Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #271
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Nothing wrong with the Marriott - and the location is good. So, if that's what your preference is, go with it.

FYI.

From the Hyatt Regency, they could hop on the F-line street car to get to Fisherman's Wharf. It will drop them close to Pier 39.
The hotel is also really close i.e., walking distance to the Ferry Building and there are one or two restaurants there. I liked Slanted Door; which serves Pan-Asian food. There are other cafes and restaurants at the Ferry Building and there could be a farmer's market out on Saturday.

And I know there is a Noah's Bakery around the corner from the hotel as a cheaper alternative for breakfast. It opens early.

There is a food court/strip on the other side of the hotel, near the Embarcadero shopping complex but it opens a bit later; maybe around 9. If they are later risers, then this will not be a problem.

I walked into Union Square from this hotel most days. It was about a 10 - 15 minute walk. But if they wanted to, they could catch a MUNI bus down Market street or the F-line or hop on the BART for a couple of stations down.

Good luck with the planning. Sounds like the boys will have a great time.

ETA - When we stayed at the Hyatt Regency, we flew in via SFO. We caught the BART (with our luggage) and got off at the Embarcadero, then walked to the hotel. It was relatively straightforward and saved us the taxi fare.

Like a Disney trip, I'm getting more input from you all then DH. Unlike a Disney trip, I'm not even going.

They're flying into Oakland as it was non-stop and cheaper. Everything decent into SFO had a stop. If my brother in law isn't working, he'll pick them up. If he is then I'm not sure, maybe the hotels have shuttles? I would think the Hyatt does?

I like the idea of the Hyatt better and with the F line right there....that makes for easier mobility. And Hyatts are just beautiful. I stayed in a Hyatt in SF some 20 years ago but can't remember which one. Bad relationship- think I blocked most of it out.

Thanks for the tip on Noah's. It looks like both hotels charge extra for internet. I'm already booked at the FW hotel. I think I'll book the Hyatt too just to be safe and then cancel one as it gets closer and they actually get involved with their planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc at last ! View Post
Our trip to WDW AK was our first time staying there also. We do not
own there. When we all decided to go this past trip it was just a few months before trip (we were very busy for the past 12 plus months - planning for daughter's July 2012 Royal Wedding as we call it !)and she lives in DC so it was a lot of trips, calls and emails so.........................we could not get BCV (Host resort therefore bus service to the run) or BWV we were on waitlists till the bitter end.
We stayed at Kidani and could hardly believe we snatched Jambo CL for 3 nites (must have called at the right time because there is never a opening) then to OKW. I love the theming at OKW and the rooms are very spacious. We did stay at CL one other time at GF -Sugar Loaf Lodge a few years ago. It was very great !
It was also a CM discount !
Having the CL was amazing. Here is a list of offerings :
6-7 am coffee
7-10:30 breakfast
11:30-3 refreshments
3-4:30 afternoon tea
5-7 wine and cheese selections
8-10 cordials and desserts
There was always a delicious selection of food.
Daughter is vegetarian and son is vegan so they had many things for for to enjoy and they made sure that there was always soy and rice milk for them.
(The parents are not picky and eat everything and anything !)
Loved the Officer and a Gentleman pic - very cute !
The AoA looks very colorful - love the fishy theme - maybe cause I am a Pisces, too !
Loved the Food Court at ASM - too many years ago.
TOT Run they loved it and have done others at Disney including the Marathon and the F&W. It was the first time our daughter did end up puking (several times) after the run. Sorry if this is gross. She said it was so hot and humid she drank too much during the run.
That sort of ended her nite of the post run party.
I love being a Disney Geek, too !
Wow I sure did ramble.
I am enjoying your TR - waiting for more - does not matter if the things are out of order.

Royal Wedding as in Disney Wedding or Royal Wedding as in a big, beautiful wedding? I'm guessing the later as she lives in DC?

Wow, you did get lucky scoring CL. I tried and tried and had 2 nghts open up but it would have meant changing the trip to begin with AKV for two nights (this was before we added the AoA night), then AKV CL for two nights, then AKV for a night, then 5 nights at the THV. I knew we wanted to end with AKV so I just couldn't make it happen. One day. The CL offerings sounds great too- glad there was something for everyone.

I'm sorry she puked. I would imagine it's fairly common with the humidity.

How was the GF? I'm excited they're adding DVC but rumor has it the prices through Disney will be outrageous. It's such a gorgeous resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom View Post
Just discovered your report. Great pics. AoA looks so nice - great theming. Can't wait to hear about your AKL visit. We have owned there since 2008, but haven't stayed there yet (trying out all the DVC resorts.) We are booked for our first stay there in August.

Thanks for joining in. You are going to love AKV. Are you in Jambo or Kidani? We've stayed both now. Where have you stayed since buying? I'd love to try them all one day too. Just not sure how I'll ever get my crew to not want some AKV time; they love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I love the Ursala!!!
Me too. Isn't she fabulous? All of the icons were like that; shiny and BIG! It was a hoot.

Quote:
Boy I wish gas was that cheap!!

Likewise. Not sure where you're at but I have some friends in So Cal who said it was close to the $5 mark a few weeks ago.

Quote:
That looks like a FUN resort. The theming is great. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome! Fun for a night, glad we did it, wouldn't do it again though I don't think. The pool water was freezing so the kids didn't get to enjoy the underwater sounds effects which was one of the reasons I wanted a night there. Plus we've still got so many resorts to try.

Are you packed and ready for your trip in 4 days?
Not too shabby for a consolation prize: a Disneyland pre-trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3200081

Last edited by rentayenta; 10-28-2012 at 03:44 PM.
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #272
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

We actually hit $4.49, but the closer you get to San Francisco the higher the price got. In Marin county they were paying nearly $5 a gallon and that is around 40 miles from us. We are close enough to the bay area that we pay a higher price. If we go 20 miles to the east they are paying at least 10 cents a gallon less.

I think the choice of the Hyatt is a good one. When I was there a year ago what I saw was really nice. BART is right there. There are a lot of places to eat right around it because it is in the heart of the financial district. My favorite is the Boudin Bakery, I had a chicken pot pie type meal in a bread bowl and it was so good!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #273
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39
We actually hit $4.49, but the closer you get to San Francisco the higher the price got. In Marin county they were paying nearly $5 a gallon and that is around 40 miles from us. We are close enough to the bay area that we pay a higher price. If we go 20 miles to the east they are paying at least 10 cents a gallon less.

I think the choice of the Hyatt is a good one. When I was there a year ago what I saw was really nice. BART is right there. There are a lot of places to eat right around it because it is in the heart of the financial district. My favorite is the Boudin Bakery, I had a chicken pot pie type meal in a bread bowl and it was so good!
Yeah my BIL lives in Marin and he said it was up to almost $5. It's insanity for sure! I think we're at $3.79 still for mid grade unleaded. Still painful but we also live in the boonies. Location location location.

I love Boudin Bakery. I'm going to book the Hyatt today and both have a 24* cancelation fee without penalty.

I like BART being so close too. I want my FIL as comfortable as possible.

Happy Sunday! Doing anything fun? How's the new door?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #274
Goofyluver
Knock Knock
edited to make myself look better!rrrrrrrooooooowwwwwwwrrrrr
...pssst pssst...
toilet paper is dangerous

Your kids always look so happy to pose in photos. Can they teach ours?
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.
Goofyluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #275
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyluver
Your kids always look so happy to pose in photos. Can they teach ours?
Bwah ha ha! Girl, I threaten to keep taking them until they smile They know the sooner they smile, the sooner we can move on. Gabby loves it, Kayla was a guest so of course she's going to smile, Chloe and Joshua though are tough nuts to crack. I love a challenge!

Last edited by rentayenta; 10-28-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #276
rentayenta

Before going to bed we decided we'd start the trip hard and rope drop MK. MK's hours were 8 am - 7 pm due to it being a MNSSHP party night. Jenna and her gang were set to arrive around 2 pm. We had a 50's PrimeTime ADR planned for 5:25 for the 11 of us. Love reuniting with our friends in WDW. They've been with us during both of our other trips. I just can't imagine WDW without them. Our plan was to stay in MK until about 2, go to the THV and hope for some more magic and a ready villa, get our luggage and groceries from bell services and then head to DHS in time to make our 5:25 ADR. Big aspirations and there'd be no midday break.

After a good night's sleep, bags hardly unpacked, and a wake up call from Mickey at 6:13 am (they say to make it at an odd time to ensure it's Mickey that calls), the crew was moving by 6:30. We needed to be at the AoA bus by 7:15 to make it to MK's opening. As planned, we were out of there. I had some granola bars with me so we decided that when we got hungry we'd have breakfast in MK; surely there'd be a decent CS........

We called bell services to come get our 7 bags and away we went. The kids explained to K how *we* did things. Basically it went something like: mom is a freak and we'll get to do everything and she knows her Disney.

Now it had been over three years since our last trip and even though I'd been planning for over a year and started 4,657 threads on everything from groceries to the THV to AKV Kidani vs Jambo to ADRs to MNSHHP to F&W to the new FP enforcement, I still felt unprepared. How, I don't know but I felt a wave of panic come over me as we made our way to AoA's bus stop and while we waited for the MK bus.

Before the bus arrived, I received a text from Garden Grocer saying that our groceries had been delivered to SSR. My delivery luck was holding out. Betsy had done her part with the basket and now GG was on top of their game. I also ordered groceries from Kelly's PDS. Kelly will shop brand and size specific. Last trip I didn't love GG's fruit so I decided to get breads, Chloe's cake, meat, cheeses, and fruit from Kelly. Beer, Mike's, and the rest came from GG.

Waiting for the bus at AoA:

Diggin' this sign:

Off the bus and on our way to MK:

I think I take this photo every time:

And our first glimpe of Cinderella's Castle. I have no idea why this photo looks so weird. I think DH was messing around with the settings. Again.

Walking down Main St and Michael taking photos while walking backwards

At this point and it happens every time, until I get past Main St even after seeing the castle, I forget I'm not in Disneyland. Until this and then it sinks in. No Dole stand and Tiki Room right there means I am not at Disneyland:

So cute. Love the little touches:

As you can see it was fairly empty. Looks like the folks from Main St went to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland:

Last edited by rentayenta; 10-28-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #277
rentayenta

And with a zero minute wait, we broke all that is holy and rode something before obtaining a FP.

On POTC in our own boat:

We were on a mission to ride Chloe's favorite ride next:

Glad it wasn't my laundry:

Sorry it's a little blurry but I cannot resist. The chickens are from America Sings which used to be at Disneyland where CoP was and Innoventions sits now. I loved America Sings It's all about nostalgia for me:

And I'm the tacky broad who takes pics of pics:

Next up BTMRR. It was a walk on as was Splash and POTC so we did it twice.

At this point we were starving. Everyone wanted Mickey waffles and pancakes. An easy task you'd think but no, it wasn't. Other than Crystal Palace, there isn't anywhere to get Mickey waffles, pancakes, and bacon. We're so used to the Riverbelle at Disneyland. We got out the map and I immediately empathized with all of those families who I walk past with their noses stuck in map and their stroller in the middle of the walkway. I was a newbie again!

We ended up at Sleepy Hollow. We ordered:

Ham, Prosciutto and Swiss $6.99 x 2 and one Nutella and Fresh Fruit Waffle Sandwich $6.39. We also got various juices and coffees. Joshua got a funnel cake. A pic of Chloe's:

I have to be honest, I didn't love the whole waffle sandwich thing. We all ate enough but some did end up in the garbage. It didn't hit the spot but it did fill the void

Need to run Gab and her friend to Walmart for some biology class supplies; I'll be back.

Last edited by rentayenta; 10-28-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #278
kaoden39
Hugs

Oh yum Muskrat Moonshine! Sounds lovely!
Old 10-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #279
rentayenta

Quote:
Oh yum Muskrat Moonshine! Sounds lovely!

That's what we used to wash the waffle sandwiches down.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #280
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Loved the update! First day at the MK is where there are still Happy Feet....so lots of happy people!

And you went on a ride without getting a FP FIRST?

Still....POTC, BTMRR and Splash all before breakfast is a very good effort.

(And no, I'm not packed yet. That's for tonight).

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #281
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
That's what we used to wash the waffle sandwiches down.

Oh yummy!
Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #282
rentayenta

Quote:
Oh yummy!

I just love Splash and WDW's rocks! I always take a ton of pictures on that ride.

Quote:
Loved the update! First day at the MK is where there are still Happy Feet....so lots of happy people!

And you went on a ride without getting a FP FIRST?

Still....POTC, BTMRR and Splash all before breakfast is a very good effort.

(And no, I'm not packed yet. That's for tonight).

I know, no FP, I need two stamps on my newbie card. One for not getting a FP and the other for pulling out the map.

We were famished for sure. We'd done Splash twice and BTMRR twice and POTC all before food.

Get packing! I used to be a pre pre packer and I've turned into a night before packer. What day do you fly out? What's the time difference?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #283
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:

Get packing! I used to be a pre pre packer and I've turned into a night before packer. What day do you fly out? What's the time difference?
It's currently just after noon on Monday here. I fly out on Thursday and cross the international dateline. I'll arrive in LAX earlier on Thursday (your Thursday) than I left Melbourne on Thursday (my Thursday).

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #284
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz

It's currently just after noon on Monday here. I fly out on Thursday and cross the international dateline. I'll arrive in LAX earlier on Thursday (your Thursday) than I left Melbourne on Thursday (my Thursday).
You'll gain a day basically then! Is it difficult to acclimate? I've never traveled like that. Michael has to Africa and such and it takes him a week to get over the jet lag. I think I read a 14 hour difference in your trip report? How long is the flight?

And then you'll lose a day on the way home?

Last edited by rentayenta; 10-29-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #285
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I've been by that Marriott many times, it's a good location. We always stay Kimpton in SF and they've got some good rates out right now. Not sure how it compares but I love their hotels! Argonaut is our fav (close to that Marriott but closer to Cannery Row than FW) but currently we are booked at the Serrano for our Dec trip.

Quote:
And with a zero minute wait, we broke all that is holy and rode something before obtaining a FP.

Quote:

I have to be honest, I didn't love the whole waffle sandwich thing. We all ate enough but some did end up in the garbage. It didn't hit the spot but it did fill the void
Ok I feel much better after reading this. I REALLY wanted to try the Ham, Prosciutto and Swiss one and was bummed I couldn't get it during the party (they stop them at 5).

Still, it's a cool idea.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: