Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
NC State Tigger
'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger

Snorkel equipment on CC ?

Can you bring and use your own equipment? The port adventures info states that a "vest" needs to be worn? If we have our own mask and fins can we snorkel in the lagoon without a vest?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
Disney_Alli
DIS Veteran

My understanding is that while you are free to bring your own snorkel equipment you must borrow a vest (free of charge) if you will be snorkeling on CC.

Lots of Pixie Dust
Disney_Alli

Disney_Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
UncleLarry
Mouseketeer

Yes, you can use your own snorkel and fins. Yes, you still have to wear one of the vests that they provide. The vests are self inflated, so you can fill them up as much or as little as you want depending on your swimming skills.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
marhs
DIS Veteran

Yep! Bring your own gear if you'd like, but you will need to wear their vest. It's nice because you can inflate or deflate based on your own preferences. I think they like to have the same vests on everyone out there as it makes it very easy to spot each snorkeler. Have a great time! Hope you find all the hidden sunken treasures!
marhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Hope2cruise
Mouseketeer

And go as early as you can. The water will get murky as more people stir up the sand. I overheard one gentleman complaining to GS about the snorkeling on our cruise. There wasn't much there and too cloudy to see anything. I think he was trying to get his money back. We didn't have any issues. It was my DS's first experience snorkeling and he loved it.
09/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise, 02/11 Pop, 02/11 AS Sports, 02/05 AKL, 02/05 AS Movies, 02/02 Off site, 01/94 Off site, 09/92 Land & Sea Honeymoon, Big Red Boat /Contemporary, 1974 – 1990 Off site multiple times.
Hope2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
oldwildernesspeacock
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2cruise View Post
And go as early as you can. The water will get murky as more people stir up the sand. I overheard one gentleman complaining to GS about the snorkeling on our cruise. There wasn't much there and too cloudy to see anything. I think he was trying to get his money back. We didn't have any issues. It was my DS's first experience snorkeling and he loved it.
I echo the early part. We always leave the ship as soon as we can to hit the water. It will get cloudy with use. There are many novice snorklers, which is absolutely fine, but they stop and churn up the water. The down side is you may lose a prime position on the beach. The upside is to finish the circuit, get out, and it is tilme for steaks on the adult beach.
oldwildernesspeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Ikaikalani
Tee-Eye-double Guh-err

Do you have to wear a vest if you snorkel off of the adult beach? Last time i used a float/tube, but didn't rent any snorkel gear (thinking of doing so on our upcoming cruise tho) and I seem to recall people snorkeling w/o a vest?!!?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
castawaycayfans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaikalani View Post
Do you have to wear a vest if you snorkel off of the adult beach? Last time i used a float/tube, but didn't rent any snorkel gear (thinking of doing so on our upcoming cruise tho) and I seem to recall people snorkeling w/o a vest?!!?
No, unless they have changed, but I would highly recommend it. A couple of years ago, DH almost drown snorkeling at the adult beach. He actually wasn't out that far, but got caught in a current, lost his mask and fins and struggled to get back to shore. There were no lifeguards at that beach and I am grateful that he did not panic. Fortunately he is a good swimmer, otherwise our trip to CC would have been tragic.
castawaycayfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by castawaycayfans View Post

. . . A couple of years ago, DH almost drown snorkeling at the adult beach. He actually wasn't out that far, but got caught in a current, lost his mask and fins and struggled to get back to shore. There were no lifeguards at that beach and I am grateful that he did not panic. Fortunately he is a good swimmer, otherwise our trip to CC would have been tragic.
One day many years ago at Serenity Bay I watched lifeguards make three rescues before lunchtime. They rescued people who were on float mattresses or float tubes, fell asleep, then drifted out too far.

On more recent visits, I have not seen any lifeguards.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: