Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
DisneyBuffinDE
Mouseketeer

Verizon wireless on the Disney Fantasy??????

Has anyone used their Verizon wireless phone on the Disney Fantasy? When I looked on the Verizon wireless website it listed the Dream, Wonder and Magic but not the fantasy. I'm starting to get anxious about leaving the kids at home with family but it is our 10 year wedding anniversary. I just need the assurance that my Verizon wireless iPhone 4s will work on board. I already have the international set up so not worried about that.
DS 10
DD 6
WDW 1992 Disney Land 93 PORS July 00 CB May 06
WL Oct 07 WL May 08 SS Feb 09 SS May 09
AKV DEC 09 AKV Feb 10 BWV Jul 10 AKV Nov 10
AKV Mar 11 AKV Mar 12
10/5-10-15 Land and Sea Coronado Springs and DCL Fantasy (Oct 6-13)
BLT Mar 13
AKV MAR 14
DCL Fantasy MAR 14
AKV NOV 14
DisneyBuffinDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
castmbr
DIS Veteran

I just called them yesterday and they stated that it will work. Rates are the same as you see on their website for the other Disney ships. Their global cust svc no is 8007118300 in case you want to confirm.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Yes, we use Verizon and it will work on the Fantasy. They just haven't updated their website. It costs $2.49 per minute to cellular at sea. Texts are 5 cents to receive, 50 cents to send (BE careful--if you turn on your phone and there is a bunch of junk people have sent, it will cost you!) You can use the phone on St. Thomas and in Alaska as part of your plan.

Note--the above price info applies to my plan; you may have a different Verizon plan.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
sambycat
DIS Veteran

any smart phone will work, it’s a matter of how much you want to pay!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

be careful...roaming rates are huge....

three days into our 8/18 WC cruise they sent me a text telling me my roaming charges where $155, and i was primarily getting emails....i've been fighting them as i did not get advanced notice of the cost and am down to 75% of the bill...you can get it but its going to cost you...
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

There are places in port where you can access the wireless for a small fee. The CMs on board or other Disboarders will know the best places for wireless access in port.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
sgc1107
sgc1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
Yes, we use Verizon and it will work on the Fantasy. They just haven't updated their website. It costs $2.49 per minute to cellular at sea. Texts are 5 cents to receive, 50 cents to send (BE careful--if you turn on your phone and there is a bunch of junk people have sent, it will cost you!) You can use the phone on St. Thomas and in Alaska as part of your plan.

Note--the above price info applies to my plan; you may have a different Verizon plan.
When I called them they said even though their site says its Verizon service you will be charged international roaming!!! Beware!! You may also gey a different answer depending on who you speak to! I'm on vacation my cell will be locked in the room safe!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
castmbr
DIS Veteran

They told me that I had to call to have the international roaming enabled on the phone and then it is the $2.49/minute on the ship but $1.99/minute in St. Thomas & St. Maarteen (if you are going Eastern)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
sgc1107
sgc1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmbr
They told me that I had to call to have the international roaming enabled on the phone and then it is the $2.49/minute on the ship but $1.99/minute in St. Thomas & St. Maarteen (if you are going Eastern)
This would make complete since! Thanks for the info!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

actually you can leave your phone on and just go to the connections and turn roaming off- i learned the hard way...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
jlmarr
You got that right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
be careful...roaming rates are huge....

three days into our 8/18 WC cruise they sent me a text telling me my roaming charges where $155, and i was primarily getting emails....i've been fighting them as i did not get advanced notice of the cost and am down to 75% of the bill...you can get it but its going to cost you...
This is what we heard from an employee of a major wireless carrier who happened to be on our recent cruise. He said the roaming bills could be in the hundreds of dollars and we'd be best off turning the phone to "airplane mode" as soon as we left port and lost connectivity.
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
acceber32
Mouseketeer

I kept my phone on airplane mode the whole cruise so I didn't get any roaming fees for data from all the apps, etc. and I was still able to use the apps I had on it that didn't require an internet connection at the time (main one we used was the sound machine, have to have that to sleep!!). Roaming fees scare me! When I was in college back before they had national plans I would get huge roaming charges while driving back home to visit. It was so irritating being a college student and getting a large cell phone bill but my dad wanted me to have a cell phone in case something happened (he always worried about his baby girl ).
acceber32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend

I have to go to the Verizon Store to find this very thing out. Last October I remember paying about $10 for the week for special services that they told me at the store I would need. I have unlimited data, so I guess that was good. I did get a phone call while on board at sea and I got e mails and texts and stuff. I don't think my bill was more than $20 more than what it normally is. I will post after I talk to them at the store tonight.

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favorite Auntie View Post
I have to go to the Verizon Store to find this very thing out. Last October I remember paying about $10 for the week for special services that they told me at the store I would need. I have unlimited data, so I guess that was good. I did get a phone call while on board at sea and I got e mails and texts and stuff. I don't think my bill was more than $20 more than what it normally is. I will post after I talk to them at the store tonight.
$20 is a good deal...
Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmbr View Post
I checked on with Verizon this morning and was told the same thing. The rates were the same for Puerto Rico as well. The text messages were $.50 and $.05 as someone mentioned in a previous post.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: