Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #61
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran
 
LisainCalifornia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
Agreed. I think we just get spoiled living in Seattle with the food. If you live in a place where Red Lobster is fine dining than the food at DL probably looks good.
I love Seattle! Such a beautiful city
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #62
AddictedtoDoleWhip
Mouseketeer
 
AddictedtoDoleWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 410

I found that counter service at WDW is horrendous, doesn't even compare to DL counterservice which I find to be much better. There isn't a lot of TS restaurants at DL compared to WDW so that is where I find WDW superior but other than that I still think DL is better.
AddictedtoDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #63
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 46,708

We are vegetarian so the variety we get at the parks is less than what others get, but we don't find it to be bad overall. Well, except for the veggie option at Flo's (ugh) and any scrambled "eggs" at the character breakfast...those are just awful. Bt other than that...

French Market has a new menu with a jambalaya...they can serve it vegetarian, and I found it to be quite spicy. Their corn chowder, also veggie, also has a spice to it, as does the veggie gumbo at Royal Street Veranda. Spice can be found!

It's funny, but I can really only remember Sunshine Seasons from WDW! I know we have eaten elsewhere, but all I can recall is their noodle bowl, which can be made as just a stir fry without the soup part. Funny.



Hint: if you like real eggs and want a character meal, do Surf's Up! Their omelettes are good, but they will also just make you eggs. They made huevos rancheros for me that nearly made me cry it was so good. Combined with the "avocado salsa" they had on the buffet and I was sooooooo happy that morning!
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #64
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that
 
disneegrl4eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smack dab in the middle of cali!!
Posts: 8,940

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

French Market has a new menu with a jambalaya...they can serve it vegetarian, and I found it to be quite spicy.
they have always served jambalaya...I love BB jambalaya because mainly its really spicy...way better than Jazz Kitchen but I havent always been able to go to BB so I just opt for FM instead
__________________
disneegrl4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #65
Huff
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,706

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoDoleWhip View Post
I found that counter service at WDW is horrendous, doesn't even compare to DL counterservice which I find to be much better. There isn't a lot of TS restaurants at DL compared to WDW so that is where I find WDW superior but other than that I still think DL is better.
Epcot is the only WDW park with some pretty good counter service choices. Disney Studios about the worst. At DLR I haven't found much I like inside the parks but have not been to DCA since last March before several new CS's have opened. There are several I like in DTD such as Jazz Kitchen Express.
__________________
1979-2012 Disneyland AP'ers
2005 Offsite
2006 POP
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #66
marcemc
I wouldn't be able to handle such fluffliness either
 
marcemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Not Disneyland
Posts: 1,866

We usually stick with the places we like, Hungry Bear, Plaza Inn & Pilot's Taste. We have young kids so fine dining is not our priority when we travel to DL, we need practical & eatable. We bring our own fruit because it is so expensive at the parks.

I actually think their food has improved, I remember going about 7 years ago and not being able to eat much.

We had Ghirardelli on Sunday & Tuesday and we thought their food was really good
__________________
DH me DS (8) DS (6) emma Mr. Ed
marcemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #67
KateDrake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
If you live in a place where Red Lobster is fine dining than the food at DL probably looks good.
LOL! I think we all know someone like this. They don't know what they are missing. Even so, if you do your research, I think you can find something good no matter where you are. I went to Ukraine on a grad school fellowship last year, and one of the girls in my group refused to eat any of the local food. She lived on McDonald's and Domino's pizza the entire time, with a few trips to the Ukrainian equivalent of Starbucks. Needless to say, she came home complaining that the food was terrible. But the rest of us, who did eat the local food, thought it was fabulous! Not what I would eat at home, but still super. BUT you had to be willing to try something new, and I think some people are just afraid to branch out, and they end up missing out.
KateDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #68
julsmom
DIS Veteran
 
julsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 40 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 3,264

It is all about personal tastes. I think my family is used to food that tastes better than that. To me it's not strictly table service vs counter service. The food I ate was ehh and the food I chose not to eat looked unappetizing. I wish it didn't have to be a needle in haystack situation. If I chose all bad places over 3 days, I don't think it's necessarily unlucky, but probably a decent indication of typical experiences.

If its like "you didn't have the soup/salad/sandwich at this place", I don't know why I can't find something decent at any of the places I tried.
julsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #69
Ancient Purple
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by julsmom View Post
It is all about personal tastes. I think my family is used to food that tastes better than that. To me it's not strictly table service vs counter service. The food I ate was ehh and the food I chose not to eat looked unappetizing. I wish it didn't have to be a needle in haystack situation. If I chose all bad places over 3 days, I don't think it's necessarily unlucky, but probably a decent indication of typical experiences.

If its like "you didn't have the soup/salad/sandwich at this place", I don't know why I can't find something decent at any of the places I tried.
Unfortunately, you may have to dig for information in order to find that stellar menu item even at a resort like Disney.

Remember, Disney is catering to a general population and, sadly, far too many Americans are satisfied with or even crave bland, unimaginative, mediocre food. This is why your local mom and pop Italian diner in a strip mall run by immigrants has six or seven tables and Olive Garden has a line out the door.

Couple that with the onslaught of children who are so "picky" as eaters they can only endure greasy chicken fingers, rubbery hamburgers, and something resembling pizza, and you have a recipe for a less than stellar dining experience at a park that has to cater to that on many levels.

That does not mean, however, that you can't find good, quality food at DLR. It just means that you have to do plenty of research and be willing to take some chances.

I am sorry you found the food in the park less than pleasing. I do hope that in the future you will try some of the things I have found quite better than average in the park including the fried chicken at Plaza Inn, the Pomme Frites at Cafe Orleans, the Corn Dogs on Main Street, the skewers at Bengal BBQ, the Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Basil Soup at Jolly Holiday, and some halfway decent BBQ at the Big Thunder Ranch.
Ancient Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #70
CamoMama
DIS Veteran
 
CamoMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 1,221

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateDrake View Post
LOL! I think we all know someone like this. They don't know what they are missing. Even so, if you do your research, I think you can find something good no matter where you are. I went to Ukraine on a grad school fellowship last year, and one of the girls in my group refused to eat any of the local food. She lived on McDonald's and Domino's pizza the entire time, with a few trips to the Ukrainian equivalent of Starbucks. Needless to say, she came home complaining that the food was terrible. But the rest of us, who did eat the local food, thought it was fabulous! Not what I would eat at home, but still super. BUT you had to be willing to try something new, and I think some people are just afraid to branch out, and they end up missing out.
This, definitely. I also live in Seattle (an OP claimed that if you live in Seattle you won't like the DLR food), nd I love Disneyland food. I love breakfast at the River Belle Terrace, lunches at the Hungry Bear (although I'm still upset that they no longer have the focaccia club sandwich), Pacific Wharf Cafe. the Golden Horseshoe (not a big selection but what they have is good and the entertainment makes it fun), dinner at the Blue Bayou (I've heard bad reviews, but every time I go it's delicious) or Goofy's Kitchen or Rancho Del Zocalo. The hot chocolate at Ghiradelli is amazing and perfect to get just before the fireworks, and of course Dole Whips at the Tiki Room and churros everywhere.

I think every restaurant in the world has served a few less than stellar meals, sometimes the chicken is dry or the steak overcooked or whatever. But I think that most people who criticize the food the most and insist that there's nothing good at Disney are people that are impossible to please in any case.
__________________

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #71
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,570

The Dole Whips???? I wonder what ingredient that makes them "good", is it the sodium caesinate, corn syrup solids, or maybe it is the mono & diglycerides? Do they make these things inside some chemical factory in New Jersey?

I don't understand why they can't just use milk, cane sugar, cream, and pineapples. Then they would be good.

Dole Whip Ingredients...

Water, Sugar, Dextrose, Pineapple Juice Concentrate,
Coconut Oil, Stabilizers (Cellulose, Xanthan Gum, Locust
Bean, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking),
Corn Syrup Solids, Citric Acid, Sodium Caseinate (A Milk
Derivative), Artificial Flavor, Potassium & Sodium
Phosphate, Mono & Diglycerides, Artificial Color (Yellow
5 & 6), Soy Lecithin.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #72
Eddygirl
Mouseketeer
 
Eddygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Purple View Post
Unfortunately, you may have to dig for information in order to find that stellar menu item even at a resort like Disney.

Remember, Disney is catering to a general population and, sadly, far too many Americans are satisfied with or even crave bland, unimaginative, mediocre food. This is why your local mom and pop Italian diner in a strip mall run by immigrants has six or seven tables and Olive Garden has a line out the door.

Couple that with the onslaught of children who are so "picky" as eaters they can only endure greasy chicken fingers, rubbery hamburgers, and something resembling pizza, and you have a recipe for a less than stellar dining experience at a park that has to cater to that on many levels.

That does not mean, however, that you can't find good, quality food at DLR. It just means that you have to do plenty of research and be willing to take some chances.

I am sorry you found the food in the park less than pleasing. I do hope that in the future you will try some of the things I have found quite better than average in the park including the fried chicken at Plaza Inn, the Pomme Frites at Cafe Orleans, the Corn Dogs on Main Street, the skewers at Bengal BBQ, the Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Basil Soup at Jolly Holiday, and some halfway decent BBQ at the Big Thunder Ranch.
^^^^^^^
This!!
I am a foodie and I loooove to cook. (and am a pretty darn good one at that!) We are from scratch eaters here the majority of the time too. Our kids are pretty adventurous eaters.

I did not expect Park food at Disney to be stellar. The meals they serve even on a slow day would be in the 10's of thousands and they have to cater to the wants of the majority of the people. I did research before we went and found some very good food in the parks that did not leave me disappointed. Bengal BBQ was good, Pomme Frites and Beignets...also good, lunch at the BB was fantastic (although HUGE!!), and the hand dipped corn dogs from the cart or the Castle were a treat. We did not get to the Hungry Bear as I had hoped, but my SIL had the green tomato sandwich and the little pie and loved it.I had the chili cone queso form a cozy cone and enjoyed it a lot. These are just a few off the top of my head. This does not include the "treats" we indulged in too. Candy Palace Peanut brittle and the Mickey and Minnie Caramel apples were amazing.

One of my favorite food moments was getting 2 "Matterhorn Macaroons" from the Jolly Holiday, then getting a Dole Whip and sharing with my DD. OMG...lovley soft moist coconut cookie with frozen pineapple Dole Whip..........Heaven!! Now I am craving it!!!!!

Disneyland is a once every 2-3 year thing for us. When we are there we kinda throw caution to the wind when it comes to indulging on food we would not have at home. There is something about the atmosphere at DL that makes food and treats...well, better! How could you not enjoy a meal eating at the BB?? The eating at night on a Bayou even when it is really 1pm and 105 degrees outside! We had the creme brule for dessert. It was fabulous!! TBH, the creme brule I make is as good or even better, but I can not compete with the atmosphere!!!!!

Last edited by Eddygirl; 10-07-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Spelling...lol
Eddygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #73
CamoMama
DIS Veteran
 
CamoMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 1,221

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
The Dole Whips???? I wonder what ingredient that makes them "good"
It's the taste that makes them good. If you're so health conscious that you have to inspect the label on everything, even on vacation, then fine, don't eat a Dole Whip. But they taste good, and I will enjoy them when I'm at Disneyland, even though I wouldn't even consider having one at home.
__________________

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #74
DisneyBiskit
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyBiskit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
The Dole Whips???? I wonder what ingredient that makes them "good", is it the sodium caesinate, corn syrup solids, or maybe it is the mono & diglycerides? Do they make these things inside some chemical factory in New Jersey?

I don't understand why they can't just use milk, cane sugar, cream, and pineapples. Then they would be good.

Dole Whip Ingredients...

Water, Sugar, Dextrose, Pineapple Juice Concentrate,
Coconut Oil, Stabilizers (Cellulose, Xanthan Gum, Locust
Bean, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking),
Corn Syrup Solids, Citric Acid, Sodium Caseinate (A Milk
Derivative), Artificial Flavor, Potassium & Sodium
Phosphate, Mono & Diglycerides, Artificial Color (Yellow
5 & 6), Soy Lecithin.
Wow.....talk about killing the magic!
DisneyBiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #75
lizabu
DIS Veteran
 
lizabu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBiskit View Post
Wow.....talk about killing the magic!
lol...next thing you know someone will start posting how many calories are in things
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: