Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #31
holcomb-mania
DIS Veteran

As a WDW vet, I tend to lean toward table-service restaurants, and for the most part we've been happy. I realize DLR is more counter-service focused, so I was adjusting my expectations. I hope I make the right restaurant choices.

For anyone familiar with WDW, is there anywhere in DLR similar to Sunshine Seasons in Epcot? It's an excellent counter-service place that I wish they'd copy in the other parks.
holcomb-mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #32
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holcomb-mania
As a WDW vet, I tend to lean toward table-service restaurants, and for the most part we've been happy. I realize DLR is more counter-service focused, so I was adjusting my expectations. I hope I make the right restaurant choices.
What do you have planned currently?
sonnyjane is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #33
Monica D
Ready to plan my next cruise!

I agree with the OP. This last trip I brought my own breakfast and lunch with me. I do love the snacks/sweets, and usually allow myself one per day. Other than that, I think the food isn't all that great.

Dh Me
Ds (17) Dd (15)

Monica D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #34
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holcomb-mania

For anyone familiar with WDW, is there anywhere in DLR similar to Sunshine Seasons in Epcot? It's an excellent counter-service place that I wish they'd copy in the other parks.
Not really. In my opinion the closest thing would be the wharf at DCA where they have Soups, Salads, Mexican ((really bad Mexican if you ask me), Chinese (which I like but it seems not to liked here on the boards) and a Ghirardelli. I just got back from a 12 day trip to WDW. I must say I got the Bacon Cheese Burger at the Mara a few times and I thought it was fine. We at a a bunch of table service there (Thanks Tables In Wonderland). All were outstanding. Maybe I am not that picky. I don't know. I, overall, like the food at DL as well. Guess I am in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #35
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

I agree. I find things I like, but overall the food is pretty meh.

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #36
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

I find it like it better than most large venue food services. I find more things I like at the DLR than most airports (save a few), stadiums, and conferences. I don't think it is quite fair to compare Disneyland to most restaurants since they serve more people in a few hours at Disneyland than my favorite restaurants do in weeks! And let's not even talk about the gross food I was served at my last conference.

There is good food at the Resort and some fine dining, but most of the food is for masses of people, which any caterer will tell you is hard to do well.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #37
Huff
DIS Veteran

DLR is for those whom their main interest is inside the parks, rides, shows and attractions. The ability to walk between two parks, 3 resorts and DTD can't be matched at WDW. You can do more in less time at DLR.

WDW is for those that prefer longer more relaxing vacations. It's 23+ resorts with their own restaurants along with Epcots are hard to beat. There is far more to do outside the parks, boating, fishing, golfing, water parks etc. to make a long vacation possible.

That said neither is better than the other. We frequent both almost every year but for totally different types of vacations. Love the dining and relaxation of a slower paced vacation at WDW and love the in park atmosphere and ability to do more in less time at DLR. There are some great restaurants at DLR too, just not nearly as many choices as WDW.
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #38
holcomb-mania
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
What do you have planned currently?
On my radar:
Bengal BBQ
Blue Bayou
Big Thunder Ranch
Flo's V8
Naples (or Napolini)
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen
Goofy's Kitchen
holcomb-mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #39
julsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holcomb-mania View Post
On my radar:
Bengal BBQ
Blue Bayou
Big Thunder Ranch
Flo's V8
Naples (or Napolini)
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen
Goofy's Kitchen
Just FYI, BTR has long waits, so be aware. And Flo's is really popular with the large Cars crowds. Just so you can be on top of it.
julsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #40
mouseymommy
I love the smell of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by julsmom View Post
Just FYI, BTR has long waits, so be aware. And Flo's is really popular with the large Cars crowds. Just so you can be on top of it.
We always make a reservation and are seated right away.
mouseymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #41
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseymommy View Post
We always make a reservation and are seated right away.
Reservations are a good idea for table service and eating in the off times is a great idea for counter service places like Flo's.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #42
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn_Rider View Post
I think you kinda hit a bad run of choices. Everyone I've taken to Hungry Bear has loved it. The chili is good, the cupcake is great so are the onion rings. Bengal BBQ is always great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBelle View Post
I NEVER get a burger at DL, WDW, or DCL... I have yet to have a good burger at any of them!!!
I only started going back to HB after they changed their menus...I hadnt been there for a long time because of how bad the burgers were...but now...its a definite go to place every time...the burgers were so fresh and yummy I could really use one right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmom View Post
You're spoiled by WDW. WDW has an amazing selection. The customers they serve are different (DL - day visitors, WDW - vacationers). I wish they would bring some of the WDW oferings to DL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyismyheart247 View Post
Hmm, funny. I've heard WDW has better table service but DLR has better quick service. I love the food at DLR, though I will admit I'm not all that impressed with River Belle Terrace. Seems you just had a bad experience. Hopefully next time your choices will have more luck
Me too rmom...and disneyismyheart..not true at all...in fact one of my favs at the wdw parks is Flame Tree at AK and its a CS...and i even ate mexican there and I never eat mexican at the parks and it was a CS and good too...oh and Pecos Bills with their bar fixins is waaaaaaaaay better imo than Taste Pilots...
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #43
gokdog
Mouseketeer

Maybe WDW is just better for food, but DL food is still good

I think I like many other previous posters have found my fav's at the Disneyland Resort.

Cafe Orleans is really good

Storytellers is solid, if unspectacular

and my favorite bargain place in DCA is the Boardwalk Pizza area

Now that being said, our entire family loved the food last year at WDW, certainly it was varied and different, catching the themes of the resorts and locations very well, and certainly eating with the free dining plan also did make the food taste better
Walt Disney World
WDW POFQ Dec 2011, Beach Club 2013
gokdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #44
smiley_face2
What a great idea for a thread! Good grief, I'm going to gain another 5 pounds

Quote:
I agree with most of what everyone is saying. I think maybe 10 or 15 years ago I might have been more in the food target that Disney seems to be aiming for. I think my tastes are snootier than Disney prepares for.
don't understand why you chose mostly counter service in that case? counter service is always going to be more generic tasting and cheaper. Although the Plaza Inn is counter service and it is by no means bland or meh. Did you try Blue Bayou, Cafe New Orleans, Carnation Cafe, The Big thunder Ranch Barbecue, even French Market counter service? Also Rancho Del Zocollo. and in DCA, how about Ariels Grotto, or the new Carthay Circle Theater restaurant. Wine Country Trattoria, The Cove Bar, even Flo's and on the Pacific Wharf both Lucky Fortune Cookery and the clam chowder bread bowls from the Pacific wharf cafe. In the hotels there is Storytellers, and of course Napa Rose. Steakhouse 55 is amazing, even their lounge is excellent. The new Trader Sams is soooo good! what about Catal's, or Tortilla Joes, or Ralph Brennans? all very excellent places to eat. Did you try any of these?

In Loving Memory of our dear son 02/22/1982-01/28/2011
smiley_face2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #45
BarbLM
Earning My Ears

I have to say I totally agree, DL food was bland! All the sit down resteraunt tasted or should I say lack of taste the same. For the amount of money we paid, I expected so much more.
BarbLM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: