Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #31
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
Yes and those awards were later drastically reduced. IIRC she only ended up with about 10 grand.
No one knows what she actually received, part of the agreement was that it wasn't to be made public.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #32
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigs32 View Post
Many if you are assuming the dealership truthfully explained the circumstances to the police.
That shouldn't matter. The police should have investigated the claim by the dealer fully before arresting the man. Anyone can accuse anyone of doing anything. Before an arrest is made those accusations should be fully investigated.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #33
christineann
DIS Veteran

It sounds like the dealership hasn't been honest with the police or the customer. The dealership would have had to press charges to have the guy arrested, and I'm sure whatever documentation they gave to the police to have the customer arrested will be divulged in the lawsuit.
christineann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #34
newt2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
No one knows what she actually received, part of the agreement was that it wasn't to be made public.
Fair enough.

Regardless my point stands that this guy will probably get far less than what he's asking for.
newt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #35
rigs32
DIS Veteran

The police investigate by talking to victims. In this case, it's possible the "victim" lied. It's not uncommon for more information to come out after an arrest. The police need probable cause to arrest which is usually the victims statement. Happens all the time.
rigs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #36
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Quote:
Most people don't remember that the coffee lady at McDonald's only ended up getting a fraction of what her suit was for, they only remember the 1 million initially in the news.
She asked for a 20k settlement from McDonald's initially. Note that her medical bills plus lost work alone were 18k. So she was offering to settle for just $2k for pain and suffering and no punitive damages. McDonalds should have jumped on this and settled it. But when they stupidly refused, she got an attorney. As of the last court decision before they ultimately settled, they were at 640k. So that's about 32/1. I suppose 32/1 could be considered a fraction. As for what they ultimately settled for, that amount is undisclosed.

Quote:
Yes and those awards were later drastically reduced. IIRC she only ended up with about 10 grand.
The last amount that was the result of litigation was 640k. The parties ultimately settled for an undisclosed amount.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
newt2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannot_Wait_4Disney View Post
She asked for a 20k settlement from McDonald's initially. Note that her medical bills plus lost work alone were 18k. So she was offering to settle for just $2k for pain and suffering and no punitive damages. McDonalds should have jumped on this and settled it. But when they stupidly refused, she got an attorney. As of the last court decision before they ultimately settled, they were at 640k. So that's about 32/1. I suppose 32/1 could be considered a fraction. As for what they ultimately settled for, that amount is undisclosed.

The last amount that was the result of litigation was 640k. The parties ultimately settled for an undisclosed amount.
I think we already covered all that but thanks.

Edit: It appears my memory of the case was a bit rusty.
newt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #38
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
Fair enough.

Regardless my point stands that this guy will probably get far less than what he's asking for.
That is true.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #39
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I'm not sure about the laws in that state, but isn't it that if you are arrested for Grand Theft that is doesn't come off of your record even if you are found not guilty and released? You still were arrested for GT.

I'd sue, too.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #40
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik86 View Post
Now if this said that an error gave him the car for 3000 instead of 30,000 ok. No reasonable person would think the car should be that cheap.
Sorry, I disagree. Even IF the guy got the car for $3K, the dealership agreed to the deal.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #41
3 MEN AND A BOAT
DIS Veteran

It's not that hard to have someone arrested, nowhere near as hard as it should be anyway.

A sworn statement is all it took for my crackhead cousin and her boyfriend to have my father and my sister-in-law arrested. A Sherriff shows up at our business asking to talk to them and basically informs them their has been a warrant sworn out for their arrest
3 MEN AND A BOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #42
Tuffcookie
Enjoys an early hour of peace
Women like the simple things in life...like men!:D
Is a smart cookie

I work on the civilian side of law enforcement. I have seen instances where the alleged victim (in this case, the car dealership) does not file a police report but goes directly to the county prosecutor's office. In a case like this, it would be the prosecutor's office filing the charges.

TC
Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #43
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
I'm not sure about the laws in that state, but isn't it that if you are arrested for Grand Theft that is doesn't come off of your record even if you are found not guilty and released? You still were arrested for GT.

I'd sue, too.
I would too. As a Registered Nurse he has to think about his license. If charged with a felony that would be grounds to lose his license.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #44
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
That is ridiculous and you know people had to get fired for that! I don't blame the guy for filing a suit though the amount seems unrealistic. If it went really as the story shows, those employees were way out of line.

I thought the story was going to be he got it for $3,000 instead of $33,000 or some typo like that. I don't understand what the police even arrested him for - did they ask the dealership why he was accused of theft before they arrested him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
That shouldn't matter. The police should have investigated the claim by the dealer fully before arresting the man. Anyone can accuse anyone of doing anything. Before an arrest is made those accusations should be fully investigated.
My guess (and remember, it's only a guess) is that the car had yet to be titled in the buyer's name. A signed contract and proof of payment isn't sufficient; if the title has not been reissued and the car re-registered, the individual/company on the title can still press charges that the car was stolen, and the police then make the arrest.

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #45
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinatark View Post
Playing devil's advocate... I think the buyer knew the car he bought was more expensive - and he got an awesome deal because the dealership screwed up. Just my opinion - when you do your research for buying a new car, you have an idea of how much the models with different options/packages cost. Almost $6k is a lot of $$$, especially on a car with a beginning price like the Traverse, I would guess he went from a base model to a fully loaded one.

He might have known it was an awesome deal, doesn't mean he had any intent to be dishonest. Several DIS'ers ordered boots from Kohls a week or so ago for less than $10, regular price $125. Doesn't mean we should have any reason to think there was anything wrong with the sale. This guy doesn't run a car dealership, he has no idea if $6,000 savings on a $39,000 car is a clearance sale.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: