Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #91
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbell111 View Post
I don't think that's how OnStar works. Imagine the potential liability if GM directed you right to the baddie who jacked your car and he killed you (or you him). It's more likely that they will work with the police to recover your vehicle (as shown on the OnStar commercials).

From OnStar.com

Quote:
helping you get your vehicle back, safely.

There's no experience of safety like feeling confident—even after an auto theft. If your vehicle is stolen, OnStar works with the police to attempt to recover it—swiftly and safely
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #92
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
I don't think that's how OnStar works. Imagine the potential liability if GM directed you right to the baddie who jacked your car and he killed you (or you him). It's more likely that they will work with the police to recover your vehicle (as shown on the OnStar commercials).
Well, as someone who spends 40 hours a week listening to the police scanners, I do hear broadcasts about On Star reporting a stolen car in a specific location. But.....and I don't have onstar......thought one of the perks of it was you could check on where your car is like when your kids have it. I'm sure the liabiliy concern is lawyered away in the contract you sign when you sign up.
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #93
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurafergie View Post
I live in Virginia. EVERY car (total of 4) we have ever bought or financed at a dealership, we have gotten the call a few days later that we owed them money. It has ranged from $500-$2500. We never paid it and offered to bring the car back and void the deal, but the dealership always ate their mistake. This even happened the time we paid with a cashiers check, like the guy in the article. I absolutely hate dealerships and refuse to buy a car from them ever again.

I have never had this happen. I worked in a huge auto factory (12,000+ people worked there) lots of people that bought new cars all the time and never heard of this.
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #94
sbell111
I don't care if people walk slowly, as long as they are willing to do it behind me
Our roomba locked itself in the laundry room not too long ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy

Well, as someone who spends 40 hours a week listening to the police scanners, I do hear broadcasts about On Star reporting a stolen car in a specific location. But.....and I don't have onstar......thought one of the perks of it was you could check on where your car is like when your kids have it.
We have OnStar. That is not one of the listed benefits.

A better plan would be to make them give you their iPhone password.
Quote:
I'm sure the liabiliy concern is lawyered away in the contract you sign when you sign up.
A contact that takes away someone else's right to sue would not be enforceable.
sbell111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #95
sbell111
I don't care if people walk slowly, as long as they are willing to do it behind me
Our roomba locked itself in the laundry room not too long ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. C.

I have never had this happen. I worked in a huge auto factory (12,000+ people worked there) lots of people that bought new cars all the time and never heard of this.
I doubt that a dealership would be stupid enough to try to cheat people buying on the A plan (or whatever the specific company calls it).
sbell111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #96
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Well, as someone who spends 40 hours a week listening to the police scanners, I do hear broadcasts about On Star reporting a stolen car in a specific location. But.....and I don't have onstar......thought one of the perks of it was you could check on where your car is like when your kids have it. I'm sure the liabiliy concern is lawyered away in the contract you sign when you sign up.
No, it's like Lojack in that aspect. The company can find it, you can't.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #97
jujube
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not only can they track you even if you cancel the service onstar still maintains tracking unless you specifically ask them not to do so. They can also listen w/out you having onstar turned on using a passive listening feature. Hello Big Brother

http://www.tonyrogers.com/news/onstar.htm
The FBI found out about this passive listening feature and promptly served OnStar with a court order forcing the company to give it access. The court order the FBI gave OnStar was not something out of the Patriot Act involving international terrorism or national security but a simple criminal case.

According to court records, OnStar complied with the order but filed a protest lawsuit against the FBI.

Yet the FBI was able to enforce the original legal order and completed its surveillance because OnStar's lawsuit took nearly two years to pass through the court system.
jujube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #98
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Not a lawyer, but that is a pretty standard clause in a lot of contracts I have seen....although usually with an alternate remedy specified, such as arbitration or limtis. I believe if you have Kaiser Permanente health insurance, you agree not to sue for more than $25,000 if they commit malpractice.
Actually, thinking way way back to my business law classes, as long as you get "consideration" for signing that right away, it is perfectly legal.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #99
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
We have OnStar. That is not one of the listed benefits.
I guess you missed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
From OnStar.com

helping you get your vehicle back, safely.

There's no experience of safety like feeling confident—even after an auto theft. If your vehicle is stolen, OnStar works with the police to attempt to recover it—swiftly and safely
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #100
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
It sure is. Every time you park your car in a parking garage, your ticket has a clear waiver of liability. It's enforceable and usually is enforced. Every time you go on a dangerous ride or a trip, waiver of liability is on the release (that's what a release is!). It's enforceable. Every time you sign a permission slip for your kid to go on a field trip, your'e signing a waiver of liability. It's enforceable.

(And yes, I am a lawyer. But you don't have to be - just watch Judge Judy or People's Court!)

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #101
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

This whole situation is silly. $5k? Really. they probably sold it to him at factory cost and realized it too late. I used to work in car sales as a teen and I remember one guy making 10k commission off one sale. They should have just taken it for what it was. Their mistake.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #102
jujube
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not a lawyer, but that is a pretty standard clause in a lot of contracts I have seen....although usually with an alternate remedy specified, such as arbitration or limtis. I believe if you have Kaiser Permanente health insurance, you agree not to sue for more than $25,000 if they commit malpractice.
Actually, thinking way way back to my business law classes, as long as you get "consideration" for signing that right away, it is perfectly legal.
Signing it doesn't mean someone cannot sue.
jujube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #103
tvguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujube View Post
Signing it doesn't mean someone cannot sue.
True. But it greatly increases the risk your suit will be thrown out.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #104
phred52
I love vacation!

Interesting reading.

I always thought the car dealer (who called my sister the day BEFORE she picked up her new car) was a wacko. He told her she needed to bring an additional $1500 because he made a mistake ..... She told HIM she had a signed contract and IF he didn't deliver as per the contract she'd have him in court so fast ..... She got her car as originally agreed upon. Helped, I'm sure, that she's an attorney and knows 'the language'.
phred52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #105
2binak
DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurafergie View Post
I live in Virginia. EVERY car (total of 4) we have ever bought or financed at a dealership, we have gotten the call a few days later that we owed them money. It has ranged from $500-$2500. We never paid it and offered to bring the car back and void the deal, but the dealership always ate their mistake. This even happened the time we paid with a cashiers check, like the guy in the article. I absolutely hate dealerships and refuse to buy a car from them ever again.
DH & I have bought 6 cars at dealerships over the years and have never had a dealership call us after the sale and tell us that we owed them money Sounds like you've been dealing with some shady dealerships.

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 SSR
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: