Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Flynn_Rider
Beware of the Smolder
 
Flynn_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBelle View Post
I NEVER get a burger at DL, WDW, or DCL... I have yet to have a good burger at any of them!!!
I agree, but I think the hungry bear is making a fine burger and I've heard that the Village haus has a pretty good burger as well.
Flynn_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
madmaxx
Earning My Ears
 
madmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Langley, BC, Canada!
Posts: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn_Rider View Post
I think you kinda hit a bad run of choices. Everyone I've taken to Hungry Bear has loved it.
We had pretty mixed results at the Hungry Bear, enough so that it's not on our list for our next trip. Mostly the food was not very fresh (though when it was fresh, it was quite good). We are curious about the new menu (fried green tomato sandwich!), but are wary due to previous tepid meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn_Rider View Post
I honestly won't go down to the Wharf on DCA because it seems like a glorified food court and I know Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta and Paradise Garden Grill are awesome.
We actually found the Wharf food very good, especially the noodle/rice stand (and they have beer + margaritas). in 2009 we considered the Warf the best counter service in DCA or DL (but not DTD). I'm not sure how the menu changes this year will affect that rating. We also missed a number of counter service restaurants that year due to construction (and our own lack of knowledge).
madmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
Flynn_Rider
Beware of the Smolder
 
Flynn_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
We had pretty mixed results at the Hungry Bear, enough so that it's not on our list for our next trip. Mostly the food was not very fresh (though when it was fresh, it was quite good). We are curious about the new menu (fried green tomato sandwich!), but are wary due to previous tepid meals.
Ahh...I've only have been doing Hungry Bear since the new menu, and I've had 3 great experiences with large groups all of which chimed in and said it was a very good lunch choice. And my girlfriend can not make a Disney visit without getting the Bumblebee Cupcake.
Flynn_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
madmaxx
Earning My Ears
 
madmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Langley, BC, Canada!
Posts: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn_Rider View Post
Ahh...I've only have been doing Hungry Bear since the new menu, and I've had 3 great experiences with large groups all of which chimed in and said it was a very good lunch choice. And my girlfriend can not make a Disney visit without getting the Bumblebee Cupcake.
We'll have to try it again in November then. Thanks for the recommendation!
madmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
Mary09
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Snappy View Post
I prefer Disneyland by far over WDW...but I have to agree with you on the food. I would not say it all "sucks" but the good choices are few and far between.
I agree on both counts. I didn't know DL had ANY good food until I tried the Cafe Orleans fries. Bengal BBQ is ok but expensive for the small portions.

Even at the food and wine festival at EPCOT, I thought everything was mediocre. Which was better than the outright bad food I've gotten at the usual EPCOT restaurants.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #21
kirstie101
DIS Veteran
 
kirstie101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,332

Oh wow I love the food at DL and DCA! Eating on the parks is one of my favorite parts of our vacation! Can't miss Plaza Inn, Hungry Bear, fortune cookie, Ariel's grotto....so many good places to choose from!
__________________




Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
DisneyIT
Earning My Ears
 
DisneyIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by julsmom View Post
Just got back on Monday. Luckily avoided the bad heat. Most noteable, even over WDW, is that DL food is so bad. There is very little variation between restaurants and its all very bland.
You are sooooo right, we have this issue a DL and try not to compare to WDW. We did find the Paradise Garden Grill had a Mediterranean kabob that was actually not bad, and the Jalepeno Cheese pretzels were good at one cart, but awful at another cart. It is very difficult to find decent food in the parks but DCA seems to be better than DL.
__________________
I've looked everywhere and I can't find the ANY key!
DisneyIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
mydisneymoney
Prince Alex's Mom
 
mydisneymoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 361

[QUOTE=madmaxx;46359145]We had pretty mixed results at the Hungry Bear, enough so that it's not on our list for our next trip. Mostly the food was not very fresh (though when it was fresh, it was quite good). We are curious about the new menu (fried green tomato sandwich!), but are wary due to previous tepid meals.QUOTE]


I love the Fried Green Tomato sandwich. It is SUPER! I am not a fan of sweet potatoes but I did try the sweet potatoe fries and they were not bad but I would substitute the fries for onion rings IMO.
mydisneymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl
 
ArchOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 2,254

DLR food can be hit or miss. Fortunately, there is a lot of good information on these boards that can help you find the gems. I actually think the DLR has come a long way in the past few years in terms of food. Back when I got my first AP (in the mid 2000s), there was hardly any variety at all. Now I can get decent salads and a lot more interesting food, as long as I know where to go.

It looks like the OP ran into a string of bad luck there with food choices. I probably would have steered them away from almost all of those places. Disney really should have a more consistent approach to food, but they are making changes to improve.

There are amazing food choices at the DLR (Napa Rose!) and there are some real duds. I hope the OP gives DL another shot. After all, I am sure it would be entirely possible to strike out at WDW if you weren't familiar with the food choices.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
figment_jii
DIS Veteran
 
figment_jii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12,361

I agree that the OP had a run of bad luck. I like some of the food options at DLR.

To the OP, I'd check out the Disneyland Dining reviews thread (http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1253888) to see the range of food choices out there!
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #26
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post

It looks like the OP ran into a string of bad luck there with food choices. I probably would have steered them away from almost all of those places. Disney really should have a more consistent approach to food, but they are making changes to improve.
I think they need to work on making the quality consistent, but I know from reading on the boards over the last few years that while many of us, myself included, really like the new, interesting things they are working on, there are still many out there that don't like the new "avant garde" combinations at the restaurants or the veering from the traditional. Even though Hungry Bear offers yummy onion rings, sweet potato fries, and a zesty vegetable slaw, surely you remember reading the uproar about getting rid of the regular fries. And I have seen lots of posts over the last couple of years from people saying that their kids (older than toddler meal age) only eat chicken nuggets or plain mac and cheese, so there is surely a market for keeping some of that boring, bland food as not everyone has an adventurous palate, especially kids.

I think they need to work on improving their basics...the burgers, the pizza, etc. at the places that will retain those simple items, but I'm one of the people that really enjoys all of their new food offerings.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #27
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl
 
ArchOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 2,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
I think they need to work on making the quality consistent, but I know from reading on the boards over the last few years that while many of us, myself included, really like the new, interesting things they are working on, there are still many out there that don't like the new "avant garde" combinations at the restaurants or the veering from the traditional. Even though Hungry Bear offers yummy onion rings, sweet potato fries, and a zesty vegetable slaw, surely you remember reading the uproar about getting rid of the regular fries. And I have seen lots of posts over the last couple of years from people saying that their kids (older than toddler meal age) only eat chicken nuggets or plain mac and cheese, so there is surely a market for keeping some of that boring, bland food as not everyone has an adventurous palate, especially kids.

I think they need to work on improving their basics...the burgers, the pizza, etc. at the places that will retain those simple items, but I'm one of the people that really enjoys all of their new food offerings.
I agree about the quality. I would love it if each restaurant area had both "standard" items and "novel" items. That way everyone in the group would be happy. If someone wants a burger and fries, they could have it. But I could still have my fried green tomato sandwich and veggie slaw! I think there are a lot of people who like the standard fare, but especially in California, people's tastes and preferences are changing. But it is definitely a tough balance. I wouldn't want to be in Disney's shoes. But I do know they are paying attention to the food issue, because I have been surveyed over the last year many times and out of the 5 or so surveys I have done, I think 4 of them were about food!

That is why I end up taking a lot of people over to DCA and doing the Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta and Paradise Grill option. Someone gets cheese pizza, someone gets pasta, another gets salad, and more adventurous people get the skewers, etc. Heck, someone in our party went to the Corn Dog Castle and got one of those and ate with us.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #28
julsmom
DIS Veteran
 
julsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 40 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 3,264

I agree with most of what everyone is saying. I think maybe 10 or 15 years ago I might have been more in the food target that Disney seems to be aiming for. I think my tastes are snootier than Disney prepares for.
julsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #29
rmom
Mouseketeer
 
rmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West Coast
Posts: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by julsmom View Post
Just got back on Monday. Luckily avoided the bad heat. Most noteable, even over WDW, is that DL food is so bad. There is very little variation between restaurants and its all very bland.
You're spoiled by WDW. WDW has an amazing selection. The customers they serve are different (DL - day visitors, WDW - vacationers). I wish they would bring some of the WDW oferings to DL.
rmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #30
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream
 
disneyismyheart247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 164

Hmm, funny. I've heard WDW has better table service but DLR has better quick service. I love the food at DLR, though I will admit I'm not all that impressed with River Belle Terrace. Seems you just had a bad experience. Hopefully next time your choices will have more luck
__________________
To live would be an awfully big adventure!

Last edited by disneyismyheart247; 10-05-2012 at 06:12 PM.
disneyismyheart247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: