Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
pittsburghmom
Mouseketeer

Any quiet areas to nurse distractable baby in parks??

....besides the baby care centers? My dd will be 11 months when we go in January and gets easily distracted with noises/people etc. I am going to make a nursing necklace once I can make it over to the craft store here in the next day or two to see if that will help keep her focused....... Besides schleping over to the baby care center for feedings, are there any nice and QUIET areas in the parks? Probably a tall order to fill, but thought I'd ask. (Not really worried about nursing in public....as this is my 3rd nursling and I am not worried about covering/hiding, etc)......

We plan on visiting all the parks, so if you could be specific with park/areas, etc~!! Thanks!!!
pittsburghmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
hipporina
I keep Kleenex in business

We just got back from a 10 day trip and I only went to the baby care centers twice. My little guy won't take bottles and isn't that into solids yet, so he nurses pretty frequently still. It was just so much easier to nurse wherever we were and keep on going. I nursed during longer shows/attractions as much as possible, and that worked pretty well. I did find a few out of the way spots to stop for a bit.

Magic Kingdom
-There is an open area outside of the bathrooms near Pinocchio's in Fanstasyland with seating along the castle wall. Relatively calm.
-During Philharmagic, Carousel of Progress, or Hall of Presidents
-Near the bathrooms in Tomorrowland. Again, out of the way with seating.

Epcot
- One of the loveliest spots is the smoking area between Mission Space and Universe of Energy. Quiet and secluded and if you get there in the morning before any smokers do, it is really nice. Of course, you could be interrupted if someone comes to smoke. Fortunately for us, he was done before anyone showed up.
- In The Seas pavilion. The atmosphere is kind of dark, calm, and soothing. I sat on the floor to the side of the stairs and it was quiet and out of the way.
- On Spaceship Earth.
- There is a nice seating area in Innoventions that is calm.
- In the World Showcase, it is pretty easy to walk back through the countries and find a quiet bench. Just be careful that you aren't where characters come. I was part way through feeding Jude at a bench off to the side in France when I realized that Princess Aurora would be coming to that spot soon. It went from deserted to super crowded in no time! I was lucky to finish right before the crowds arrived.

Hollywood Studios
- This was the hardest park for me. Overall, it just seems to have a higher energy atmosphere. I did nurse during Lights, Motors, Actions, but it was very loud. I honestly can't remember where all I fed him, but I do know that this is one of the times I ended up taking him to the baby center. He and I were both ready for some downtime, so we sent the big kids with daddy to ride stuff, and we took our time nursing and relaxing. Since it isn't quite as big of a park, it wasn't too much trouble to go up there.

Animal Kingdom
- We didn't spend a whole lot of time here, so I can't help much! My best bets would be during the shows or on one of the pathways around the tree of life.

Good luck and have fun!

WDW: 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, Dec 2013
Disneyland: 2009
hipporina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
pittsburghmom
Mouseketeer

Hipporina--Thank you for your detailed post! Thankful to hear that there are some quiet spots to be found!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

i have a few to add:

MK
--if you are facing Pirates, to your left is a pathway (that CMs use to take breaks, switch shifts, etc.) with benches. i nursed there on our trip. other than a few CMs, nobody really walks back there.

Epcot
--the American Adventure: we made sure to get seats near the back and i moved to the very back once the show started.

Animal Kingdom
--if you need to nurse during "off" dining times, there are tables near the back entrance to Restaurantosaurus that are pretty quiet. the pathway near there is pretty quiet as well.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

You already got some great suggestions, one more that I'll add is that I nursed my son while riding TTA in the MK. It's one of our family's favorite places to sit, take off our shoes and relax for a while. Usually the cast members will let you stay on and ride multiple consecutive times.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
singoldsby
Earning My Ears

Here is where I had luck:

MK - The walkway between the castle and the Hall of Presidents. There are some quieter benches a little bit off the path (that area is quieter in general). There are also some pathways by the water near the Riverboat that are pretty quiet.

AK - There are a lot of quiet benches throughout the park and little pathways. Probably the easiest one to find a spot.

Epcot - Definitely the area over by Mission Space. There is a whole place no one seems to even go. The boat that travels through the world showcase is great to because you can ride it as long as you need and the movement of the boat is really helpful and soothing.

HS - Near the Fantasmic entrance is usually deserted during the day.
singoldsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
jamala
Mouseketeer

Mk--Hall of Presidents is great (usually not crowded and a quiet 20 min. show)
Behind the Christmas shoppe is a great quiet place if it is not character time

AK--Any of the shows just sit near the back and it will be quieter/darker

Epcot--lots of quiet places behind the countries and a quiet bench area near the bathrooms close to test track.
jamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

The biggest issue I had finding places to nurse was that many of the places with seating away from the excitement are designated smoking areas.
It's not any fun to find a nice rocking chair somewhere and have someone start blowing smoke in your face.

Just make sure to double check the signage in the area before settling in somewhere.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
pittsburghmom
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions! I am taking notes!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
Help, Please!
Mouseketeer

We just went to the Magic Kingdom today, and there were a few areas closed...in January, "slow season," there are always food areas/ attractions that are closed seasonally, and those areas are always more empty. Today, for example, the food place (Taco something?) right across from Pirates was closed, but there were maybe 20-30 tables mostly empty, just a few families sitting around the edges. Nice quiet place.
Help, Please! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: