Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #211
Speechphi
Mouseketeer

How is the app for DLR? I want to get it, but if it's mostly WDW?

countless trips to Disneyland growing up...1977, 1979, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000

trips with DH , DS 9 , DD 8 , & DD 6
6/2010 Desert Inn & Suites , 11/2011 Portofino, 6/2013 Fairfield Inn, 6/2014 PPH, 12/2014 PPH
Speechphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #212
Speechphi
Mouseketeer

Is the app any good for DLR?

countless trips to Disneyland growing up...1977, 1979, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000

trips with DH , DS 9 , DD 8 , & DD 6
6/2010 Desert Inn & Suites , 11/2011 Portofino, 6/2013 Fairfield Inn, 6/2014 PPH, 12/2014 PPH
Speechphi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #213
mt mommy
Mouseketeer

Need ideas for a GF birthday dinner. Unfortunately, we won't be in the parks yet, we arrive around 4pm on my birthday. Which restaurant would be the best for dinner and a birthday dessert?? The DLR hotels or somewhere in DTD???

Thanks for advice in advance!!
mt mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #214
jina
Mouseketeer

I had a very nice gluten free birthday lunch at Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian last month. They use the Venice Bakery flatbread as bread for the table, bread for pizza and sandwiches. It's my favorite GF pizza/flat bread and I actually buy from their web site to use at home. I am sure they have more for dinner but I had a delicious grilled fish sandwich and DH had a spinach salad.

I also special ordered (need 5 days notice) a 6" gluten free birthday cake which was decent and absolutely beautiful. I am sure they have other standard desserts but there was just something special about having someone else make me a GF cake and I would have never been able to decorate one so nicely. I was going to attach a photo but I guess I can't do that on this site- it's only for a photo and I'm not on pinterest or anything yet.
jina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #215
frank430316
Mouseketeer

Any of the hotel restaurants will do a wonderful job with a gluten-free meal (well except Trader Sam's, they're more of a bar and not very knowledgeable with allergies). If you want something very special, try Napa Rose - pricey but terrific food. A little more reasonable is Steakhouse 55, which also has very good food. And if there are children involved (or if you're simply kids at heart ), Goofy's Kitchen has a character dinner. If you want a special dessert, call ahead and they will probably be able to arrange something.

There are also wonderful restaurants in DTD, but these are not owned by Disney and so their gluten-free options might be limited (or even non-existent). I've had good luck with the larger chain restaurants (Rainforest, Tortilla Joe's) but have had to walk out of some of the others, when it was obvious they did not understand cross-contamination issues.

frank430316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #216
mt mommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jina View Post
I had a very nice gluten free birthday lunch at Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian last month. They use the Venice Bakery flatbread as bread for the table, bread for pizza and sandwiches. It's my favorite GF pizza/flat bread and I actually buy from their web site to use at home. I am sure they have more for dinner but I had a delicious grilled fish sandwich and DH had a spinach salad.

I also special ordered (need 5 days notice) a 6" gluten free birthday cake which was decent and absolutely beautiful. I am sure they have other standard desserts but there was just something special about having someone else make me a GF cake and I would have never been able to decorate one so nicely. I was going to attach a photo but I guess I can't do that on this site- it's only for a photo and I'm not on pinterest or anything yet.
Thanks so much for the insight. I have had breakfast at Storytellers and was really happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank430316 View Post
Any of the hotel restaurants will do a wonderful job with a gluten-free meal (well except Trader Sam's, they're more of a bar and not very knowledgeable with allergies). If you want something very special, try Napa Rose - pricey but terrific food. A little more reasonable is Steakhouse 55, which also has very good food. And if there are children involved (or if you're simply kids at heart ), Goofy's Kitchen has a character dinner. If you want a special dessert, call ahead and they will probably be able to arrange something.

There are also wonderful restaurants in DTD, but these are not owned by Disney and so their gluten-free options might be limited (or even non-existent). I've had good luck with the larger chain restaurants (Rainforest, Tortilla Joe's) but have had to walk out of some of the others, when it was obvious they did not understand cross-contamination issues.
I'm not sure if I will order a cake or not, but that is a good option. Thanks for the info! Can't wait!
mt mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #217
Pastalady
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanapoli View Post
Does anyone with gluten sensitivity have any experience with the Fantasmic dessert party?

We may have a chance to go close to Christmas and I was thinking about trying to get reservations as a fun holiday surprise. There's 3 of us and only 1 with gluten issues.

I'm not sure if they can/will accommodate or if they do, the desserts just aren't that tasty to make it worth while.

I'm going to call and talk with the dining people but wanted to ask here as well.
Both my daughter and husband have Celiacs. The dessert package was awesome, in fact they got more stuff than I did lol! They each got a huge fruit plate (like a full dinner plate full of fruit) plus I think two or three pudding parfait a things, gf cookies, gf brownie, the cheese, etc. they did stick in the rice crispy treats but they were packaged. The server told me he added them himself because he knew some people can have, some can't. I happily stuck them in my purse for myself, as DD and DH couldn't eat them.

First family trip to DL 10/2013
Pastalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #218
Kittymomm
I'm so excited

I didn't know they had GF dessert trays - I should have asked.

First magical visit July 2012
Second magical visit July 2014
Secretly taking my daughter for her 12th birthday October 2014
Kittymomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #219
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Hey guys, I am the original poster for this thread. I haven't updated this in a long time, haven't been on the Dis much until recently. And my GF sister hasn't been able to get to Disneyland in the past year or so.

I would like to keep some information available. I guess without the printed sheets being given out anymore, I am sort of at a loss with the best way of storing and keeping information here.

Should I ask the mods to delete the thread? Or shall I comb through the Dis and try to compile a list of recent experiences?

Let me know your thoughts, guys. I am open to ideas!
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:55 PM   #220
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
Should I ask the mods to delete the thread?
Don't delete the thread. The sheets with options even though outdated are a great place for people to start.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #221
ExcitedMama
Mouseketeer

Do any of you know about any medication that can be taken if you have a reaction after an inadvertent exposure to gluten? Another poster had mentioned his wife taking medication in the other GF thread but I've never heard of anything. My DH has Celiacs and it is awful when he inadvertently eats something that has been contaminated so I'd love to have medicine for him, especially before our trip to the parks next month.
ExcitedMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #222
StormyCA
Chief Troublemaker

No, No! Don't delete!! This thread is great!!!

ExcitedMama, there really isn't anything to prevent glutening symptoms if you have Celiac. It's an autoimmune reaction and they haven't come up with anything to block it. It may be a different situation for someone who has a gluten allergy or is just gluten-sensitive. I know some people swear by probiotics, but again, the science just isn't there to prove they do any good as far as preventing symptoms. God knows, I wish they'd come up with something!! There are a few drugs in various testing phases, but it'll still be years.

I've used Imodium in the past to help afterwards with the, um, lower GI stuff, hoping it will shorten the duration, but honestly I don't know if it really makes a difference or not.
StormyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #223
Corpsebride
DIS Veteran

burgers at steakhouse 55 lounge

I posted this in another thread and will happily post it here. Dh is very gluten intolerant . As we've changed his diet I've discovered that I am as well. Anyhoo.... We had burgers at steakhouse 55 lounge on Halloween. They used huge slices of gf bread. No bbq sauce though. They were amazing. Amazing. I say....... Amazing. Side of toasted fruit. And we were stuffed. Oh. It was a bacon cheddar burger. Amazing.
As far as something to take if glutened....... Probiotics, aloe and juice, a tspoon of Manuka honey and sleep......
Disneyland Hotel

(Our Disney's Fairytale Wedding Planner, Traci Banister, She is the BEST!!714~956-6726)
Our 4 Year Anniversary is right around the corner!
Corpsebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #224
jina
Mouseketeer

I am not diagnosed celiac but going gluten free did stop other autoimmune disease going on in my body. I swear by Gluten Ease 2x enzymes (gotta be the 2x - the regular ones do not work for me). I also tried a different gluten enzyme which is not on the market yet and that one did not work for me either. The enzymes are not considered effective for someone who is celiac because they cannot guarantee they will break down 100% of the gluten but I take them either when I am starting to feel like I've been glutened or when I know I am glutening myself by consuming say a few pieces of gluten pizza or a piece of gluten birthday cake - for the former, my symptoms go away within 30 min and for the latter I never experience any symptoms (digestion, foggy head, lethargy). It's a miracle for me but I use them sparingly - maybe once a month if that. I take 2 capsules generally. I buy them on Amazon and the company who makes them is Enzymatica.

Re: keeping the thread, I agree - please don't delete it. I think I posted our most recent info when we went in Aug (including the GF birthday cake I ordered) and we'll be back at Christmas where we'll be trying Steakhouse 55, Plaza Inn breakfast, Wine Country Trattoria and the Chinese place at CA now that I hear I can get a GF teriyaki bowl there! We eat so well at Disney resorts above anywhere else we've traveled so we got AP's this last trip so we'll be back as often as we can before they expire and Disney now gets nearly 100% of our travel budget. (We are in NorCal).

While Gluten Ease 2x is not marketed for celiacs I know of several who use it if they are glutened and it too cures their physical post glutening symtoms so IMO it's worth trying out but realize it is probably not stopping autoimmune reactions within the body.

Last edited by jina; 11-09-2014 at 02:54 PM.
jina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #225
ExcitedMama
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much! Even if it's not for sure it would probably be worth the risk for DH since it is just awful when he gets glutened!
ExcitedMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: