Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

My 6 year old is a night owl too. We definitely took late dining. If he gets hungry, we will order a snack or something. That way we don't have to rush back from Castaway Cay or anything to dress for dinner.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

Have done early dining on both cruises with DS 4 then 5. Worked really well as it never takes us more than about 15 mins to get ready (and we do change for dinner) and if DS was going to fall asleep I would rather he missed a show because of it than his dinner. We never felt rushed at dinner, were always in time for the show. We never considered sending DS to the clubs after dinner, he just came to the shows or activities with us. In fact on our first cruise he slept all the way through a very loud show sat on my lap. DS carried him back to our room, we put him to bed and he hardly stirred! A very busy full day makes for a very heavy sleeper!
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
The Maleficent One
Earning My Ears

DH and I chose late dining. It worked better for us especially since we didn't have to make the choice to rush back to the ship when going ashore.

But that being said, we don't have kids either so that helped with out decision. There were times when I was absolutely starving by the time our dinnner rolled around but a good snack would have fixed that. lol

2007- Honeymoon at All Star Sports!
2008- All Star Music w/ Free Dining!
2010- Pop Century w/ Free Dining!
2012- Alaska on the Disney Wonder!
Every week- Disneyland!
The Maleficent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Just a note--on Caribbean and Bahamas cruises, the concept of "rushing back to the ship" is not typically a big deal as most of the time the "all aboard" time is early enough to give you time to change for dinner.

In Europe and Alaska, this is a bigger deal.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
Just a note--on Caribbean and Bahamas cruises, the concept of "rushing back to the ship" is not typically a big deal as most of the time the "all aboard" time is early enough to give you time to change for dinner.

In Europe and Alaska, this is a bigger deal.
True. the European and Alaskan dinner schedules are usually held a bit later.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #21
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Any advice for a West Coast family going out of Miami? We usually eat dinner at about 6pm PST and bed for the kids at around 8:30pm. We picked early seating, but now i'm second guessing myself. That will be like eating at 3PM our time and they won't go to bed until 11:30 EST. Should I call to switch it or leave it as is?
It is a 4 day out of Miami, but we'll arrive in Miami the day before the cruise.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #22
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
Any advice for a West Coast family going out of Miami? We usually eat dinner at about 6pm PST and bed for the kids at around 8:30pm. We picked early seating, but now i'm second guessing myself. That will be like eating at 3PM our time and they won't go to bed until 11:30 EST. Should I call to switch it or leave it as is?
It is a 4 day out of Miami, but we'll arrive in Miami the day before the cruise.
West coast family here. Early never would have worked for us, especially on only a 4 day cruise, your body will still be on west coast time. Through high school my kids were active in sports, so dinner at home rarely was before 630, and often was after sunset during Little League season (like 830 pm). So LATE seating was really like eating early for us......and my kids missed having a nightly midnight buffet on disney like other cruises had.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #23
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
I tried late dining for the first time on a Disney cruise and hated it. Give me "anytime dining" (on other cruise lines) or early dining.
Let's hope Disney never ever ever does that. Freestyle is a mess.

Okay, went on HAL in June, you had a choice of early or late or anytime, that was okay. Anytime only on NCL. MESS. Long wait, rushed meal.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #24
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by believinthemagic
We haven't done late dining before (this is our 2nd cruise) but we will be doing it for the first time in Jan. The kids in our group range from 5 to 13. We ended up with late dining because early dining was full, but I think we are actually going to like it better.

Our kids are night owls so shouldn't be a problem, and I think our only plan will be to make sure they have a healthy snack late afternoon/early evening. I think as long as they aren't starving, the staying up won't be a problem.
What cruise are you on in Jan? We are also on a cruise in Jan and early dinning was full. We are on dream jan 20th
Brittmarie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #25
jpz2000
Earning My Ears

It depends where you live and what cruise you are taking see if you where taking a carribiean cruise and you live in the moutain time zone you would want dinner same gose for pacific time zones and some times centeral.
jpz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

We enjoy having a later dining time. It gives us the freedom of not having to rush during the day.

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #27
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

Another perk of late dining for littler ones, in my opinion, is I prefer them to be wide awake during the shows- as they really are more enjoyable for them than dinner. If the fall asleep at the end of dinner, they aren't really missing anything.

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #28
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Let's hope Disney never ever ever does that. Freestyle is a mess.

Okay, went on HAL in June, you had a choice of early or late or anytime, that was okay. Anytime only on NCL. MESS. Long wait, rushed meal.
I haven't sailed on NCL, but have had anytime dining on Princess, HAL, RCI, and Celebrity. I love it.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #29
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittmarie04

What cruise are you on in Jan? We are also on a cruise in Jan and early dinning was full. We are on dream jan 20th
We are on the fantasy Jan 19th .
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

When I travel, I try to adjust to a new time zone as quickly as possible. I think the time you eat dinner at home is more important than the time difference between home and the Caribbean. I don't eat dinner at midnight or 1 a.m. when I'm in Europe - just because it's 6 p.m. at my house!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: