Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
EMAW_KSU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
That is ridiculous and you know people had to get fired for that! I don't blame the guy for filing a suit though the amount seems unrealistic. If it went really as the story shows, those employees were way out of line.

I thought the story was going to be he got it for $3,000 instead of $33,000 or some typo like that. I don't understand what the police even arrested him for - did they ask the dealership why he was accused of theft before they arrested him?
Me either.

What evidence did the police have to arrest him?
EMAW_KSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
rigs32
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt2
When it comes the amount of the suit, you always aim for the sky. Doesn't mean he'll get it though.

Most people don't remember that the coffee lady at McDonald's only ended up getting a fraction of what her suit was for, they only remember the 1 million initially in the news.
She only asked for her medical expenses. The JURY chose to award her McDs profits for two days of coffee sales
rigs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
newt2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigs32 View Post
She only asked for her medical expenses. The JURY chose to award her McDs profits for two days of coffee sales
Yes and those awards were later drastically reduced. IIRC she only ended up with about 10 grand.
newt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Now if this said that an error gave him the car for 3000 instead of 30,000 ok. No reasonable person would think the car should be that cheap.

But the guy had no reason to think at the time he signed the contract that the price was wrong I think this is all justified. There was no customer scam here. Just employees that didn't bother checking the price when doing a trade.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

I absolutely side with the plaintiff here, but what's with the cops in all this? They seriously came and arrested him? Seems like the commanding officer should have laughed it off or at least investigated the plaintiff's side of the story more closely. Ridiculous. I'd be filing a complaint against the police (not suing, just registering my displeasure.)
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #21
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

I think fair justice would be for the dealership to return any monies he paid for the vehicle (with the plantiff keeping the vehicle) and maybe another $50,000 on top of that.

Idiots
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Makes you wonder if someone in the police department as a relative who is a car salesman?

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
tinatark
DIS Veteran

Playing devil's advocate... I think the buyer knew the car he bought was more expensive - and he got an awesome deal because the dealership screwed up. Just my opinion - when you do your research for buying a new car, you have an idea of how much the models with different options/packages cost. Almost $6k is a lot of $$$, especially on a car with a beginning price like the Traverse, I would guess he went from a base model to a fully loaded one.

That said, once the dealership closed the deal, it was finished. My guess is that several people could have potentially lost their jobs over the transaction - probably business office/sales manager types.

I can't imagine the police just arrested him upon the direction of the dealership people - this was clearly a civil action, not a theft issue. You have to wonder about the relationship between them and the dealership, esp. considering that one came to the guys homes in plain clothes.

$2.2 m - I don't agree - but the settlement they come to will be in the low 6 figures, I would guess.
tinatark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
ICF
DIS Veteran

Can't believe a cop arrested and booked the guy for this!!

I also figure he got the car for 3K -- $33K for a $39K car isnt even close to "stealing" the car.

While $2.2M might be high to ask for, he was arrested...spent 4 hours in jail and I'm sure did endure a fair amount of stress given the calls/letters and such -- not to mention bad press as well.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
mikehn
DIS Veteran

If the reverse happened, do you think the dealership would issue the customer a refund out of the goodness of their heart? I have zero sympathy for car dealers. A 2 million lawsuit is completely justified. Im certain the dealership has ripped consumers off by much more than 2 million. Just think of how many times they ripped you off every time you go in for service. No sympathy, none.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #26
rigs32
DIS Veteran

Many if you are assuming the dealership truthfully explained the circumstances to the police.
rigs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #27
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Many if you are assuming the dealership truthfully explained the circumstances to the police.
You make a good point. If I'm going to trust the judgement of the police vs. the honesty of the dealership, I'm going with the cops 100 times out of 100. I don't doubt for a second the sales manager called in a stolen car and left much of the detail out of the explanation.
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

I would think not only a civil suit but also a criminal suit for filing a false claim. Im sure the dealership called the cops saying this "Guy" stole their car an provided documentation but not all of it...
Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #29
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugh O. Grams View Post
You make a good point. If I'm going to trust the judgement of the police vs. the honesty of the dealership, I'm going with the cops 100 times out of 100. I don't doubt for a second the sales manager called in a stolen car and left much of the detail out of the explanation.
Wonder if anyone at the dealership will get in trouble with the police for making a false accusation?

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #30
EMAW_KSU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No. Assuming that the police would investigate the claims by the dealership prior to arresting someone.
EMAW_KSU is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: