Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #76
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
lol...next thing you know someone will start posting how many calories are in things
NO!!!!!!

I gained 10lbs in 10 days at WDW, I have no idea how I managed to do that, and I don't want to. I just go back to the gym and work out harder when I get home.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #77
Ancient Purple
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoMama View Post
NO!!!!!!

I gained 10lbs in 10 days at WDW, I have no idea how I managed to do that, and I don't want to. I just go back to the gym and work out harder when I get home.
My wonderful spouse and I made a deal before we got married: No calorie counting on vacations.

There will be a divorce if that changes.
Ancient Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #78
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

I agree--I don't get the love of the Dole Whip. I tried it (twice!) and it's this yucky, syrupy sweet mixture of pinapple juice (from a can) and really bad frozen yogurt. I mean, it isn't an episode of Fear Factor, but it isn't anything to dream about.

I just keep trying new things, and sometimes I hit a winner. This last trip I finally tried one of the mammoth turkey legs that taste strangely of ham. It is enormous and you don't want to know how many calories are in that thing, but I have to say it was freakishly good. I ate that with one of the chili-lime ears of corn (really good!) and now I do find myself daydreaming about eating them again one day soon. The turkey leg is slightly disgusting in theory and looks, but grab yourself a huge handful of napkins to wipe up all the grease and don't plan on eating it all--just it a bit of it. Unless of course you want to end up in the ER that is convienently located a stones throw from Disneyland.

The breadbowls with the clam chowder are always a hit as well, especially with extra hot sauce. Not so good on a hot day, but perfect for a cooler night at Disneyland.

The Blue Bayou is all ambiance and no deliciousness. It is something for all of us humans to do at least once, if not twice--just to get that waterside table and soak in the smell of Pirates.
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #79
sheetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBiskit View Post
Wow.....talk about killing the magic!
Hey, they're dairy free so they're good for vegetarians and those who are lactose intolerant!
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #80
DisneylandClub
Earning My Ears

Is It Just me That Absolutely LOVES Disneyland Food?!

DisneylandClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #81
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

I have to say that this is a very interesting thread, and I am jotting down notes as I read all the responses. We are WDW vets that will be heading to DLR for the first time in June. I have been reading all of the different menus for both CS and TS at DLR and I have found a lot of things that look appealing (now how they actually taste is another story) to all of us. We live in a suburb of Chicago therefore we love our food here, with that said we love the food at WDW when we go. I do have to agree that WDW is not really known for their CS restaurants compared to the multitudes of TS restaurants that they have. The only exceptions would be Flame Tree BBQ at AK, Earl of Sandwich at DTD, Pecos Bills and Columbia Harbor House at MK, and some of the countries around WS at Epcot. So OP, thank you so much for starting this thread because the suggestions that the posters give is really helping me .
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #82
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

I guess I am less picky than most. I love blue bayou, Ariel's for lunch or dinner, Bengal BBQ is delicious and plenty of food for me (usually get a chicken and a veggie skewer), all the character meals have plenty of food I like... I avoid pizza and burgers because I can get those at home and they are always better at home. Rainforest cafe is a must go to for us, as we don't have one around here and dd loves it. We get their lettuce wraps.... Yum! Anyhow, it's hard to please everyone- the sheer variety of people means they can't go too crazy with food. But I'll say we never go hungry there!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #83
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2PrincessAbby
Rainforest cafe is a must go to for us, as we don't have one around here and dd loves it. We get their lettuce wraps.... Yum!
Got some really bad news for you. I was at the Rainforest in Anaheim on Friday and they, much to the dismay of my wife, no longer have lettuce wraps. Just a FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #84
FlyingBelle
Official Tag Fairy Underwear Designer
"MacGyver's" her bras with duct tape and toilet paper
Frutty Pebbles doesn't taste the same with ranch dressing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1
I have to say that this is a very interesting thread, and I am jotting down notes as I read all the responses. We are WDW vets that will be heading to DLR for the first time in June. I have been reading all of the different menus for both CS and TS at DLR and I have found a lot of things that look appealing (now how they actually taste is another story) to all of us. We live in a suburb of Chicago therefore we love our food here, with that said we love the food at WDW when we go. I do have to agree that WDW is not really known for their CS restaurants compared to the multitudes of TS restaurants that they have. The only exceptions would be Flame Tree BBQ at AK, Earl of Sandwich at DTD, Pecos Bills and Columbia Harbor House at MK, and some of the countries around WS at Epcot. So OP, thank you so much for starting this thread because the suggestions that the posters give is really helping me .
I completely agree with your cs choices at wow (except chh, only ate there once though and it was on keys to the kingdom tour and food was cold when we got there). I'm in the nw suburbs of Chicago - so I hear ya!

Our first trip to dl was a little underwhelming after so many years at wow, but we've grown to love it!
Many times as a child | Fort Wilderness Campground 1996 | Off-Property Mar 1999 | CS May 1999 | ASSp Aug 1999 | Dixie Landings Jan 2000 | Dixie Landings Feb 2001| WL Feb 2002 | Disney Wonder Cruise Jan 2003 | WL Sep 2004 | Swan Feb 2005 |WL Oct 2005 | POR - Aug 2006 | WLV - Jan/Feb 2007 | WL Family Trip - Sep 2008! Bella's first trip to Disney! | Buena Vista Suites - Dec 08 | Disneyland - Nov 2009 | Disneyland - June 2010 | POP - July 2010 Disneyland - October 2010 | ASMu & Disney Wonder December 2010 | ASMu Jan 2011| Disneyland Sept 2011 | ASMu Jan 2012 | No Kids Trip! Pirate room at CB - Mar 2012| Disneyland - April 2012| Disneyland - July 2012| Disneyland - August 2012 | ASSp - September 2012| Disney Dream 3 night cruise - Nov 2012 | Split-Stay: AKL - Feb 2014/ASMo - March 2014
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #85
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
Got some really bad news for you. I was at the Rainforest in Anaheim on Friday and they, much to the dismay of my wife, no longer have lettuce wraps. Just a FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
That is a major bummer! But my dd will disown me if she can't go there... I may have to get pizza... I remember it to be pretty good... they have lots of good food there. But we have found that lunch is better than dinner--they get so busy at dinner that they can be less than speedy service wise!!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #86
hlbtimes2
Stretch that spine out big and tall!
Oh, you arent paying? Dang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneylandClub View Post
Nope, you're not alone. Our family has things we love.
A few:
steak salad at the warf in DL
clam chowder in a bread bowl
pizza salad at red rockets pizza
raspberry cheesecake at jolly holiday
pretty much everything at rancho del zocalo (we love the atmosphere there).

wild bleu yonder burger at taste pilots.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #87
Tinker1972
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneylandClub View Post
I'm with you!! we LOVE the food at Disneyland! The only place we were not impressed with (even my kids didn't like it!) was the Hungry Bear. We've loved everything else. The chicken dinner at the Plaza Inn..YUMM! and we are HUGE fans of the Dole Whip and the jalapeno pretzels. Bengal BBQ...another YUM!!! My mouth is now watering. 3 more sleeps until we get there...I can't wait!
Tinker1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #88
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneylandClub
No, not at all! I love the food at Disneyland. The chicken dinner at Plaza is scrumptious. The corn dogs on Main Street are to die for. The Golden Horseshoe's chicken strips are fabulous. Pizza Port's chicken fusilli is so good and the pizza at Village Haus is delicious. Ranch Del Zocalo is fantastic. Don't get me started on the churros and the ice cream. I could go on and on.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #89
Mel522
DIS Veteran

Last year when we went, we all thought the food wasn't too impressive. When we were hungry, we pulled out the map and found the nearest quick service.

This year, I did research. I went the food reviews thread here, read reviews on yelp, and went through the menus. We still ate quick service, but thought the food was quite good this time. We even went to some of the same places as last year. This time, however, we knew what to avoid and what to try.

Last edited by Mel522; 10-08-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Mel522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #90
ballarinamom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmom View Post
You're spoiled by WDW. WDW has an amazing selection. The customers they serve are different (DL - day visitors, WDW - vacationers). I wish they would bring some of the WDW oferings to DL.
We found the counter service food better at DL that Magic Kingdom. You cant take EPCOT and the others in the mix because thats really what most of EPCOT is- food...
Dl has DTD right there to give guests great options right there. We found that with the exception of the Table service, WDW was not good for our family

That being said, Rancho del Zaccallo and Riverbelle Terrace have great options. But if we count table service in the parks, DL has it hands down with Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans and Carnation Cafe.

Burgers at theme parks are going to be hit or miss. We live in San Antonio and our Six Flags has a Johnny Rockets. Should be good right? NOPE!

We will be at Dl in one month for our 6th visit. We have only been to WDW once and will stick with DL and are looking forward to the meals we have planned. But we know from the posts here and the menus on allears.net where we will be eating to insure we are getting the best DL has to offer

Me (44 yikes!) , DH (46) , DD (11)
ballarinamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: