Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Zhoen
Princess in Shining Armor

Price Match=what's the point???

I just got an email from Toys R Us, touting their "fabulous" new price match policy...

... oh, but it doesn't work on doorbusters or black friday
... they will only adjust AFTER their own sales are accounted for (ie-walmart has it for $50, TRU has it for $55 and you have a $5/$50 coupon= they won't give you the $50 price and then the coupon..

I have never understood this. Why would I choose to go to store "B" to get a price match if I could just buy the thing at Store "A" in the first place? TRU never has good enough offers that I'm "in there anyway," so it's not like I'd be saving a trip by being there.

If I go to AAFES, I at least save the 6% tax by having them price-match. Sears I can at least get the SYWR points on my purchase, plus last year they were great about price-matching a Barbie my kid wanted and then letting me use a $-off-total-purchase coupon... Walmart will price-match AND it's a store I might be in for other stuff at the same time, thereby saving time and gas...

What does TRU hope to gain by this?
Zhoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

It helps if they have other items you want that are on sale there and you want to do your shopping in one place rather than drive around. I've price matched at Walmart in Black Friday instead of making multiple stops.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
It helps if they have other items you want that are on sale there and you want to do your shopping in one place rather than drive around. I've price matched at Walmart in Black Friday instead of making multiple stops.
She's not asking the point of price matching in general, she's saying TRU has so many exclusions it's worthless.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

yeah, I hate toys r us. There prices are almost always higher, and the coupons they send you are mostly worthless because of all the exclusions. My favorite laughable sales are the legos.... buy one get one 40% off or whatever, considering they are about 40% higher than target on most legos, it is still way more expensive! Hate TRU!!!!
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
She's not asking the point of price matching in general, she's saying TRU has so many exclusions it's worthless.
Aren't those pretty standard exclusions for price matching?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Aren't those pretty standard exclusions for price matching?
The Black Friday door busters wasn't always standard. A few years ago, I price matched Target items on BF at Walmart. It was just so handy to be shopping for things not in the line of the stampede. It might be standard now, though.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
jgreco
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoen View Post

I have never understood this. Why would I choose to go to store "B" to get a price match if I could just buy the thing at Store "A" in the first place?
Because MOST people aren't savvy shoppers like us. Most people will just pay full price out of convenience or ignorance, meanwhile they also are capturing the savvy shoppers in them knowing they'll get the best price.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

It's advertising, and I'm sure there are probably some instances when it makes sense to price match at TRU. If you're buying several things for instance? Basically, you can pick a store and price match the items that are more expensive there.

I don't love TRU either, but obviously some people do shop there, or they would have gone out of business a long time ago.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain
It's advertising, and I'm sure there are probably some instances when it makes sense to price match at TRU. If you're buying several things for instance? Basically, you can pick a store and price match the items that are more expensive there.

I don't love TRU either, but obviously some people do shop there, or they would have gone out of business a long time ago.
That was my point. If you go to one store that has most of what you want in stock and on sale, price match whatever else you can to save a trip.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I personally have shopped trus once in 10+ yrs I've lived down here, ones in MI closed years ago. I'm queen of price matching target prices at walmart for multiple reasons.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
merbobear
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure what their policy is for online price matches, but I know the store I work in matches to anyone except for online auction sites (ebay). In that case, the point is that you A) don't pay shipping and/or B) get to own the item today vs in a couple business days.

Also, as others mentioned, getting the entire shopping list done in one store.
Even though you (op) might not be "in the store anyway," a lot of people are...the price matching caters to the majority of their customers, not one person who doesn't like shopping there

Another reason is that the store with the sale might be sold out.

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

What bothers me is when a store won't price match their own website price.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
merina888
Mouseketeer

I loved when Buy Buy Baby opened in my area. Previously we only had Babies R Us which is frequently out of what I want and the store always looks like a bargain sale went on. Buy Buy Baby takes BRU/TRU coupons for their items and frequently will price match BRU but not advertise it. For example, when BRU runs their trade-in sale where they give you 25% off a new baby gear item when you bring in an old one. BRU didn't carry the double stroller model I wanted. So I hopped over to BBB and asked if they honored the same sale and they did. So I brought in a broken pack-n-play and got 25% off the stroller model I wanted that BRU didn't carry. I also use BRU's coupons at BBB and they don't pay too much attention to the exclusions written on the coupon like BRU does.
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
ICF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Me Too!!

My story on that....

WalMart had an IPod touch on their site for $200. Went to the store, wrongly thinking that that would be price in the store too. It wasn't, it was $225 (or so).

I asked about the price difference and if I could get it for $200. I was told, "Nope, we don't price match our website."

To make it worse....I went home, ordered it on their website -- with free in-store pick up, and still got it for $200. But this way, I had to use multiple associates time at the p/u station vs just having the guy in electronics help me with it the night before?!?!?!?! And of course also wasted my time and gas to go back there to pick it up.....seemed like such a dumb process to me.
ICF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

Quote:
That bugs me too! TRU told me they will do that this year when I asked how the price matching works, then again the employee said they were not matching other stores so I have no idea if he was right.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: