Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
mykidsrock76
Mouseketeer

What makes CL worth the cost?

I am in the beginning phase of planning our 2013 trip. My question comes to CL or not. Pardon my ignorance, but what makes CL worth the extra cost?

2001- All Star Music
Jan 2007- POP Century
Dec 2007- Cruise to Caribbean
Dec 2008- Another Cruise
Nov 2009- Port Orleans Riverside
Sep 2012- Polynesian (our first deluxe!!! )
Sep 2013- Wilderness Lodge

Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsrock76 View Post
I am in the beginning phase of planning our 2013 trip. My question comes to CL or not. Pardon my ignorance, but what makes CL worth the extra cost?
It's been said before, and I'll say it again. "Worth it is very subjective"

We splurged for CL (at WL) for our most recent trip in July. It was really fantastic! The personalized service was great. They really catered to our girls (on things we didn't even ask for). The food was great. We enjoyed getting out of bed, getting dressed and taking a quick walk down the hall to the lounge for breakfast. No lines, no wait, no money (of course that was already spent )

We used IPO a little before our last trip, but it was really nice when I had a question to be able to call and have a person pick up and not deal with Disney's automated system.

We liked the secured access floor! Probably not a necessity, but it felt better.

Anyway, we had CL at 40% off, which made it worth it to us (we were only paying $250/$273 per night). So, we are doing it again for our April trip because we enjoyed it! Again, we have 40% off though.

I would never pay full price (for any Disney Deluxe, CL or Not). But at a good discount, yeah, we found it to be worth it!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
mykidsrock76
Mouseketeer

Those are def all pluses and things to consider. We would prob book hoping for FD since that's a better savings for us. But I'd be happy with a RO discount too. Thanks!

2001- All Star Music
Jan 2007- POP Century
Dec 2007- Cruise to Caribbean
Dec 2008- Another Cruise
Nov 2009- Port Orleans Riverside
Sep 2012- Polynesian (our first deluxe!!! )
Sep 2013- Wilderness Lodge

Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on what you are looking for. We booked CL when we stayed at AKL. There was a diverse group of us traveling together, it was our first trip in many many years and we were planning special meals for our DGD's first visit.

The IPO was fabulous at ensuring that we got the ADR's we wanted and they assisted with tickets for tours when we had last minute guests join us.

The lounge was a wonderful place for us to meet and the offerings there made it a little like home. Worth the cost to us.

We booked CL again this next trip. It is during the Thanksgiving Holiday and we are using the resort as part of our vacation.

I think that I am saying that if you want to use the resort or the IPO for assistance it is a value. If you think that the cost is worth it to minimize your food budget I would skip it.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I agree with the pp that it depends on what you're looking for in your vacation. We have stayed CL at the WL and GF (both SL & RPC) and for us, CL is worth it not only for the snacks and drinks throughout the day, but for the lounge. We spend alot of time at the resort and love having the lounge to relax in instead of sitting in the room or somewhere around the resort. Also, the CL CMs at the WL and GF RPC were amazing and couldn't have been better . I can't comment on IPO as we've never used them as I always make our ADRs and have never had any problems/questions that needed contact with them. If CL is within your budget, I'd definitely consider it as worth is different for everyone and you'll never know if it's "worth it" to you unless you try it for yourself. With that said, we are trying YC CL and Poly CL next summer and can't wait.....I'm curious as to how those CLs compare to the WL and GF. Good luck .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

The lounge was a nice place for me to go in the early morning. I am awake much earlier than the rest of my family so I would go to the lounge. get a cup of coffee and snuggle up in a chair with my book. It was a good place to go while the rest of the family was getting ready for dinner. Some if us would go for a glass of wine and chat and relax. There was no pressure for the rest of the group to hurry because we were all relaxing and out of each other's way.

For us it was like a central meeting place. For folks who are all parks all day, I believe it would not be worth the additional cost.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

For our family of 5, we feel that we get a lot of benefits CL. For example, at the Polynesian. We had stayed non-CL several times first. Then we stayed CL. The Polynesian was great non-CL. But staying in the CL building made the resort even better to us. Did not think it was possible. For one, it was great having a designated Keyed Access Club Level Building in a great location on the resort property. I did not need to request a building. I knew where I would be staying. It was great not being confined to your resort hotel room. The lounge was huge so you could wander and sit elsewhere when you were in your building. There were wonderful food offerings and beverages to snack throughout the day close to your room. These are just some of the contrasts between CL and non-CL that we enjoy. HTH.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Sparrow624
"I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

It honestly depends on the type of person you are and what you are looking for. We have stayed CL twice and non-CL twice.

My DW "LOVES" CL and thinks it is great. The constant snacks, breakfast, adult beverages provided at night, and treatment are great.

I on the other hand, am fine without it. I constantly think of all of the other things we could have done with the extra $1,000 on average and am very willing to wake up and bring DW breakfast and bring my own night time adult beverages.

To each their own, so, we try to do CL every other trip as a compromise I guess.

2003 - Off Site - 2 nights 3 days
2006 - Grand Floridian 8 nights 9 days (Honeymoon)
2009 - Boardwalk - 3 nights 4 days
2011 - Grand Floridian - 7 nights 8 days (5 year Anniversary)

Last edited by Sparrow624; 10-05-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsrock76 View Post
Those are def all pluses and things to consider. We would prob book hoping for FD since that's a better savings for us. But I'd be happy with a RO discount too. Thanks!
I had to check your math on this statement because I have 3 kids and have stayed in CL before using RO discounts. The numbers for free dining just didn't add up for us and my kids were all Disney adults when we stayed. I'm just basing this off of the ages of your children in your signature.

Free dining in 2013 is worth about $127/night to you (3 "adults" and 1 child). You would pay the rack rate for your room.

A 30%-40% discount at the Poly CL would be around $169-$424 per night, depending on the view and the time of year.

So, what I'm saying is that you might be better of with a RO discount rather than free dining if both are available for your stay. And of course, this assumes that the CL rooms at any resort would be participating in the promotions.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
what makes CL worth the extra cost?
If this is the question, the answer is almost always "it isn't." For most people, if you just added up the food/snacks/drinks and paid for them as you went, you'd probably come out ahead.

What make CL is a slightly higher level of service compared to a "regular" room. The people who enjoy CL the most are the folks who enjoy and value that increased service.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
Dorisk3
DIS Veteran

This is going to sound a little tacky, but to make it financially worth it, you're going to have to eat and drink alot. Don't buy the dining plan and eat "dinner" there, there will plenty to fill you up particuarly if you like appetizer type food. Of course, eat breakfast there. Don't buy any snacks in the parks, every time you go back to the room, bring snacks from the lounge in. If you are an alcohol drinker, go to town!

Really, you won't get your money back from what you spend. But I will say on a trip where we had the forty percent off pin code, we lived off a $600 gift card for the week, eating at one TS and one CS a day, sharing meals when we could. Yes, we did eat dinner 2 or 3 times at the lounge and didn't buy any snacks.

That said, this year we did free dining at a moderate, because I didn't like being so frugal to make up for what we paid for club level and I missed our snacks in the parks. Lounge food gets very very repetative after a while. We of course could have bought snacks, but the cheap part of me and my DH kept saying, well, we could have whatever we want in the lounge and we already paid for that.

Club level is more like a perk that makes you feel special. You know, special check in, special drinks and snacks that only certain guests get. You can maybe make up thirty to fifty a day, but figure you wouldn't be buying all the liquor or snacks anyway. It's just a fun thing to do if you have the money or lucky enough to be upgraded.

Our family
Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

I think the real question is ; does the level of *** kissing measure up. I'm not sure what else CL is for? A few extra snacks????
Sorry I find Cl level obnoxious, not the people who stay in it, just the idea.
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse

Last edited by CanadianGuy; 10-05-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
TJA
DIS Veteran

CL is more about the convenience and luxury than it is a "money-saver." We've stayed CL in 3 different resorts and loved all 3 experiences. At BC and CR, we had our own dedicated floor and lounge. At Poly, we had our own building. The views from the lounges at CR and Poly are amazing. You get drinks ranging from juice and water to alcoholic beverages whenever you want them. And we like the breakfast each morning (oatmeal, cereal, danish, bagels, etc.), and we also enjoy the hot appetizers at night. Desserts and decaf coffee later on.

CL is really all about how your family likes to vacation -- if you enjoy some resort time and adult beverages, then CL is a great choice. If your family prefers to be at parks all day/night, then CL may not be a great choice as you wouldn't be utilizing it to its full potential.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
lindsroc
DIS Veteran

If you stay CL, at the Poly for example, and have family that is staying non-CL...can they go into the lounge with you to watch the fireworks etc?

1st Disney trip Oct 29 2007 - Saratoga Springs ... Trip #2, April/May 2009 - Coronado Springs Resort
Trip #3, May 2010 - Offsite ... Trip #4, May 2011 -Polynesian
Trip #5, October 2013 - Boardwalk Inn
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
I think the real question is ; does the level of *** kissing measure up. I'm not sure what else CL is for? A few extra snacks????
Sorry I find Cl level obnoxious, not the people who stay in it, just the idea.
I can sum it up for you. My family prefers to be independent. We don't need or want any "*** kissing". Personally, I have not experienced that with any IPO or CM associated with CL. They offer assistance (some more than others). Some I have encountered have actually been rude. For the most part, they will give help when asked. Otherwise, they will leave you alone. If you have the extra money, club level works out great. It is nice to have some members of the family in the lounge reading, watching TV and snacking while others are in the room showering or napping. Even if you spend a lot of time in the parks, there is still time in the room. CL gives my family extra space to unwind so everyone is not in one room sitting on the beds or in a public area far from the room and the family.

Last edited by CanadianGuy; 10-05-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: