Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #16
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade... but doesn't taking the bus from the airport and then renting a car when you get to WDW kind of defeat the purpose (or at least half the purpose) of renting a car in the first place?

I guess I understand if you really like taking DME... But then wouldn't you also really like taking Disney transportation during your stay?
If you take DME, you don't have to schlep your own luggage through the airport, or wait for it at the carousel.

When taking DME, you get a nice comfy seat and let the bus driver deal with the nasty Orlando traffic, multiple exits, and crossing turnpikes. (Not to mention the road construction they were doing in August!)

OTOH, onsite buses can be extremely crowded, hot, smelly, and time consuming.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
Mary*Poppins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
If you take DME, you don't have to schlep your own luggage through the airport, or wait for it at the carousel.

When taking DME, you get a nice comfy seat and let the bus driver deal with the nasty Orlando traffic, multiple exits, and crossing turnpikes. (Not to mention the road construction they were doing in August!)

I just came back from a trip to disney last week and we rented a car, there was no road construction, traffic (we arrived at 9 am also), crossing turnpikes, or anything difficult about the ride to disney.

Mary*Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

We are considering renting from onsite mainly due to the fact that there are 5 of us, and I don't think all of us with all of our luggage will fit in a standard vehicle, and the other larger vehicle options are pricey.

I guess one of us could always get the rental and drive while the others and the luggage go on ME. I'll be keeping an eye out closer to the date to figure out our best option. We are going late Jan, so I'm sure there will be some deals to be had.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
gwb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck

I totally agree We use DME then rent at WDW. It's much more convienent to let DME handle the luggage and let someone else drive from MCO to the resort. Also agree about the Disney buses. All it took was 1 small ride on te bus instead of using our rental car , with the screaming kids, impatient parents and the wait to get me back to the rental car.
gwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #20
jvptravels
Mouseketeer

I used Alamo in August from MCO. I got a great deal on an 8-day rental. The pick-up is just outside of the terminal, and return took about 2 minutes. Driving to Disney is a breeze, and worth $3 in toll each way.

The best thing about renting a car is that you can come and go as you please, without being dependant on busses. One day I took a Disney bus from Epcot to Hollywood Studios. The long walk from Spaceship Earth to the bus stop, the wait and ride, followed by the walk to the entrance to Hollywood Studios took about an hour. On another day I did the same trip with my car in about twenty minutes.

In planning my trip, I got a better rental car rate at the airport than what was available at WDW. The hours were more convenient too. And besides. Who wants to pause their vacation to pick-up a rental car. If you have a large group, I think splitting up the group with DME is a good idea. You will probably get to your resort faster with the rental car, and can check in to your room before the others arrive on the bus.
jvptravels is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: