Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #256
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

I've been lurking for a while, but I have to jump in and tell you how much I'm enjoying your report! Your family looks like a great bunch! Love your "Officer and a Gentleman" pic so glad you shared it.

Did you order your basket from Disney? I'd love to know the details of the basket because I'm considering getting on for my DS on our next trip to WDW or for the following week on the Fantasy.

Looking forward to more posts!
MomToPrincePhillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #257
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Are they seeing the game at the Oracle Arena in Oakland? That would be travel by BART??

I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero. Nice, clean and reasonable access to the Embarcardero Bart station. It's also near the California Street trolley, which is less busy that the Market/Powell Street trolley heading to FW.

Not sure about price...and whether it is in your ballpark or not (pun intended).

Michael stayed at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero years ago and said it was nice. I checked using my FIL's senior's rate and it's about $20 more per night. Do you think that would be a better option?

Quote:
And I just checked the Transit.511.org website. From the Embarcadero station to the Oracle Arena, you would catch the BART Daly City / Dublin Pleasanton. No need to change transport or anything.

Of course, I've assumed that your boys are taking public transport to get around; rather than driving.

ETA...I just realised that there is quite a walk from the BART station to the Oracle Arena. Maybe not.

EETA...Actually, seems like all public transport takes the same route on the BART and the 23 minute walk from station to arena.

The game is at the Oakland Colossuem not the Oracle Arena. I have no idea what either are though. They'll take BART for sure though my BIL was thinking about renting a car for game day to be able to use FILs handicap pass to get him as close as possible. He's mobile with a cane, cute old buggar, but the fact remains, he tires easily and we want him as comfortable as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
That's what I'm talkin' about!!!!! I love my DVC!!!! I know I'm spoiled, but why did I spend over $75K on points (and I'm not even in the 1000 point club!) to spend $300 a night for no tub! But we have to do it too. Fran wants to try out AoA. She wants to stay in the Cars Land section. I will not let on that I know there are no tubs in the room. The place we stay on the way to Vegas has no tubs as well and I deal knowing that at least once I get to my destination there will be a tub. I'll give her two nights at AoA, just so that we can be extra uncomforatble in those small beds and have the lower thread count on the sheets, so that she does realize as much as they try to upgrade the values, they are VALUES!!!! and she really likes the amenites of the Deluxes!

Less than a week and we'll be havin fun! We'll have to leave Fran behind as she is in a lot of pain but the two of us can have fun!!!!

If Fran last two nights at AoA I'll be shocked. It's cute and the theme is magic but the fact remains that it's a Value and it lacks the amenities we've come to enjoy so much. Having said that, it's totally worth it because it is so charming. If I had little little kids and DVC wasn't an option, it'd be perfect. I'm very glad though we stayed he night. I really had been looking forward to experiencing it. The pools don't close those so be warned, it is loud and I was grateful for our non pool view for sure.

Quote:
I'm sorry that Fran is in a lot of pain.
I'm sorry too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Sorry to hijack your TR Jenny, but yeah, Fran is in big pain, pretty much told me that you and I will get dinner on our own and it will be a big fight if I try to bring home take out so she wants us to go away;

Yikes! We'll figure things out as we go, but I suspect dinner on thursday will be OUT regardless!!!!!

No need to apologize, hijack away. I hope Fran gets to feeling better. I know you girls are going to have a fabulous time! Photos photos photos!!! I can't think of someplace for you gals to go to dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
I love, love, love that your kids are this close. My brother and I are close and that is one of the things I wish Lexi had but it is not ment to be right now.

It does look unreal but I am sure Lexi would want to stay in the Lion King or Cars section. I forgot to add when I first commented that the beds are double and they are the same at Pop too and that is why I slept with Lexi when we went because Jon said I kept kicking him and he couldn't sleep.

We do have fun too for the part and my Jon can be moody too. I can be stubborn but we work at it. Communication is key!!! Most of our friends who have/are separated/ing have all said (at some point) that they just got busy and stopped talking and making time for each other. It really is sad.

I was an only child and that had it perks too. I think we make the best out of what we're handed.

The whole resort is darling but Cars has the best exterior by far. Again though you've got to hike to Animation Hall to refill your mugs if you use those. The pool at the Cars area is super cool. I'll post pics. Seriously put some thought into every little detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPrincePhillip View Post
I've been lurking for a while, but I have to jump in and tell you how much I'm enjoying your report! Your family looks like a great bunch! Love your "Officer and a Gentleman" pic so glad you shared it.

Did you order your basket from Disney? I'd love to know the details of the basket because I'm considering getting on for my DS on our next trip to WDW or for the following week on the Fantasy.

Looking forward to more posts!
I ordered my basket from www.memoriesbybetsy.com She was great. I was able to have some Disney store stuff shipped to her to add to the things she could only get in the park. She wrapped it up cute and had it delivered as promised. She's very easy to work with and emails back quickly, shows you everything first. She a good one. DS's Mike Wazowski shirt iron on that he was going to wear for MNSSHP didn't turn out great. 3 days before we left, I emailed Betsy and that night we had options for me. She charges a little more but her customer service is quality.

Thanks for posting and joining in, the more the merrier!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Last edited by rentayenta; 10-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #258
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Michael stayed at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero years ago and said it was nice. I checked using my FIL's senior's rate and it's about $20 more per night. Do you think that would be a better option?

The game is at the Oakland Colossuem not the Oracle Arena. I have no idea what either are though. They'll take BART for sure though my BIL was thinking about renting a car for game day to be able to use FILs handicap pass to get him as close as possible. He's mobile with a cane, cute old buggar, but the fact remains, he tires easily and we want him as comfortable as possible.

okay. I think the O Co is next to the Arena and serviced by the same BART station, only the walk is probably shorter.

If they are renting a car for game day, then it probably doesn't matter where they stay. If they are taking the BART, then it may be better to find a hotel closer to a BART station and the Hyatt Regency is probably a little bit better in that they would not need to change from the BART to another form of transport to head back to Fisherman's Wharf. Not that there is anything wrong with the transport change; but with FiL along, it may be better.

The FW area will have more options for food and entertainment than the Hyatt Regency. So, it will come down to how long the boys are in town for and what they want to do.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #259
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I have friends that always take BART so that they don't have to deal with parking. It drops you off real close. The walk is less than the walk from the parking garage at Disneyland. Personally that is the only way I would go if I was going to watch a game.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #260
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz

okay. I think the O Co is next to the Arena and serviced by the same BART station, only the walk is probably shorter.

If they are renting a car for game day, then it probably doesn't matter where they stay. If they are taking the BART, then it may be better to find a hotel closer to a BART station and the Hyatt Regency is probably a little bit better in that they would not need to change from the BART to another form of transport to head back to Fisherman's Wharf. Not that there is anything wrong with the transport change; but with FiL along, it may be better.

The FW area will have more options for food and entertainment than the Hyatt Regency. So, it will come down to how long the boys are in town for and what they want to do.
They arrive Friday around 1 pm and leave Monday about noon and the only thing they've got planned is the Raider game so I'm thinking the FW area may be better in terms of daily activities. My BIL is under the impression that by renting a car and having my FIL's handicap sticker, he'll be able to basically drop him off at the doors. Sometimes, he doesn't know the whole story I think they'll use BART to the stadium.

Thank you so so much for your insights. I really appreciate it.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #261
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39
I have friends that always take BART so that they don't have to deal with parking. It drops you off real close. The walk is less than the walk from the parking garage at Disneyland. Personally that is the only way I would go if I was going to watch a game.
Thats what I figured, thank you! I think it'll be madness and expensive if they try to drive in.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #262
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Thats what I figured, thank you! I think it'll be madness and expensive if they try to drive in.

Oh without a doubt. I went to a seminar last year at the Hyatt Regency at the Embarcadero and the BART station is right there. It is near the tourist hub and the financial district. We were to ride BART in and out, no wear, no tear. There is a Boudin Bakery right there and so many other places.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #263
PrincessInOz
in

Nothing wrong with the Marriott - and the location is good. So, if that's what your preference is, go with it.

FYI.

From the Hyatt Regency, they could hop on the F-line street car to get to Fisherman's Wharf. It will drop them close to Pier 39.
The hotel is also really close i.e., walking distance to the Ferry Building and there are one or two restaurants there. I liked Slanted Door; which serves Pan-Asian food. There are other cafes and restaurants at the Ferry Building and there could be a farmer's market out on Saturday.

And I know there is a Noah's Bakery around the corner from the hotel as a cheaper alternative for breakfast. It opens early.

There is a food court/strip on the other side of the hotel, near the Embarcadero shopping complex but it opens a bit later; maybe around 9. If they are later risers, then this will not be a problem.

I walked into Union Square from this hotel most days. It was about a 10 - 15 minute walk. But if they wanted to, they could catch a MUNI bus down Market street or the F-line or hop on the BART for a couple of stations down.

Good luck with the planning. Sounds like the boys will have a great time.

ETA - When we stayed at the Hyatt Regency, we flew in via SFO. We caught the BART (with our luggage) and got off at the Embarcadero, then walked to the hotel. It was relatively straightforward and saved us the taxi fare.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #264
dvc at last !
DVC Member 2006!

Our trip to WDW AK was our first time staying there also. We do not
own there. When we all decided to go this past trip it was just a few months before trip (we were very busy for the past 12 plus months - planning for daughter's July 2012 Royal Wedding as we call it !)and she lives in DC so it was a lot of trips, calls and emails so.........................we could not get BCV (Host resort therefore bus service to the run) or BWV we were on waitlists till the bitter end.
We stayed at Kidani and could hardly believe we snatched Jambo CL for 3 nites (must have called at the right time because there is never a opening) then to OKW. I love the theming at OKW and the rooms are very spacious. We did stay at CL one other time at GF -Sugar Loaf Lodge a few years ago. It was very great !
It was also a CM discount !
Having the CL was amazing. Here is a list of offerings :
6-7 am coffee
7-10:30 breakfast
11:30-3 refreshments
3-4:30 afternoon tea
5-7 wine and cheese selections
8-10 cordials and desserts
There was always a delicious selection of food.
Daughter is vegetarian and son is vegan so they had many things for for to enjoy and they made sure that there was always soy and rice milk for them.
(The parents are not picky and eat everything and anything !)
Loved the Officer and a Gentleman pic - very cute !
The AoA looks very colorful - love the fishy theme - maybe cause I am a Pisces, too !
Loved the Food Court at ASM - too many years ago.
TOT Run they loved it and have done others at Disney including the Marathon and the F&W. It was the first time our daughter did end up puking (several times) after the run. Sorry if this is gross. She said it was so hot and humid she drank too much during the run.
That sort of ended her nite of the post run party.
I love being a Disney Geek, too !
Wow I sure did ramble.
I am enjoying your TR - waiting for more - does not matter if the things are out of order.
'12-AKL~ '12-OKW~'13-OKW~'13-BCV~'14-OKW~
dvc at last ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #265
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Just discovered your report. Great pics. AoA looks so nice - great theming. Can't wait to hear about your AKL visit. We have owned there since 2008, but haven't stayed there yet (trying out all the DVC resorts.) We are booked for our first stay there in August.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #266
rentayenta

Just a quick AoA photo wrap up and then I'll be back to respond. I know I keep saying it but I keep meaning it: thank you for reading and posting. It's a nice way to combat the post Disney blues.

I won't give a detail of every pic as I'd like you all to stay awake but feel free to ask if you've got any questions.

Notice the time in the picture:

We decided to stay at AoA, walk the resort, take pics, have a very quick and chilly dip in the pool, and grab a Red Stagg Lemonade. The bartender made his version which was more than Stagg and lemonade. I believe he added a little cranberry and sour and I can't remember what else. He also let me try the traditional one and his version was loads better.

Enjoy the pics

Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #267
rentayenta

And then some of the Nemo section:

It was a fun but really long first day as you can tell from the bags under my eyes. After our swim and drinks we headed back to the room. It was unanimous that we skip MK even though we'd end up with an extra day on our hoppers. I'm a firm believer in not beginning the trip exhausted. Lights were out by 10:30 and we had a pretty peaceful sleep even in that double bed. Jenna and her family were set to arrive today but had to leave late and wouldn't arrive until Sunday. It ended up working out okay because had they been there, I know we would have gone to MK.

AoA is a fun resort and I'm thankful we got the chance to check it out.

Next up: the THV!!!!

Last edited by rentayenta; 10-27-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #268
kaoden39
Hugs

I love the Ursala!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #269
kaoden39
Hugs

Boy I wish gas was that cheap!!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #270
PrincessInOz
in

That looks like a FUN resort. The theming is great. Thanks for sharing.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: