Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
jamala
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 5 ---kids 16,14,6 and we have stayed at bc, yc, and gf and bc is our favorite. The daybeds at GF seemed bigger than the ones at bc and yc but my kids all loved them. Wilderness lodge also has some deluxe rooms that fit 5.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
nkereina
Wendy Darling

It's not really a "bench" at POR. Have you seen it? It's a murphy bed which is just a bed that folds up... regular mattress and bedding. It's definitely not big enough for an adult but the younger kids would be fine on it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #18
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

The AoA suites are much larger than the POR rooms. I looked at POR and there was no way I was going to crowd five of us into that little room and only have a single bathroom. The AoA is really nice. My husband and I loved that we had a room to ourselves, while our 7, 8, and 11 year olds had their own space and bathroom.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #19
metta4
Mouseketeer

Hopping on to this if you don't find..this is my first time looking into WDW for a family of 5 and I too am a little disappointed with my choices...

Are Swan or Dolphin an option?

April 2005 - AKL/WDW
June 2005- POR/WDW
July 2011 - DLR
Old 10-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #20
CalicoSky
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
It's not really a "bench" at POR. Have you seen it? It's a murphy bed which is just a bed that folds up... regular mattress and bedding. It's definitely not big enough for an adult but the younger kids would be fine on it.
It's also totally cute. If I was young enough I would totally battle a sibling to get to use that bed.

Oh who am I kidding, I wouldn't need to be younger...when I went in February I would've opted for that bed if I was just a couple of feet shorter!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
mjp12831
DIS Veteran

We just did POR with an 8, 10,11

The refurb end rooms are fine for 5. A bit bigger and the pull down bed is really nice. We will be back next year

WDW Commando member #60
Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #22
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvestodizz View Post
We have 3 kids - 7 8 and 12. AKL and WL don't have regular rooms for our size. I don't really want a value resort and deluxes are too $$.That leaves POR with one kid sleeping on a bench. Doesn't sound too magical when I type it out LOL. I wish the other deluxes allowed 5 without having to upgrade to a deluxe room. I also don't see why WL can allow a 5th in a crib but not a roll away bed. Don't nention fire codes and occupancy because a child under 2 is still a person during an emergency. Don't mean to be a downer but I really want to be onsite but $ wise feel spsqueed out. BTW I have spent one night at POP and the value pools just don't appeal to me.
Unlike other resort areas, there are a ton of great, affordable off-site options for a family of 5 around Disney world. Everything from timeshare resorts to rental homes. You may discover that staying in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom 1200 square foot villa for less than the price of a tiny Disney value room is "magical"
Old 10-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
I know the bench doesn't sound too magical to you, but to a seven year old to get their own special bed you might be pleasantly surprised. I would go with PoR hands down. I am also a family of five so I feel your pain.
We stayed in March and my 10 and 4 year old fought over who got to sllep in the Princess and the frog bed. It was very cute, and quite comfortable from just sitting on it myself. The 10 year old was a little big, so the 4 YO won, but if he wanted to he could have slept on it. So yours would be fine. We had a room at AOA booked for April, and switched it back to POR because even with the extra room, 2 of our kids would have to share a double pull out, but at POR we would actually have 2 queens and the murphy bed for the 5 YO.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Yes, the new ones are much better than the trundles that were on the ground. My kids never complained about it at all.

We have also stayed in two rooms at a value (music) and that was nice because of the extra space, but I like Riverside much better because of the food court, resort theme, river boat and Piano Bob!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #25
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POR when our kids were the ages of yours, but we got connecting rooms. It was great to have the extra bathroom, and we really did love the resort. I liked being on the mansion side of the resort.
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
2014 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
1pixiemom
Long Time DIS Board user

We are a family of 5 and when my kids were that age we all stayed in value resorts just put all 5 of us in one room..... really you are hardly in the rooms to start with!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #27
cwt580
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pixiemom View Post
We are a family of 5 and when my kids were that age we all stayed in value resorts just put all 5 of us in one room..... really you are hardly in the rooms to start with!!!

Dont think as i would try that these days. Its listed as a 4 person occupancy room. You are essentially breaking disney booking rules. If someone complains that you have more in the room than allowed and how did they get away with that, you may be asked to leave w no refund. If CM figures it out you will be asked to leave. their job is at stake.

also i think by suggesting this its breaking a rule here on boards as "of ways of breaking the rules at disney".. i dont care but i like to save someone the embarrassment while at disney with their kids.

also only 4 keys issued and only 4 people can partake in tix and DDP...

Old 10-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by metta4 View Post
Hopping on to this if you don't find..this is my first time looking into WDW for a family of 5 and I too am a little disappointed with my choices...

Are Swan or Dolphin an option?
I love the Swan and Dolphin, and usually stay at the Swan. For 5 people, you could stay at the Dolphin in a standard room with 2 beds and a rollaway.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #29
1pixiemom
Long Time DIS Board user

seriously come on no one complains and really who cares they were kids.... and we did this only 3 years ago..... the house keepers dont care... FYI they are not going to kick you out of Disney bcz you have an extra person in your room........ Also I didnt tell them to do it, I SAID WE DID IT !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt580 View Post
Dont think as i would try that these days. Its listed as a 4 person occupancy room. You are essentially breaking disney booking rules. If someone complains that you have more in the room than allowed and how did they get away with that, you may be asked to leave w no refund. If CM figures it out you will be asked to leave. their job is at stake.

also i think by suggesting this its breaking a rule here on boards as "of ways of breaking the rules at disney".. i dont care but i like to save someone the embarrassment while at disney with their kids.

also only 4 keys issued and only 4 people can partake in tix and DDP...
Old 10-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #30
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pixiemom View Post
seriously come on no one complains and really who cares they were kids.... and we did this only 3 years ago..... the house keepers dont care... FYI they are not going to kick you out of Disney bcz you have an extra person in your room........ Also I didnt tell them to do it, I SAID WE DID IT !!!
If they catch you, they will kick you out. If not, Disney would be in serious trouble with the Fire Marshall. And they have the authority to shut down any business who has enough safety violations. And being over occupancy in a room is a safety violation.

If enough people had your attitude, a lot of people would care! Only one extra person in a room at a value resort such as the All Star Movies would mean another 1920 people at that resort. The facilities are not set up to handle that extra amount of people. Not the food court, not the pool area, not housekeeping, and for sure not the buses! We would all notice another extra couple of thousand guests!

Rules are rules. And one of the rules of the Dis is to not post about ways to go about breaking Disney's rules. I see you are new here, so you may be unaware of that rule. Most posts that advise breaking Disney rules go "poof.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: