Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
luvestodizz
Mouseketeer

Family of 5 - choices limited

We have 3 kids - 7 8 and 12. AKL and WL don't have regular rooms for our size. I don't really want a value resort and deluxes are too $$.That leaves POR with one kid sleeping on a bench. Doesn't sound too magical when I type it out LOL. I wish the other deluxes allowed 5 without having to upgrade to a deluxe room. I also don't see why WL can allow a 5th in a crib but not a roll away bed. Don't nention fire codes and occupancy because a child under 2 is still a person during an emergency. Don't mean to be a downer but I really want to be onsite but $ wise feel spsqueed out. BTW I have spent one night at POP and the value pools just don't appeal to me.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

There are a couple other options: the Ft. Wilderness cabins or the suites at All Star Music or Art of Animation. AoA's main pool is reportedly quite an upgrade, you might like it.

But, ultimately, there are three things you might want in a hotel room for a WDW vacation:

1: To be onsite
2: To have a reasonable amount of space
3: To spend a reasonable amount of money.

The problem is, most of the time, you can't have all three. You absolutely require #2, so you will have to decide between #1 and #3. Personally, I'd strongly consider staying offsite with a family of five---and I sometimes do with my family of four so that we can spread out more.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvestodizz View Post
...I also don't see why WL can allow a 5th in a crib but not a roll away bed. Don't nention fire codes and occupancy because a child under 2 is still a person during an emergency. Don't mean to be a downer but I really want to be onsite but $ wise feel spsqueed out. BTW I have spent one night at POP and the value pools just don't appeal to me.
If there was a fire, adults would be expected to carry a child under the age of three down the stairs. So no extra feet taking up exit egress space. It's the not space in the room, but the space needed to evacuate the building.

So why not try the CR wing rooms? They are a little less expensive and are pretty big. Or maybe a Fort Wilderness Cabin?

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
KimK2006
DIS Veteran

Yacht Club (and I assume Beach Club and Boardwalk Inn) have a day bed in the rooms and can accomodate 5.
June, 2014 - POFQ February, 2013 - ASMo (Cheer Nationals) November, 2011 - YC May, 2010 - POFQ November, 2008 - CBR May/June, 2008 - POFQ May/June, 2007 - CSR October, 2006 - POFQ July, 2006 - Disney Wonder October, 2005 - POFQ November, 2004 - CR May/June, 2004 - WL June, 2003 - AKL October, 2002 - WL October, 2001 - CBR May, 2000 - ASMo May, 1999 - ASMo April, 1998 - POR
Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 5 and loved AOA. Both the main pool and the cars pool were very nice.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
canadakath
Mouseketeer

We stayed in the garden wing of the Contemporary last year with a 5, 7 and 10 year old. My nephew (the 10yo) is large for his age, and was very comfortable on the day bed. The day bed is a normal, twin sized bed - no saggy pull out or mini sized cot. The room was great for the 5 of us.

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

How about renting DVC. You could get a one bedroom villa.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvestodizz View Post
I also don't see why WL can allow a 5th in a crib but not a roll away bed. Don't nention fire codes and occupancy because a child under 2 is still a person during an emergency.
It is a child under the age of three that is not considered part of the occupancy count.

They are not included in the count because it is assumed that one adult will carry the child and they will be taking up room in the exit corridor/stair as an older child would who work walk out on their own.

Sorry, but I am an architect and a construction manager and very passionate about safety in buildings.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
meredith1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAnnie View Post
How about renting DVC. You could get a one bedroom villa.
We just put our request in for the BLT suite with Dave's Vacation Rentals. Look into renting points. It's an awesome deal with the villas and you can still get park tickets and dining package if you want/need them.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
meredith1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath View Post
We stayed in the garden wing of the Contemporary last year with a 5, 7 and 10 year old. My nephew (the 10yo) is large for his age, and was very comfortable on the day bed. The day bed is a normal, twin sized bed - no saggy pull out or mini sized cot. The room was great for the 5 of us.
I agree with this the rooms are big and the day bed is great! I would have been very happy to sleep on it if I needed to.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
Old 10-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

I know the bench doesn't sound too magical to you, but to a seven year old to get their own special bed you might be pleasantly surprised. I would go with PoR hands down. I am also a family of five so I feel your pain.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
ke3d98
Mouseketeer

Try AoA if you want a value

Old 10-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Actually for children that age Riverside is perfect. We love it there. We don't spend to much time in the room anyway so it's fine for us.

Having said that though, now that our kids have gotten bigger and older we are going to stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek next time to give it a try. We can rent a 2br suite for $120 a night and have tons more space. It's also right there on Disney property next to CBR. Since we drive to the parks anyway this is no big deal for us.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Ok, I have to say it. You say your choices as a family of 5 are limited, but what you really are saying is that the 2 resorts you would like to stay at don't have standard rooms that fit 5. Seems you are pretty limited in where you want to stay, imho.

At WDW as a family of 6 we have done:

2 value rooms (multiple times)
An All Star Family Suite
2 moderate rooms (multiple times)
2 deluxe rooms (multiple times)
rented points for a 2 bedroom villa
As a legal 6 at POR (we had an infant) NOT RECOMMENDED
And Even

Off-Site

I think you need to focus less on where you can't stay, and more on the many ways you can stay on-site. Or maybe you can rent points and stay at the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge villas. If only one of those resorts will do.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Ok, I have to say it. You say your choices as a family of 5 are limited, but what you really are saying is that the 2 resorts you would like to stay at don't have standard rooms that fit 5. Seems you are pretty limited in where you want to stay, imho.
I agree with this. The 2 deluxes you mentioned are the only 2 that can't fit 5 in a standard room. The rest have room for 5

POR and FW Cabins are the mods that fit 5 unless you do 2 rooms.

I agree the mod choices are quite limited but we're much happier in 2 rooms than we are 1 room anyways so it's never bothered us

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: