Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
mommymanda
Mouseketeer

Best times to book meals with DDP

Last time we went to WDW it was nearly 6 years ago. We had a dining plan, but it was different than whats offered now (we got 2 quick service, one sit down, and 2 snacks/person/day). So we got up in the morning, had breakfast at the hotel, grabbed a quick service lunch around one, and dinner at 6 or 7pm. Snacks was usually a treat at the parks, and another before bed.

So I think this time getting the DDP is our best option, gives us enough food and fits into the budget. That gives us technically two meals only though, as opposed to the three we had last time.

I admit we had more than enough food and ended up bringing a ton of 'snacks' home. Yet with the new plan how do I spread out the meals so we are paying as little OOP as possible, without hungry whining kids?
mommymanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

I booked a TS meal every evening because my family likes to have a sit down relaxed dinner. Normally at home we do not all have a big breakfast but my DH does like to eat three meals when we are vacationing so we sometimes would split a CS breakfast and then split a CS lunch. It was plenty for us and DH is a big guy.

I would suggest that you look at some of the snacks as supplements to the meal. I have not been in a few years but i remember having a yogurt parfait for breakfast and that was a snack credit. Plenty for me and mirrored how I eat at home. You will not be taking your snacks home but for my family it was a good thing to use them.
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There has never been a dining plan that offered 1 TS, 2 CS and 2 snacks per night. Not sure what plan you were on. The deluxe is 3 meal credits a night and 2 snacks, but they are not designated TS or CS as they can be used for either. Between 2005 and 2007 there was only one dining plan, 1 TS, 1 CS and 1 snack per night.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymanda View Post
So we got up in the morning, had breakfast at the hotel, grabbed a quick service lunch around one, and dinner at 6 or 7pm. Snacks was usually a treat at the parks, and another before bed.
In terms of economics, the best use of the TS credit is usually for dinner. If it were me, I'd probably plan on a QS meal around noon and then a TS dinner around 7 pm. As a PP suggested, you can use the snack credit to supplement breakfast or as a mid-day snack. You'll probably have to pay OOP for at least one meal (if you're used to eating three meals per day). In that case, breakfast is almost always the cheapest (especially if you don't do character meals).
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
FencerGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
You'll probably have to pay OOP for at least one meal (if you're used to eating three meals per day). In that case, breakfast is almost always the cheapest (especially if you don't do character meals).
I'll second that. Depending on where you're staying, your resorts restaurant might have a big breakfast that the kids can split. My husband, 3 yo, and myself split AKL's Bounty Platter each morning usually supplemented with some fruit as a snack credit.
FencerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
stitchlover
DIS Veteran

Here is another option if you don't need a full meal for breakfast. Bring items from home. My husband eats oatmeal bars from home. I throw a couple of boxes of those int he suitcase and that saves money out of pocket for breakfast. You can use your drink refill mug for your breakfast beverage and use your snack credit to supplement the oatmeal bar with fruit or yogurt if you would like. But we aren't big breakfast people so that might not work for you.
ASMo 2006, POFQ 2007, WL 2008, Disneyland Paradise Pier 2008, Polynesian 2009, AKL 2010, Grand Floridian 2011, DIS ABD Backstage Magic 2/11, Wilderness Lodge 2011, Beach Club 2012, DCL 2012, AKL Kidani Village 2013, ASSports 2013, Disneyland 2013, Boardwalk & Saratoga Springs 2013

[/url]
stitchlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

I'm confused, too. We had the ddp 6 years ago and it was 1TS, 1CS, 1 snack. Not sure if they had a deluxe plan? Did you have that? Maybe you paid oop and don't remember doing so.
We usually split some cs meals and pay for a few cs oop. We also keep some snacks in the room.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
mommymanda
Mouseketeer

You guys must be right, I asked DH and he said he's pretty sure we paid for breakfast OOP...I just can't recall spending it lol...I remember we brought $500cash and returned with $350, buying DD some stuffed toys...so I must have balanced things out somehow.
mommymanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

From a monetary standpoint, for the majority of restaurants, the best use is going to be for dinner. There are a few restaurants that share the same menu for lunch and dinner (The Plaza (not a good use in general), Via Napoli (not a good use for pizza), Mama Melrose, and 50s Prime Time, along with several others), so for those it's not going to matter. You will want to aim for the upper half of the restaurants on the pricing scale as well, since the margin is so much tighter than it used to be, it's a bit tougher to make sure you'll come out ahead.

Breakfasts should nearly always be from home, snacks, or OOP. The exception comes with kids at character breakfasts, where the cost of the breakfast is typically higher than the nightly cost of the plan. The same doesn't necessarily hold true for adults though, so you'll want to watch out for that.

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: