Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
maeslife
Earning My Ears

Laptops at Disney

I leave in five days and have everything planned and ready. Now my teenagers want to take a laptop? Are you kidding me? We are going to disney who will have time for a laptop? Tell me has anyone taken their laptop with them on the trip? Do you really have time to use them? We already have their IPod's and phones, etc. Just would love opinions, should I take it or make them leave it at home.

CSR July 2004
WL Nov 2008
WL June 2010
POFQ April 2011
ASM OCT 2012
maeslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maeslife View Post
I leave in five days and have everything planned and ready. Now my teenagers want to take a laptop? Are you kidding me? We are going to disney who will have time for a laptop? Tell me has anyone taken their laptop with them on the trip? Do you really have time to use them? We already have their IPod's and phones, etc. Just would love opinions, should I take it or make them leave it at home.
I take my laptop, and both DD's take theirs...and if DH is there with us, he has his too. I would never travel without my laptop! Mostly I use it to download my pictures every night...but also for the internet.

Why would you want to make them leave them at home? They can toss them in their backpack on the plane and it can and will keep them entertained during any downtime at the resort.
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
jmendez24
Mouseketeer

We take ours every trip....and never use it.

But your teenagers might have more energy when they return to the room then we do. We are always so tired by the time we get back, that we shower and go to sleep. No real computer time, it's actually kindof nice.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
kamik86
DIS Veteran

I have had a laptop on every trip I have taken.

I was doing an online school for my masters so I had to get work done. I also used it for last minute ADR changes and to check some schedule stuff a few times as its easier then using my phone.

I imagine next time I'll go I'll take my work one so I can check my work email. I won't do a ton of work or anything much less then I did of school work really.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

I won't take my laptop to Disney. I like to be out of the real world as much as possible - having my phone is plenty. My best friend always brings hers because she takes thousands of pictures and has to download them every night, but other than that she wouldn't bring hers either.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

We rarely go on vacation without our laptop. Like a PP, I dump all my photos every night from my camera. Even do a little editing if I'm in the mood. Since we only have one smart phone, it allows both of us to check email and web surf if we feel like it.

Can you survive on vacation without a laptop- of course. Is it nice to have if it's convenient- of course.

ETA: I absolutely wouldn't permit them to be carried outside the resort though! They're way too big, and too great a risk of them being damaged (or lost/stolen).
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Sure, but only for use in the resort room. I have an Ipad now, and that's what comes along. Are they planning on carrying their laptops to the parks? What do they want to do with the laptops, is it stuff they can't do with their Ipods?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
MichiganKris
Mouseketeer

I'd let them bring them if for no other reason then it is not worth the argument. If they use them fine, if not they are the ones lugging them around.
MichiganKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

Don't take one, never would and wouldn't let a child bring one either. I'm pretty old school on technology though and think a family vacation should be about time with family. I like my gadgets, no doubt, but I did our last trip with just my phone. It was only used for an hour or so after my son was asleep to do a little surfing and some social media checking.

I have more than enough storage space for photos and I don't do work while I'm on vacation.

That's me though, if somebody wants to lug a laptop with them, then so be it, to each their own. But, with children, I would be sure to have ground rules in place for usage, much like one should have at home anyway.
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
funkdot
Earning My Ears

I'll be bringing my 17.3" beast on our upcoming trip. It will:

-Combat boredom on the plane ride.
-Allow me to dump our daily photos and videos from my phone and digital camera.
-Allow my gf to nerd out on her MMOs at night.
-Allow me to check in on work and take care of something if there's an emergency.
-Allow us to watch Netflix and all those streaming goodies.
-Allow me to update my website daily. Could do it form a phone but it's 10x faster when I can actually type using all my fingers and don't have to keep correcting auto-correct when it auto-corrects incorrectly.

It's not like I'll be carrying it around the park or anything, but I do enjoy coming home from the parks and being able to do what I need to before bed.

Duff-a-day!

Pirates was better before the movie. GO SOX.
funkdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
katt789
DIS Veteran

I usually bring my laptop, and I use it at night while winding down, you know, check the dis/tumblr/facebook, I also will use it to upload/edit photos during the trip, and to start going through photopass photos while I'm still down there (they usually pop up on the acct by the end of the day) so that it takes less time to get the cd in the mail.

I will let you know though, I've traveled with friends who took laptops and they would jump on them in the mornings while getting ready, and I was all "uhm....no...we're going to be late" I'd say make some kind of deal that they only use them at night and it'd be okay

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Nairnyn
Mouseketeer

We take our laptop every trip. We aren't commando style, so we have down time at the resort. It's nice to be able to download pictures, or even just surf the web while doing laundry, or the other of us is napping or showering....

I would say that as long as your kids know that it's not something they are going to be glued to all day, every day, and it's more for down time and end of day use, it wouldn't hurt to let them bring it.

11/99: BWI; 10/05: Off property; 4/06: Off property; 10/06: SSR; 12/06: ASMovies; 12/07: ASMusic;
3/08: ASMovies; 12/08: Off property; 9/09: ASMovies; 1/10: Pop; 3/11: POR; 12/11: POR; 10/12-11/12: ASMusic
Nairnyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
POB14
Colleen and Mary's BaBa
Feet are, without doubt, the best argument AGAINST intelligent design I can imagine!

We took a netbook last year. I had to work on a project for work, and we loaded some movies on it for the kids to watch.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
mrp4352
DIS Veteran

I take mine and write on my trip report each evening. It helps me wind down and also to remember all the little details that I may forget when writing a week later! But, that's pretty much all I use mine for...

Disney Dream Maiden Voyage trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post40042393
May 21, 2012 Yukon Ho! Wonder cruise report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2937171
mrp4352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

I bring my laptop on every trip. I unload my pics every night. Sometimes I use it for other stuff....but I usually crash after we get in at night!

wdwpirates is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: