN to do a vision screening again. He has always passed before. This time he failed. He never complains about his vision. Took him Monday to eye doc.

He has cateracts in both eyes!! The optomotrist saw them and called an opthalmologist in to confirm. Yep, both eyes. Cateracts that are 2/3 out of a 0-4 scale. They made us an appointment with surgeon in November and they said to expect cateract surgery after that.

They said he's probably had them since birth. No idea why, just congenital. Normal pregnancy, normal delivery. He was 2 week early b/c I did have some high blood pressure.

Kinda explains why he was always trying to move the book around when reading. While we were in the waiting room, he was watching the video they had playing of different eye conditions. They were talking about "floaters" and my son says, "I see those things in my eyes." What?! I guess to him his blurry vision and floaters have always been normal to him.

Has anyone else ever heard of cateracts in children?
andersonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

they had a few articles at the ophtamolgist that I go to about early screening before kids go to school because it can happen...also injuries can cause cataracts..
I am so glad that you got a reason for his reading problems...can you imagine how great it will be when he sees clearly..I know I was amazed when I had my eyes done...a tan house turned out to be a white house down the street.....

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

I know someone who was born with cataracts in both eyes.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: