Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #76
DillWaters
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 112

Anybody else here in Concierge? If so, call up the shoreside concierge hotline and ask them what night is pirate night... See if you get the same interesting answer that I did. They actually made a point of asking me not to post it on DIS, otherwise I would. If someone else gets the same answer, maybe they won't be asked to keep it quiet.
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #77
ScottFamily2005
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: American Canyon, CA
Posts: 82

Newbies!

Hi there!

We are new to Disney Cruise line. This will be DD7's first cruise! We can't wait and I am driving DH crazy with planning.

We are flying into Seattle on 6/13, then taking the train to Vancouver on the morning of 6/16.

So can you all tell me what to book first when my window opens: check-in time, Palo, spa or excursions?

We lean toward Palo Brunch and I am thinking of booking that day 2. I also am thinking of booking a Spa Villa the morning of Tracy Arm. That way I can see some lovely scenery during my alone time.

For excursions, the dog sled summer musher's camp on Skagway is a must do for us (I thought about White Pass but we have two train trips between Settle and Vancouver). In Juneau, we are going to book whale watching with the glacier. Ketchikan maybe nothing.

We have second seating - anyone else? I agonized over it, but we are all night owls. Plus I don't want to have to head back early and change. Anyone know which nights are not to be missed in the dining rooms? I still toy with a possible Palo dinner.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm Paula my husband is Greg, and DD7 is Kate. I'll get around to making a siggie at some point.

Thanks for having me!
ScottFamily2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #78
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas
 
Linda67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFamily2005
Hi there!

We are new to Disney Cruise line. This will be DD7's first cruise! We can't wait and I am driving DH crazy with planning.

We are flying into Seattle on 6/13, then taking the train to Vancouver on the morning of 6/16.

So can you all tell me what to book first when my window opens: check-in time, Palo, spa or excursions?

We lean toward Palo Brunch and I am thinking of booking that day 2. I also am thinking of booking a Spa Villa the morning of Tracy Arm. That way I can see some lovely scenery during my alone time.

For excursions, the dog sled summer musher's camp on Skagway is a must do for us (I thought about White Pass but we have two train trips between Settle and Vancouver). In Juneau, we are going to book whale watching with the glacier. Ketchikan maybe nothing.

We have second seating - anyone else? I agonized over it, but we are all night owls. Plus I don't want to have to head back early and change. Anyone know which nights are not to be missed in the dining rooms? I still toy with a possible Palo dinner.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm Paula my husband is Greg, and DD7 is Kate. I'll get around to making a siggie at some point.

Thanks for having me!
Hi Paula and welcome aboard!

Not long now until we can all be relaxing on the Wonder

I'm sure others are better placed to answer than me (I've only done two cruises previously) but from what I can gather the Palo Brunch books up quickly so you should probably try and grab that first. If its fully booked, don't worry, DCL keeps many of the slots open for people to book whilst on-board.
When you pick up your navigator at the terminal, it will tell you where to head to make any dining reservations or changes so you could head there straight away and try to get a reservation that way

We've had second seating on both of cruises and loved it, I hate to feel like we are having to rush to dinner, especially if we've been on an excursion

The spa villa sounds like it would be heavenly

I'm sure others will chip in with more hints and tips but it's great to have you here!
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #79
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas
 
Linda67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillWaters
Anybody else here in Concierge? If so, call up the shoreside concierge hotline and ask them what night is pirate night... See if you get the same interesting answer that I did. They actually made a point of asking me not to post it on DIS, otherwise I would. If someone else gets the same answer, maybe they won't be asked to keep it quiet.
Ooh sounds interesting - sadly I'm not concierge so can't help
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #80
DillWaters
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67

Ooh sounds interesting - sadly I'm not concierge so can't help
It's good and will be fun. But I wouldn't spend any money on or bring any pirate gear with you. Think California Coast cruises from a couple years ago. The night is re-themed for a certain Bay Area company that Disney owns.
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #81
DillWaters
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillWaters

It's good and will be fun. But I wouldn't spend any money on or bring any pirate gear with you. Think California Coast cruises from a couple years ago. The night is re-themed for a certain Bay Area company that Disney owns.
Oh, and it will be the night we leave Juneau
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #82
ScottFamily2005
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: American Canyon, CA
Posts: 82

Thanks Linda! I'll definitely get our Palo rez in first!

Dill Waters, that sounds like more fun than a pirate party to me! I had read pirate night was on Juneau day lady year. We will be sure not to book anything that night.
ScottFamily2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:03 AM   #83
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas
 
Linda67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillWaters

It's good and will be fun. But I wouldn't spend any money on or bring any pirate gear with you. Think California Coast cruises from a couple years ago. The night is re-themed for a certain Bay Area company that Disney owns.
Aha - I see
I wonder if this will be specific to our particular cruise?
June 21st - our Juneau day, is the official release day of a certain new film. DCL usually shows premiers so it looks like they might be making a night of it ...... I for one am very excited about this
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #84
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran
 
IBelieveInTheMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieland Mom View Post
Thank you! Only 94 days! We are super excited!!
Welcome!!! I see you are from NC - we are too!! We both have long flight times from the East Coast but it's nothing to complain about - after all, we are going to Alaska!! What day are you guys flying in? We are leaving at the crack of dawn on 6/15 and therefore getting in 2 days early, directly into Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillWaters View Post
Anybody else here in Concierge? If so, call up the shoreside concierge hotline and ask them what night is pirate night... See if you get the same interesting answer that I did. They actually made a point of asking me not to post it on DIS, otherwise I would. If someone else gets the same answer, maybe they won't be asked to keep it quiet.
I wish I was!! Very interesting! Hmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFamily2005 View Post
Hi there!

We are new to Disney Cruise line. This will be DD7's first cruise! We can't wait and I am driving DH crazy with planning.

We are flying into Seattle on 6/13, then taking the train to Vancouver on the morning of 6/16.

So can you all tell me what to book first when my window opens: check-in time, Palo, spa or excursions?

We lean toward Palo Brunch and I am thinking of booking that day 2. I also am thinking of booking a Spa Villa the morning of Tracy Arm. That way I can see some lovely scenery during my alone time.

For excursions, the dog sled summer musher's camp on Skagway is a must do for us (I thought about White Pass but we have two train trips between Settle and Vancouver). In Juneau, we are going to book whale watching with the glacier. Ketchikan maybe nothing.

We have second seating - anyone else? I agonized over it, but we are all night owls. Plus I don't want to have to head back early and change. Anyone know which nights are not to be missed in the dining rooms? I still toy with a possible Palo dinner.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm Paula my husband is Greg, and DD7 is Kate. I'll get around to making a siggie at some point.

Thanks for having me!
Welcome!!! I'd likely suggest any popular excursions first (if you have your heart set on any), Palo, then PAT (port arrival time). We are still on the fence about Palo and we'd do brunch so we'll see what shows available. We currently have second seating dining however it's not by choice. We are definitely early eaters (530pm at home) and with us being East Coasters our bodies will feel a little off since it will really be like 9pm if we can eat at 5pm so I hope we get switched. They have us listed as priority as I don't mind sharing - I wear an insulin pump (type 1) and for "medical reasons" too -it really helps to stay on schedule and have the early dining. It won't be the end of the world and it will not ruin our cruise since there is plenty of food, however for the experience we are praying for early dining. We know they don't usually do any confirmations until it gets close to sailing so we are being patient for now. I think people prefer each one for different reasons. The positive to the second seating is you don't have to rush back to the ship after excursions and get ready for dinner, just as you mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillWaters View Post
It's good and will be fun. But I wouldn't spend any money on or bring any pirate gear with you. Think California Coast cruises from a couple years ago. The night is re-themed for a certain Bay Area company that Disney owns.
Well - THAT doesn't give it away!! We are huge Pixar fans so very interesting.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Aha - I see
I wonder if this will be specific to our particular cruise?
June 21st - our Juneau day, is the official release day of a certain new film. DCL usually shows premiers so it looks like they might be making a night of it ...... I for one am very excited about this
I knew there was something I forgot to mention to you guys - that's it!! The premier of Monsters University on June 21st Hmm...we would love something special and different (and please don't think I'm doubting anyone) but it seems they would want to promote this and make sure people don't bring "Piratey" items? We just might be in a for special treat - way cool!!!

Have a great weekend everyone and Monday night, midnight is getting closer!!

Ps. If for some reason if I'm jeopardizing any info (?) by putting names above about the special night (that I really know nothing about), please say and I'll edit the info out.

Heather
__________________
(Me), (DH), (DS)
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder, 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #85
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas
 
Linda67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post

Have a great weekend everyone and Monday night, midnight is getting closer!!

Heather
Isn't it funny to think of us all logging on Monday night!

Spare a though for me when my alarm clock sounds at 3:45am in the UK

I've already warned DH about the strange noctunal habits of the over planning CC member he married
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #86
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.
 
zweihund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Casselberry, FL - 40 minutes from the mouse.
Posts: 2,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillWaters View Post
It's good and will be fun. But I wouldn't spend any money on or bring any pirate gear with you. Think California Coast cruises from a couple years ago. The night is re-themed for a certain Bay Area company that Disney owns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post
Well - THAT doesn't give it away!! We are huge Pixar fans so very interesting.....

I knew there was something I forgot to mention to you guys - that's it!! The premier of Monsters University on June 21st Hmm...we would love something special and different (and please don't think I'm doubting anyone) but it seems they would want to promote this and make sure people don't bring "Piratey" items? We just might be in a for special treat - way cool!!!

Have a great weekend everyone and Monday night, midnight is getting closer!!

Ps. If for some reason if I'm jeopardizing any info (?) by putting names above about the special night (that I really know nothing about), please say and I'll edit the info out.

Heather
That. Would. Be. AWESOME. I will keep my eyes and ears open!
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #87
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran
 
IBelieveInTheMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,309

Just curious - are any of you all doing the Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles excursion in Ketchikan? It gets really great reviews but I haven't found hardly anyone that has done it. I'm on the fence about it. My DS really wants to do a gold mining excursion and I've read awesome reviews about the Lumberjack shows so I think *he* would get more out of those two (not necessarily in Ketchikan).

Perhaps when I see the times available LATE tonight it will help me decide.

It's still a priority to explore each city while we are there so I don't want to run out of time and feel rushed in port. Problems, right??

C'mon midnight EST!!

Heather
__________________
(Me), (DH), (DS)
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder, 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #88
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas
 
Linda67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,549

Hooray - managed to get everything that we wanted to book and we are all checked in

It was worth getting up at 3:45 AM !!

Tons of availability on most things, including lots of Brunch slots

Hope everyone else gets what the they wanted

I was planning to go back to bed for a couple of hours but now I am buzzing !!
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #89
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas
 
Linda67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic
Just curious - are any of you all doing the Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles excursion in Ketchikan? It gets really great reviews but I haven't found hardly anyone that has done it. I'm on the fence about it. My DS really wants to do a gold mining excursion and I've read awesome reviews about the Lumberjack shows so I think *he* would get more out of those two (not necessarily in Ketchikan).

Perhaps when I see the times available LATE tonight it will help me decide.

It's still a priority to explore each city while we are there so I don't want to run out of time and feel rushed in port. Problems, right??

C'mon midnight EST!!

Heather
I've also read good reviews of the Lighthouse, Totems and Eagles excursion - are you going to give it a try?
We've booked a tour independently for Ketchikan as there was nothing in the DCL options that quite fitted the bill for us and we are hoping to catch the Lumberjack show on Grouse Mountain before the cruise so hopefully that will be enough axe swinging, plaid shirted men for one vacation
Let us all know how it goes
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #90
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran
 
IBelieveInTheMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Hooray - managed to get everything that we wanted to book and we are all checked in

It was worth getting up at 3:45 AM !!

Tons of availability on most things, including lots of Brunch slots

Hope everyone else gets what the they wanted

I was planning to go back to bed for a couple of hours but now I am buzzing !!
Me too!! I was surprised so much was available - like every Palo slot. I put us down for the last sea day as I know by then my DS will be loving the kids club and we can have some adult time for brunch! I tossed and turned the rest of the night so barely probably got 3 hours sleep - I'm on my second cup of tea now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
I've also read good reviews of the Lighthouse, Totems and Eagles excursion - are you going to give it a try?
We've booked a tour independently for Ketchikan as there was nothing in the DCL options that quite fitted the bill for us and we are hoping to catch the Lumberjack show on Grouse Mountain before the cruise so hopefully that will be enough axe swinging, plaid shirted men for one vacation
Let us all know how it goes
I asked my DH and DS and I know they'd really enjoy it after the fact, however they both seem to just want to hang out in port and sort of take it easy and not over schedule anything. I did confirm our White Rail Pass & Suspension Bridge tour at 715am in Skagway and then we'll do the Mt. Roberts tramway on our own in Juneau and then in Ketchikan I did pick the Exclusive Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. It sounds cheesy (love your description ) but I read such favorable reviews. This is the one we are on the fence about so we'll see. I can cancel before we make the journey if needed. What else did you confirm? I'm glad you're happy too

For anyone else that would like for me to check times for the excursions or prices, etc, please let me know and I'd be glad to do so.

Heather
__________________
(Me), (DH), (DS)
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder, 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.