Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Skinny Minnie -Barney's Petition

I hope I'm not out of line for posting this here, but I do remember coming across a post in another thread regarding the new look they've given to Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck in a new Barneys campaign. I just received an email petition against the new look and I wanted to share it for those who might be interested in signing it.

Title of the petition: Barneys plans to dramatically alter Minnie Mouse's body - making her a 5'11 size 0 in order to "look good" in a Lanvin dress in the Barneys NYC window this holiday season.

http://www.**********************barn...e=action_alert

FairyDawn on Etsy
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

Thanks for sharing that. It bugs me that they tramped up a character that they also use to teach preschoolers.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Signed, thanks!
NateNLogansDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

Just signed...thanks for posting!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
IfIHadWings
Earning My Ears

Just signed too. Altering a character that influences children into such a distorted, stretched, anorexic form is unconscionable.
IfIHadWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
havingadisneyday
Are we there yet?

I can't imagine Disney Okaying this. I thought their characters were copyright protected. : (
Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
smitch425
DIS Veteran

I don't have a problem with the ads. I highly doubt anyone is going to become anorexic because of Minnie Mouse. She is a cartoon character, and it is an artistic campaign. Nothing about it implies reality. I think they are a bit creepy looking, personally. DD has the same opinion. When she saw the photos, she said "That's weird.", and went about her business. I think parents are making a bigger deal over it than the actual kids.

Now, what I DO have an issue with is all of the "nerd" merchandise. It infuriates DD, and it is everywhere. With all of the kids that wear glasses these days and the issues with bullying, I think all of the nerd merchandise is in poor taste. I think that is a bigger issue than one store's window display, IMHO.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
knitster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I don't have a problem with the ads. I highly doubt anyone is going to become anorexic because of Minnie Mouse. She is a cartoon character, and it is an artistic campaign. Nothing about it implies reality. I think they are a bit creepy looking, personally. DD has the same opinion. When she saw the photos, she said "That's weird.", and went about her business. I think parents are making a bigger deal over it than the actual kids.
I have to say, my knee jerk reaction to the picture was to be up in arms, but I think you're right - kids will most likely either think its A: weird or B: it won't even register as a blip on their radar. It's not an add targeted at kids, is it?

Quote:
Now, what I DO have an issue with is all of the "nerd" merchandise. It infuriates DD, and it is everywhere. With all of the kids that wear glasses these days and the issues with bullying, I think all of the nerd merchandise is in poor taste. I think that is a bigger issue than one store's window display, IMHO.
Really? My ODS wears glasses and he loves the nerd merchandise! Of course, he is a self proclaimed nerd and geek and has never encountered bullying, so that probably colors his view.

knitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitster View Post
Really? My ODS wears glasses and he loves the nerd merchandise! Of course, he is a self proclaimed nerd and geek and has never encountered bullying, so that probably colors his view.
DD gets straight As, but has never claimed herself to be a nerd. It could be a boy/girl thing. I just know that whenever we come across a nerd shirt she gets all huffy and puffy about it. I swear...she is 9 going on 15. I am not looking forward to her teenage years!
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
knitster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DD gets straight As, but has never claimed herself to be a nerd. It could be a boy/girl thing. I just know that whenever we come across a nerd shirt she gets all huffy and puffy about it. I swear...she is 9 going on 15. I am not looking forward to her teenage years!
I hear ya - my daughter is 6 going on 15. Oy!

My son is a total computer geek and so are all of his friends, so I'm sure that has a *lot* to do with how he perceives the nerd merch.

knitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havingadisneyday View Post
I can't imagine Disney Okaying this. I thought their characters were copyright protected. : (
This is approved by Disney, they even worked closely with Disney on the project.

I found this in a HuffingtonPost article about the petition:

"Barneys sent over a statement from Disney that explains why the characters were slimmed down: "The elongated poses of Disney characters, including Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Goofy and Cruella de Vil, are dramatically stylized. They’re creative interpretations from a fashion lens, and only appear for a few seconds in this video... Although Minnie is in her classic form for most of the piece, she does go through a dream portal at one point where she takes on this stylized fashion model form for just a few seconds. In the end, we see her happily back to her classic form still wearing her designer dress, designed by Alber Elbaz for Lanvin.

"One of our more difficult challenges was bringing the two separate worlds of Disney and couture fashion together in a believable manner. Our solution was to have the characters pass through a magical portal as they step out onto the runway."
"
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
havingadisneyday
Are we there yet?

ugh Hufpo.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
This is approved by Disney, they even worked closely with Disney on the project.

I found this in a HuffingtonPost article about the petition:

"Barneys sent over a statement from Disney that explains why the characters were slimmed down: "The elongated poses of Disney characters, including Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Goofy and Cruella de Vil, are dramatically stylized. They’re creative interpretations from a fashion lens, and only appear for a few seconds in this video... Although Minnie is in her classic form for most of the piece, she does go through a dream portal at one point where she takes on this stylized fashion model form for just a few seconds. In the end, we see her happily back to her classic form still wearing her designer dress, designed by Alber Elbaz for Lanvin.

"One of our more difficult challenges was bringing the two separate worlds of Disney and couture fashion together in a believable manner. Our solution was to have the characters pass through a magical portal as they step out onto the runway."
"
I actually think it would be better if they just stuck with "it's an artistic interpretation" line and left it at that...adding the part about Minnie dreaming that she was a crazy looking fashion model is just weird and makes it even more focused on the "all women fantasize that they look like this..." mindset.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
daraddg
DIS Veteran

Signed Thank you for posting, just ridiculous...I am OK with altering images, I know some are upset over the newer princess looks and that isnt all that different but this is a very unhealthy body they have chosen to put Minnies head on ,just an absurd campaign
Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
ajpahl
Earning My Ears

ugh! She looks like a villain in that new picture! I certainly hope it's something just done for that shoot and not a wave of the future. She's a MOUSE for goodness sake!
ajpahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: