Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
captaindavidhook
Stay away from there

The flight I was looking at leaves Orlando at 10:35. Guessing that you have to be at the airport by two hours before your flight. I would have to leave the resort by 8 or a little before. I believe from Pop's to the airport would be what 30-40 minutes? Will Magical Express come that early to get me?
captaindavidhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #17
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

For a 10:35 flight plan on ME picking you up at about 7:30ish.
In my book that's early but doable. Much before that and I'd pay all kinds of extra so I didn't have to crawl out of bed so early.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindavidhook View Post
The flight I was looking at leaves Orlando at 10:35. Guessing that you have to be at the airport by two hours before your flight. I would have to leave the resort by 8 or a little before. I believe from Pop's to the airport would be what 30-40 minutes? Will Magical Express come that early to get me?
Disney's Magical Express (DME) will take you to the airport, no matter how early or late your flight is.

DME will schedule your pickup 3 hours before your departure, give or take up to 15 minutes. You should be at the pickup location 15 minutes before your pickup time. You may make another stop or two before the DME coach heads to the airport, where it stops at two locations. You'll still get to the airport early enough, although it might be less than 2 hours before departure.

If you plan to use Resort Airline Check-in (RAC), you need to allow enough time to COMPLETE the process at least 3 hours before departure AND early enough to be at the DME pickup location in time.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #19
captaindavidhook
Stay away from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
Disney's Magical Express (DME) will take you to the airport, no matter how early or late your flight is.

DME will schedule your pickup 3 hours before your departure, give or take up to 15 minutes. You should be at the pickup location 15 minutes before your pickup time. You may make another stop or two before the DME coach heads to the airport, where it stops at two locations. You'll still get to the airport early enough, although it might be less than 2 hours before departure.

If you plan to use Resort Airline Check-in (RAC), you need to allow enough time to COMPLETE the process at least 3 hours before departure AND early enough to be at the DME pickup location in time.

Thank you
captaindavidhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #20
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

Last non-stop for me on the way north.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #21
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran

First flight out, last flight in (direct flights).

SW changed their schedule this year. Where our first flight out from Islip was ususally around 7:00 am, this year it's 6:15 and we land at 9:05 BUT we will be in the parks by 10:30 so it's really a full day.

Last one out is 7:00 pm so we have a good portion of the day before ME picks up at 4.

MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #22
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

As an AP holder, I go to WDW several times a year. Every single trip I always take the earliest flight down there and then the latest flight back. I want all the time I can get down there.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
PSUGuy
Bill From PA

We fly down early to capture that first day, 6:15 out of Newark in a few days, and we give ourselves a good sleep before the flight home. It's all about the last full day at WDW. We found that having an early flight home spoiled the last evening for us, too much thought about having a 4 am alarm hanging over our heads.

Bill From PA
Old 10-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #24
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

We try to catch the second-from-the-last nonstop flight home. Have to be at work by 6am so I don't want to get home too late. Late afternoon works well. We don't go to a park on the last day; rather we relax at the hotel after checking out, visit another resort, or drive offsite and do something before heading to the airport.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #25
LisaS
DIS Veteran

We usually take the last non-stop flight home. On a trip last May, the last flight was supposed to leave MCO at 8:20pm and arrive at MHT at 11:10pm. Unfortunately it was delayed about 4-1/2 hours. We left MCO around 1:00 am. By the time we got home and crawled into bed it was 5:00am, Monday morning.

On a previous trip to that one we again took the last flight home. The flight was delayed due to weather for an hour or so. Got into the parking lot at MHT around 12:30 am and discovered we had a flat tire.

So, for our next trip we're staying an extra day and taking a mid-afternoon flight home. Even with a 5-hour delay we'll still get in before midnight!

ETA: We've had several late flights that departed and arrived on time so it works most of the time, but flat tires at 1am and long delays at that time of night were enough to make us change our strategy.

Last edited by LisaS; 10-06-2012 at 01:42 PM.
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #26
Moparlar
Mouseketeer

We usually go for the flights around 6 PM. My DW likes to go to DD and shop before we head home.

Larry
Old 10-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #27
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

we try for the mid-day non-stop, but it is always the most expensive. i can't get us packed and out of the room for the early morning flight & i don't want to pack the night before, nor live out of a suitcase just to save some money. the cost difference is about $50 per ticket, not worth the stress of trying to get on the first flight out.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #28
Nancy F
DIS Veteran

We always book the earliest non-stop coming in and the latest non-stop leaving. This way we have more time to spend there.
Nancy
Old 10-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #29
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindavidhook View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
For a 10:35 flight plan on ME picking you up at about 7:30ish.
In my book that's early but doable. Much before that and I'd pay all kinds of extra so I didn't have to crawl out of bed so early.
I would return to MCO the night before and spend the night at the Hyatt. It's a 5 min walk to the terminal and would give you an extra hour sleep.
Depending what WDW resort you stay at, the Hyatt may even be cheaper.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #30
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

We like an early flight because I can never really relax and enjoy myself on the last day - always watching the clock to make sure we don't miss our transportation. I find the last day of any vaca to be depressing so I figure we'll "rip the Band-Aid off" first thing and head home.

Planning a "super-secret" October F&WF weekend!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: