Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
onecoolpilot
Mouseketeer

Renting a car/Shuttle from Budget to port

I've searched, and while there's a lot of talk about Budget near the port, I can't seem to find anything that's recent.

We will be arriving in Orlando on Thursday, sailing on Saturday. I'm renting a car to use while we are there, and I had planned to drop the family off at the terminal, return the car to the Budget office, and then catch the Budget shuttle back.

I've read some posts from people who spent a long time in line to return the car, long time waiting on the shuttle to pick them up at the office, etc... We have an arrival time of 11am, and I would like to have myself back to the terminal as close to that as possible. (yes, I'm aware that I'm getting there early just so I can sit around and wait)

Has anyone used them recently?

At what time can I drop the family off at the terminal? Last time we cruised, they were still opening at 10:30 and not enforcing any arrival times, so I'm not sure how that will work.

Would it be quicker to wait for the Budget shuttle, or get a taxi or something. Looking at the google maps, it seems too far to walk (maybe if I drop the car off at 7, I can walk there by 11 )

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.

onecoolpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
clten
DIS Veteran

We never had a long wait for the Budget shuttle but then again we were never there at peak times. The one thing I would not recommend is walking. Distance-wise it is not very far but the road is very congested and we've had some close calls that have made me nervous and we had several thousand pounds of car around us. To walk you have to cross a bridge that doesn't have a sidewalk.

Dropping of the family/luggage first is a great idea as you will be able to get on a shuttle that someone with luggage/many people won't.

When we were last in Port Canaveral on our cruise from NYC, we were talking to the Hertz lady. She said that the rental car shuttles are having more problems with the port since they have expanded. People think it is the rental places fault that they are slower than they were in the past. But I think she said that the port changed some rules (I know they changed the way they have to loop through the terminals at the port) and that has really been a big delay for them.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
smile750
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecoolpilot View Post
I've searched, and while there's a lot of talk about Budget near the port, I can't seem to find anything that's recent.

We will be arriving in Orlando on Thursday, sailing on Saturday. I'm renting a car to use while we are there, and I had planned to drop the family off at the terminal, return the car to the Budget office, and then catch the Budget shuttle back.

I've read some posts from people who spent a long time in line to return the car, long time waiting on the shuttle to pick them up at the office, etc... We have an arrival time of 11am, and I would like to have myself back to the terminal as close to that as possible. (yes, I'm aware that I'm getting there early just so I can sit around and wait)

Has anyone used them recently?

At what time can I drop the family off at the terminal? Last time we cruised, they were still opening at 10:30 and not enforcing any arrival times, so I'm not sure how that will work.

Would it be quicker to wait for the Budget shuttle, or get a taxi or something. Looking at the google maps, it seems too far to walk (maybe if I drop the car off at 7, I can walk there by 11 )

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.
I used them at the end of August for both one way rentals - did one way drop off from MCO (we came in the day before and used the car) and also picked up for one way back to MCO.

There was a problem with taking the shuttle back to the port after dropping off my family - there was a backup due to the delay of passengers getting off one of the other ships and it delaying the shuttles at the port coming back to the rental place. Anyway, I did drop off my family at 11:00 and brought the car back. No problem to return rental (line is for picking up cars around 11:00) - return line is separate (it's not like an airport location that has the guy check the car back in on line). The easy way around it is to schedule a taxi to pick you up across the street (I don't think they allow taxis in the lot) at the Wendy's. Do this AHEAD of time because they are all booked. But honestly, if you don't have luggage (because you dropped it with the family), you can get on the line to take the shuttle which will look long, but if you don't have luggage, you will fast track it on because they can take more people than luggage - it just doesn't fit in the 12 passenger vans - they fill up with luggage after they get about 8 persons luggage on the shuttle. They have both vans like that and the larger shuttles. I was able to get on after about 25 minutes with a HUGE line on that day (that they said was NOT typical). By the way, no problem getting back - because Disney allows you to disembark so early - all of the other ships in port start disembarking later. I was only 1 of 3 on the return shuttle to get the car.

Jen
smile750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
mom2aredhead
DIS Veteran

Yup..just pay for a taxi. The shuttles are small, slow, and crowded. Completely inadequate. The taxi was not expensive and saved us at least 45 minutes each way.

"Nobody on his deathbed ever said, "I wish I had spent more time at the office." - Paul Tsongas
mom2aredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
onecoolpilot
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like a taxi for me, i am not a line person, not one bit.

I found these guys http://www.cocoabeachtaxiservice.com/port_canaveral.htm

Emailed a couple of times, he says just call when you're ready and pay whatever you want. I asked about the notice on his site that says you have to schedule in advance for the post cruise pickup, but he said to just call before you get off, and they'll come in to get me.

Who did you guys use, and if it's not too intrusive, how much did it cost?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Our last Budget shuttle was my favorite. We pulled in with the car; I had decided not to do the drop off at the port, but rather to keep us together. By the time I came out from returning the car, the driver had already loaded our bags onto the shuttle and they were waiting for ME. It is not unusual to have to wait after your cruise, but Budget does run 2 shuttles on cruise days to keep the wait as short as possible. Again, you can always hop on the shuttle (there is almost always space for one person, no luggage), get the car, and go back to get the family...or coordinate by cell phone--they will probably be on their way over by the time you get the car.

If you plan to rent at MCO, sign up for Fastbreak. It is free and will save you a LONG line and about an hour or more!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
onecoolpilot
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
Our last Budget shuttle was my favorite. We pulled in with the car; I had decided not to do the drop off at the port, but rather to keep us together. By the time I came out from returning the car, the driver had already loaded our bags onto the shuttle and they were waiting for ME. It is not unusual to have to wait after your cruise, but Budget does run 2 shuttles on cruise days to keep the wait as short as possible. Again, you can always hop on the shuttle (there is almost always space for one person, no luggage), get the car, and go back to get the family...or coordinate by cell phone--they will probably be on their way over by the time you get the car.

If you plan to rent at MCO, sign up for Fastbreak. It is free and will save you a LONG line and about an hour or more!
My google-fu is failing me right now. I assume that Fastbreak is quicker because they just charge the card on file, is that correct?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
onecoolpilot
Mouseketeer

Car rentals were not any problem at all.

There was a delay at MCO getting the car, but that was partly my fault for not following the signs correctly. I ended up at the fastbreak counter in the garage and had to go back into the terminal. Should have followed the suggestion here to sign up for that.

Return at cape canaveral was painless. Took about 10 min for that, about 10:30am on 10/20/12. I took a private taxi back to the port.

After the cruise, we opted for the budget shuttle. The first one filled up quickly, so we had to wait for the next, which didn't take long at all. I'd say we spent about 30 min in line total.

Pick up at cape canaveral was simple. 2 nice ladies running the desk, maybe 5 people ahead of me, about 15 min in line there and we were good to go.

Return at MCO was little slow. You drive into the garage, and follow a long route to the return lanes. There are 4 or so lanes and they have a person working each one. The lanes around mine were being cleared quickly and cars were disappearing fast. My line however, had the slowest person ever. After 20 min of no movement, my wife found someone and dragged them over to clear our car.

They said if you don't need a recept, you can just leave the keys and go, but we needed the receipt.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
TARIE7291
TARIE7291

Budget rental is awesome. We have been using them for 7 years at PC. I was on the 10/20 Fantasy and used them. They were quick and efficient at drop off and renting. I didn't have to wait long for a shuttle, either way. They are very organized. I would highly recommend using them.
TARIE7291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
schoen
DIS Veteran

We just rented with them too. Pick up at MCO was seamless.
Drop-Off at the Port was pretty fast
We got a taxi from the port back to budget because we would have been on the second or third shuttle.
renting the next car at the port was a little tough, the women seemed frazzled, and there were angry guests in front of me, but it was fast enough.
Drop-off at MCO was totally fine
schoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecoolpilot View Post
My google-fu is failing me right now. I assume that Fastbreak is quicker because they just charge the card on file, is that correct?
Fastbreak is quicker because you totally bypass one line at MCO (and I once waited in that line for 90 minutes!). You go directly to the garage and the paperwork is signed and charged there.

The only time I've had an issue with Budget's shuttle is after the cruise when there can be a line of people waiting. Normally, Budget operates 2 shuttles on cruise days, which certainly makes the flow go more smoothly. And if you have sufficient adults, you can usually get the driver onto the first shuttle (they can almost always fit one adult, no luggage), have him/her get the car and return to the terminal area to pick up the gang if they have not yet gotten on the next shuttle to the terminal. Obviously cell phones to coordinate this would be helpful--get car, call people at port to confirm whether they are still at port or on a shuttle en route to Budget place.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
wendym
I work to go to Disney!

We had a great experience too for the 20th Oct Fantasy. Had picked up a car the week before at MCO (flight arrived after midnight so couldn't use FastBreak), pulled up into the handicap spot outside Budget and before I could open the door the shuttle driver was pulling our luggage out! He took it to the van and once he could see the paperwork was clear he loaded it up - took about 10mins from pulling up to us leaving!
Wendy
wendym is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: