Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Serenlas
Mouseketeer

Nov/Dec trip - what to wear!

As Winter approaches I'm getting a bit nervous about the cold when we're atr DLP So far all I've bought is a long sleeved thermal vest each for the girls from the M&S sale! What would you take to wear to the parks? I was thinking of the following for the girls:

Coats, hats, gloves, scarves
Jumper or knitted dress
Long sleeved thermal top or top & vest under jumper
Tights with trousers or leggings over the top
Thermal socks
Snow boots

And then I'll pack similar for myself. I have NO idea if this is going to be insufficient or overkill so I thought I'd ask the experts I don't want us to be roasting hot when we're in the restaurants but it might take us a couple of hours in the warmth to defrost!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Mum to Belle
Thinks she may know someone who has a planner

That's pretty much what I packed last year!

We found that a regular hot chocolate was essential

I took hand warmers but didn't need them. Actually, one day was so warm we weren't even wearing coats, but I think that was most unusual!!

I did buy some Santa Mickey hats from the Disney Store before we went - they were fab!!
Mum to Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
DLPDreams
I am like a child in a sweet shop, all hyper on sugar

I would make sure that the hats cover their ears or buy ear muffs as well.

I am taking ski/snow trousers for both of my girls (and hoping we won't need them). We are flying AF so have a reasonable luggage allowance this time so I'm not worried if they don't wear them. I have bought thermal leggings (as well as long sleeved vests) to go under their jeans/trousers instead of tights.

You have mentioned thermal socks which seem like a must as feet get cold easily. I bought some which were called 'heat huggers' and have a tog rating .

I think layers are key as it's a pain stripping off inside buildings if you have too much bulk.

Another addition if you have a child in a pushchair is some kind of blanket for their legs - I haven't sorted this one yet - my DD2 is way too long for our old buggysnuggles...!?

Hopefully we won't need half of this if the weather is kind, but better to be prepared!

DLPDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
Tink'sMum
Mouseketeer

Just be prepared for rain too. You should be ok with the snow boots. Are their winter coats waterproof? We saw lots of people with ponchos on over their coats as they weren't waterproof.
Tink'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
Hipster Meg
Mouseketeer

The list's fairly similar to the one I had for last year (apart from the dresses, I have yet to persaude our son that he'd look lovely in one!) If you've got a Matalan near you they've got some lovely Disney hat/glove/scarf sets and I've found Primark to be awesome for thermals.

http://roadtowdw.blogspot.co.uk/ My blog about planning our Disney trip (and other random stuff)
Hipster Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Serenlas
Mouseketeer

Thanks all I'll definitely try Primark for our thermals, I've never needed them in my 32 years of life and can't imagine they'll get a lot of wear after our trip! I believe the coats are waterproof but not sure mine is. Good excuse to upgrade it
Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
wmoon
Mouseketeer

Thermal long johns for the kids if wearing trousers. Asda had them last year. My son (4) had a trespass snow suit and he loved it.
Primark are great for adult thermals, I wore mine both December trips, they are cosy and primark has pretty ones.
I would take hat that covers ears for yourself as well, cosy gloves and thermal socks. I got myself thermal socks and a ski hat from tk maxx.

We were there 2 years ago when it was really freezing but it was still great and didn't really feel the cold with all the layers.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Tink'sMum
Mouseketeer

My kids wear the primark thermals as pyjamas. They're just cotton. So they got plenty of wear.
Tbh we didn't need thermals last Dec, it was just wet! Snowboots a must I'd say, that's the one thing I'd make sure everyone had.
Tink'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Tinkjon
hailing to the pumpkin sound

I definitely second thermal leggings instead of tights for children - much easier to pull up and down for toilet trips
Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
lush
Mouseketeer

You sound pretty set. My one absolutely 100% could not live without for Christmas time at Disney is extra warm socks and waterproof footwear. I often end up wearing two pairs of thermal socks just because my feet get so cold! Once my feet are cold the rest of me just won't warm up. I must have a look at those ones that have a tog rating!

Definitely layers and thermal underwear is a must.

June 1992 - Offsite DLP November 1996 - DLP Santa Fe November 1997 - DLP Santa Fe November 1998 - DLP Hotel Cheyenne November 1999 - DLP Newport Bay November 2000 - DLP Newport Bay November 2001 - DLP Newport Bay November 2002 - DLP Newport Bay November 2003 - DLP Newport Bay November 2004 - DLP Newport Bay July 2006 - WDW Magic Kingdom & Animal Kingdom November 2008 - DLP Sequoia Lodge November 2012 - DLP Hotel New York March 2013 - DLP Hotel Cheyenne May 2015 - Windsor Hills Walt Disney World
lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Serenlas
Mouseketeer

OK, many pairs of thermal socks it is Those tog rating ones sound brilliant!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
DLPDreams
I am like a child in a sweet shop, all hyper on sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenlas View Post
OK, many pairs of thermal socks it is Those tog rating ones sound brilliant!
Here you go:

http://www.heatholders.com/uk/products/child.php

Not the cheapest about but I thought a tog rating of 2.3 sounded impressive (hope they are!)...

DLPDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
figaro2
Mouseketeer

Asda are selling thermals quite cheap at the moment, well mine is anyway!
Last time we went (nov 10') it was cold! Thermals were well used!
I'm planning on getting my oldest (3) thermals for under his clothes etc, the youngest (will be 6 months) I'm planning on long sleeved bodysuit/vest, sleep suit, snow suit and blankets and coseytoes in the pram! Hopefully he should be snug with that x
figaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
MrsSDW
Mouseketeer

Would regular Goretex winter boots be sufficient instead of snow boots? I'm trying to decide if I need to buy proper snow boots for my DD or just have her wear her ordinary winter boots. They're knee-length and waterproof with a good grippy sole.
MrsSDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Serenlas
Mouseketeer

Are you all buying a set of thermals per day per person? I think that's where the costs will rise!
I think Goretex would be fine personaly, as long as they're warm and definitely waterproof. I don't think my girls' Winter boots are, and wellies aren't warm enough, so it'll be cheap Ebay snow boots all round!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: