Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #1096
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Thank you Amanda. I'm really looking into this though my chances may be slim. How hard is Vero to get at 7 months? I've never even looked at the points. Darn, more research. I'll look into West Palm Beach and Melbourne. SLC doesn't have the best flight options. We're a major hub for Delta but they're so expensive to fly.
The points are high and you can get 7m but I'd be online right at 8am or calling at 9!

You won't be getting a kitchen though so studio or inn room isn't so bad. I'd go for ocean view inn room if it was just 2 people.

Quote:
Are the dues high? The kids looked like they enjoyed it but I know what you're saying, it needed to be first. That makes sense. It seems like it would be a very mellow vacation.
The dues are crazy high $7.11 this year. I projected it out over the life of the contract and it was brutal. We were looking at adding on (again) and Jeff was all hot on it....till I did that.

I can't see buying cheap points now that would mostly be used elsewhere for the next 10 years and getting killed on dues. Better to wait and buy resale in 10 years...if we really do end up thinking we want that 11m advantage to book beach cottages. Which we think we might!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #1097
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
What cruise are you looking at? Two stops in Castaway Cay sounds great! I haven't been but I've drooled over tons of pictures. I hope its as cool as I think it'll be.
It's the one leaving October 1st 2014. It's the only double dip cruise that fits our time frame. The other one we like is the Vancouver repositioning cruise. I'm also looking at using points which is totally unusual for me, but I'm not sure that we can rent out our WDW points to use them. I suppose if we go through David's we could.

I suppose I should investigate that. We could probably make some real money and even cover our dues, so we'd be staying free at that point.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #1098
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
The dues are crazy high $7.11 this year. I projected it out over the life of the contract and it was brutal. We were looking at adding on (again) and Jeff was all hot on it....till I did that.

I can't see buying cheap points now that would mostly be used elsewhere for the next 10 years and getting killed on dues. Better to wait and buy resale in 10 years...if we really do end up thinking we want that 11m advantage to book beach cottages. Which we think we might!
I've heard with the beach erosion, that the dues are really high to curtail that. It's the highest of all resorts, even more than AK.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #1099
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
It's the one leaving October 1st 2014. It's the only double dip cruise that fits our time frame. The other one we like is the Vancouver repositioning cruise. I'm also looking at using points which is totally unusual for me, but I'm not sure that we can rent out our WDW points to use them. I suppose if we go through David's we could.

I suppose I should investigate that. We could probably make some real money and even cover our dues, so we'd be staying free at that point.
You should do the 9/20 Southern out of Puerto Rico...all the cool kids are.

Jill in CO
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #1100
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I've heard with the beach erosion, that the dues are really high to curtail that. It's the highest of all resorts, even more than AK.
that and hurricane risk/repair. I will say the beach was FABULOUS.

I love AK but that's the same reason (that and higher price per points and with our age, don't necessarily need the longer contract) that we wouldn't add on there. Thankfully it's still fairly easy to get in as long as you don't want concierge or value.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #1102
jedijill

Quote:
Why yes, yes they are!

Jill in CO
Old 04-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #1103
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post

Jill in CO
Our idea is to get in some short cruises that we could either "add on" to a WDW vacay so that we get up to Gold or Platinum. I can't get Fran to understand that we can actually "take and enjoy" vacations. Her parents beat it into her that she needs to work 24/7/365 and anyone who doesn't do that is a loser. It doesn't help that 3 of our 11 apartments are in rehab and vacant right now.

Quote:
that and hurricane risk/repair. I will say the beach was FABULOUS.

I love AK but that's the same reason (that and higher price per points and with our age, don't necessarily need the longer contract) that we wouldn't add on there. Thankfully it's still fairly easy to get in as long as you don't want concierge or value.
Yeah, we've never had a problem getting in there so I don't need to add on. I don't need to add on anywhere with how may points that I have!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #1104
jedijill

Quote:
Our idea is to get in some short cruises that we could either "add on" to a WDW vacay so that we get up to Gold or Platinum. I can't get Fran to understand that we can actually "take and enjoy" vacations. Her parents beat it into her that she needs to work 24/7/365 and anyone who doesn't do that is a loser. It doesn't help that 3 of our 11 apartments are in rehab and vacant right now.

Totally understand. I just had a conversation with my coworker today trying to convince him its ok to take a vacation and recharge.

I get the money thing too. I cashed in some stock options and thought I could spend it to get my Mustang painted. Just as I obligated myself to that, my tenant in my house in Kansas City decided that she was going month to month since she is getting relocated by her job soon. So I spent this weekend working with a realtor to get my house on the market. I'm praying that the house sells quickly...It's only been 5 years since I've lived in it...ready to get rid of the albatross! I'm sure the money will work out....The big cruise isn't until late 2014.

Maybe you can convince Fran that longer cruises are actually cheaper on a per night basis.

Jill in CO
Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #1105
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:

Jill in CO

What, when, cool kids? I want in. This 9/20? Damn, I just bought DH tickets for Diana Krall on 9/24. It's it's Father's Day gift.

Cynthia, you're on this one too?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #1106
jedijill

Quote:
What, when, cool kids? I want in. This 9/20? Damn, I just bought DH tickets for Diana Krall on 9/24. It's it's Father's Day gift.

Cynthia, you're on this one too?
Yep..we are both booked. Leave the hubby at home...I booked 2 people in my room but I'm looking like I'm going solo.

Jill in CO
Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #1107
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
He seems okay today. I appreciate you sharing the link, yes I did.

I am not sure how the cleaning went today. I did have some requests for the crew though so I was hoping I would hear back. Kody has a shoe that was autographed by the musical group Family Force 5 and her stuffed Mickey that she always slept with. I know her room didn't burn so I am not sure why I didn't hear back.

Yes, they are. Tomorrow I start meeting with the contractors. This should be interesting.

I hope they call you soon and that her Mickey and shoe are salvageable.

Quote:
The points are high and you can get 7m but I'd be online right at 8am or calling at 9!

You won't be getting a kitchen though so studio or inn room isn't so bad. I'd go for ocean view inn room if it was just 2 people.

Those dues are high. The erosion reason makes sense though. I didn't realize AKV was the highest after Vero, is that due to the animals?

Not trying to age us or anything but don't you love dreaming about retirement and when the kids are all off living their lives? I do.

Quote:
Where does it leave from? And where does it cruise to? I've read great things about David's. He charges a lot so I'm thinking he keeps $3 of the $13 per point? I subscribe to his emails and I get them asking for people to sell him their points. There is a point rental shortage I guess.

Quote:

With your well known name and high post count I;m sure you could get more renting them on your own but with David's there risk and headache are gone for you.

Quote:
Why yes, yes they are!

Holy Hannah, is it a girls' cruise. I mean, I know they allow men on but is this a DIS thing?

Quote:
Yep..we are both booked. Leave the hubby at home...I booked 2 people in my room but I'm looking like I'm going solo.

Jill in CO

How fun! I'm so jealous. What's the itinerary and where are you leaving from?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #1108
jedijill

Leaving from San Juan and visiting Antigua, St Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, and St Kitts!

Day Port Ashore Onboard
1 San Juan, Puerto Rico — 7:00 p.m.
2 At Sea — —
3 St. John's, Antigua 7:00 a.m. 4:45 p.m.
4 Castries, St. Lucia 7:15 a.m. 4:45 p.m.
5 St. George's, Grenada 7:00 a.m. 4:45 p.m.
6 Bridgetown, Barbados 7:00 a.m. 4:45 p.m.
7 Basseterre, St. Kitts 12:00 p.m. 5:30 p.m.
8 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00 a.m. —

I'm so excited!!!

Jill in CO
Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #1109
rentayenta

Quote:
Leaving from San Juan and visiting Antigua, St Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, and St Kitts!

Day Port Ashore Onboard
1 San Juan, Puerto Rico — 7:00 p.m.
2 At Sea — —
3 St. John's, Antigua 7:00 a.m. 4:45 p.m.
4 Castries, St. Lucia 7:15 a.m. 4:45 p.m.
5 St. George's, Grenada 7:00 a.m. 4:45 p.m.
6 Bridgetown, Barbados 7:00 a.m. 4:45 p.m.
7 Basseterre, St. Kitts 12:00 p.m. 5:30 p.m.
8 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00 a.m. —

I'm so excited!!!

Jill in CO

Sounds incredible. Antigua looks amazing. And I've heard Barbados is unreal. I love tropical more than anything. I can see why you're excited. What a great trip! Will you leave the ship everyday? Have you been to any of those ports?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #1110
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:

I hope they call you soon and that her Mickey and shoe are salvageable.

Those dues are high. The erosion reason makes sense though. I didn't realize AKV was the highest after Vero, is that due to the animals?

Not trying to age us or anything but don't you love dreaming about retirement and when the kids are all off living their lives? I do.

Where does it leave from? And where does it cruise to? I've read great things about David's. He charges a lot so I'm thinking he keeps $3 of the $13 per point? I subscribe to his emails and I get them asking for people to sell him their points. There is a point rental shortage I guess.

With your well known name and high post count I;m sure you could get more renting them on your own but with David's there risk and headache are gone for you.

Holy Hannah, is it a girls' cruise. I mean, I know they allow men on but is this a DIS thing?

How fun! I'm so jealous. What's the itinerary and where are you leaving from?
Lol! Jeff and I are booked, not leaving him at home. We are ditching all the kids though. You and Michael should do the same

Jeff plans for retirement now, not aging us at all, just a reality, although he is convinced it's happening sooner than I think is realistic,

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: