Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #31
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandie5775
whew....got the final payment over with...and now just a few more weeks until we can book our excursions!
I have been trying not to obsess about the excursions too far ahead, but I think it is now official obsession time!
I hope to set up a FE exchange if anyone is interested. In the mean time, off to do some research!!

<3,
Kandie
Isn't it a wonderful feeling making that final payment
I just really what to get my excursions booked now, it's the final piece of the puzzle and its driving me crazy having to wait!
Enjoy your research
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #32
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Tax refund came a day early, so I paid the balance today! Looks like we'll be coming along....it was getting a little dicey there for awhile

It's official "panic over excursions" time.
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #33
CoasterDadof2
Earning My Ears

Well, we just booked this cruise today!! First time in Alaska for our family. It will be myself, DW, DD(12) and DS(10) and my parents. This meet thread is so quiet, anyone have any advice for cruising Alaska?
CoasterDadof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #34
DillWaters
Mouseketeer

Just saying "hi". My family and I are going on our first-ever cruise and are looking forward to the sights of Alaska. It will be myself (Aaron), DW (Jodi), DD10, DD6, and a friend of the family that does double-duty as a babysitter.

We booked this cruise last May and I'm very excited to be able to start booking the excursions tonight! (Cat 00S, so we get 120 days)

We plan to do the WPYR train in Skagway, Taku Lodge in Juneau and shopping and lumberjacks in Ketchikan.
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #35
Spart02
Mouseketeer

Excursions excursions excursions! What to do?!

Welcome new members! We are a pretty quiet bunch! Maybe that will change as it gets closer.

I'm having such a tough time deciding what to do as far as excursions go! I was thinking that I really wanted to do a whale watching tour, but those seem to only be offered in Juneau. Taku Lodge looks cool, but that's also in Juneau. My oldest is wanting to do the Teen Exclusive tour, which sounds like fun for him.

We're really not dog fans at all, so Skagway is giving us some troubles. Some of the excursions sound good, but with a 5 year old in our group, choices are more limited. I'm comfortable with leaving her on the ship for a couple of hours, but some of the tours I'm looking at are over 6 hours long. That's too long for us to leave her in the Kids Club. Ziplining is a choice, but I'm not totally sold on that either. I'm worried that I'll feel too fat to be doing it and really have fun! I'm not even close to the weight limit, but still! And once again, we would have to leave my 5 year old on the ship while we do that. If we fly to the Taku lodge in Juneau, I'm not sure I want to also do a helicopter ride in Skagway.

I feel there are too many choices for our group for Juneau and not enough in Skagway! We have people from about 5-65 in our group. I haven't even really looked at Ketchican yet.

Anyone else struggling with excursions?!

May 98 - CBR - Honeymoon
Jan. 02 - Offsite - DoubleTree Club
Jan. 04 - POP
Jan. 06 - POP
Sept. 06 - Disneyland Hotel
Dec. 07 - POP
Jan. 09 - Wilderness Lodge
Jan. 10 - Dreams Villas
Oct. 10 - Dreams Villas
Jan. 12 - Disney Dream Cruise, then Bay Lake Tower
June 13 - Wonder - Alaska!
May 14 - Magic - Transatlantic
Spart02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #36
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spart02
Welcome new members! We are a pretty quiet bunch! Maybe that will change as it gets closer.

I'm having such a tough time deciding what to do as far as excursions go! I was thinking that I really wanted to do a whale watching tour, but those seem to only be offered in Juneau. Taku Lodge looks cool, but that's also in Juneau. My oldest is wanting to do the Teen Exclusive tour, which sounds like fun for him.

We're really not dog fans at all, so Skagway is giving us some troubles. Some of the excursions sound good, but with a 5 year old in our group, choices are more limited. I'm comfortable with leaving her on the ship for a couple of hours, but some of the tours I'm looking at are over 6 hours long. That's too long for us to leave her in the Kids Club. Ziplining is a choice, but I'm not totally sold on that either. I'm worried that I'll feel too fat to be doing it and really have fun! I'm not even close to the weight limit, but still! And once again, we would have to leave my 5 year old on the ship while we do that. If we fly to the Taku lodge in Juneau, I'm not sure I want to also do a helicopter ride in Skagway.

I feel there are too many choices for our group for Juneau and not enough in Skagway! We have people from about 5-65 in our group. I haven't even really looked at Ketchican yet.

Anyone else struggling with excursions?!
I second the welcome to new members
It has been pretty quiet on this thread but as Spart02 says that will probably change as we get closer

Spart02 - I know what you mean about excursions! We went back and forth so many times on what we wanted to do but we have finally decided and now it's killing me waiting until we can book them! (We are silver so have to wait until 90 days out)

We used a couple of criteria when we were choosing. Firstly we didn't want to do something we had done before (e.g. We have been whale watching, all be it in a different location) and we didn't want to do excursions that were so long that we wouldn't have chance to spend time exploring on our own

Most of our excursions are 2 - 3 hours max

We love dogs and really wanted to see Mendenhall so the glacier dog sledding is perfect for Juneau

In Skagway we are doing the White Pass Railway but coming back on the bus, we stop at Liarsville on the way back which looks a bit blah, but we really didn't want to just stay on the train for hours so decided to mix the journey up

In Ketchikan, we have booked an independent tour, a rainforest hike. We love to walk and thought that getting out into the forest with a local guide would be perfect for us

Basically we are going to be spending a lot of time on a ship so a train, helicopter (and dog sledge) plus our own two feet seems to be a nice mix

Just gotta hope they are available now !
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #37
Aurora1959
The glorious day when they go back to school
I've never gotten it in different doses
now if I could just get some of those chocolates

It's been a long time since I've been on the boards, but since we can start booking stuff today I thought I'd pop-in and see who else will be sailing.

It will be My hubby Jon, who turns 40 later this summer. My sons, Tristan, soon to be 18 and Garet who just turned 15 yesterday. And of course myself, Carrie.

We're driving from California and visiting family a little bit before the cruise in Seattle. Then making a mad-dash to Eugene, Oregon so that we can drop one off at Distance Camp.

While on the ship we like to just take it easy and kick back. Not sure we will book many excursions this cruise. Probably just explore the towns and museums. We usually bring games and/or computers/tablets with us. I'd like to bring the Wii and leave the computers this time. However, the oldest is Autistic, and having a computer where he can zone out away from people is a necessity. Since we're driving a smaller car this time, I don't know what we can really pack with us.

If anyone else is interested in games, we wouldn't mind arranging some play times. I usually try to bring stuff that travels well, mostly card games. Rage, Five Crowns, Mystery Rummy (Rue Morgue and Al Capone), Frank's Zoo, Space Beans, Bohnanza.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #38
Aurora1959
The glorious day when they go back to school
I've never gotten it in different doses
now if I could just get some of those chocolates

Just did some quick searching.

You guys probably already noticed, but we'll be in the Tracy Arm on the longest day of the year. I think that's pretty cool. With the sun coming up around 3 in the morning (2 if they make us set our clocks back) that's lots of good time to watch the scenery.

Anyone have any idea how long we're there? I booked Palo for dinner that night, but I'm wondering if I should save it for a different night.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #39
xmansmom
Mouseketeer

I'm thinking about booking this cruise. Is everyone flying into Vancouver? It's a lot cheaper to fly to Seattle and drive there but I'm wondering how much trouble that is. Anyone have some good advice/experience with this?
Last minute trip to Disneyland July/Aug 2007
Spring Break @ WDW - March 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea - July 2010
Disneyland to check out Radiator Springs July 2012
First Disney Cruise on the Magic! Feb 2013
4th of July at WDW 2013 Are we crazy??
WDW - July 2014

First trip to the dark side - July 2014

xmansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #40
Spart02
Mouseketeer

We are flying into Seattle and doing one-way minivan rentals to and from Vancouver. It works out to be a LOT cheaper since our traveling party has 7 people in it. It will also give us the freedom to explore Seattle and Vancouver on our own.

May 98 - CBR - Honeymoon
Jan. 04 - POP
Jan. 06 - POP
Dec. 07 - POP
Jan. 10 - Dreams Villas
Oct. 10 - Dreams Villas
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #41
Spart02
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora1959 View Post

You guys probably already noticed, but we'll be in the Tracy Arm on the longest day of the year. I think that's pretty cool. With the sun coming up around 3 in the morning (2 if they make us set our clocks back) that's lots of good time to watch the scenery.

Anyone have any idea how long we're there? I booked Palo for dinner that night, but I'm wondering if I should save it for a different night.

That's so cool! What a great day to do Tracy Arm!

May 98 - CBR - Honeymoon
Jan. 04 - POP
Jan. 06 - POP
Dec. 07 - POP
Jan. 10 - Dreams Villas
Oct. 10 - Dreams Villas
Old 02-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #42
kandie5775
Earning My Ears

Yay! Welcome new members! I'm so glad our little thread is growing.

We are flying into Vancouver a couple days before we debark. Hoping to at least take the kids to see Stanley Park.

I'm starting to worry more about what to pack than excursions at this point. Since we are coming from So Cal, I'm not even sure how cold it's going to be in June...

kandie5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #43
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Wow, I'm away for a week and the thread has exploded! It's getting real now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasterDadof2 View Post
Well, we just booked this cruise today!! First time in Alaska for our family. It will be myself, DW, DD(12) and DS(10) and my parents. This meet thread is so quiet, anyone have any advice for cruising Alaska?
DH and I went in 2011 and it was amazing....check out the pre-TR link in my signature. I reviewed the excursions we did last time, talked about what we packed (and what we didn't need) and more. I'm by no means an Alaska expert but you can ask me anything and I'll try to answer!
We're going again this year for my Dad's 60th birthday. It was his present to himself, and we are going along for "moral support" - yeah, that's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillWaters View Post
Just saying "hi". My family and I are going on our first-ever cruise and are looking forward to the sights of Alaska. It will be myself (Aaron), DW (Jodi), DD10, DD6, and a friend of the family that does double-duty as a babysitter.

We booked this cruise last May and I'm very excited to be able to start booking the excursions tonight! (Cat 00S, so we get 120 days)

We plan to do the WPYR train in Skagway, Taku Lodge in Juneau and shopping and lumberjacks in Ketchikan.
We'll be on the train too, and shopping in the big K - welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spart02 View Post

I'm having such a tough time deciding what to do as far as excursions go!
It's pretty overwhelming....but when you look, so many things are similar or even almost identical. I think it just gums up the works. I felt last time, like you, that Juneau had everything I wanted to do and the other ports were just "eh". I could have spent three days in Juneau and still not have done everything I wanted to do. And this year, well, we booked the same tour we did last year BUT it was amazing, and it's what my parents want to do.

There are also many independent excursions out there.....not to throw more at you at this point lol but I heard great things about Harv and Marv. There are also whale watching trips from Vancouver if you're planning to spend some time there. Don't know much about them, but I saw the ads when we were there in 2011. Might be an option if you want to see whales but want to do something else in Juneau.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora1959 View Post

I think you could safely do Palo that night. If I remember correctly, we did brunch that day and had plenty of time to stake out some balcony space before Tracy Arm. The trip in is beautiful, but I'd say we only spent maybe an hour, maybe a little more, near the glacier itself? We had early dinner and there was no rush to get ready, we were out of the area by then.

I am starting to get really excited....June will be here before we know it!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #44
Jewell24
Off to Neverland

Hi! Getting very excited about the cruise. Headed to Wilderness Lodge in a couple of weeks first, but can't stop analyzing all the excursions in anticipation for being able to book. This is our 2nd Disney Cruise. The first was a four day on the Dream. We are cruising with a big family group. My husband, Daughters Izzi (7) and Olivia (5), and alot of my husband's family, 15 in all. Can't wait to share an exciting trip with all of you!!

Michele

P.S. Also looking forward to trying fish extenders, didn't find out about it till after our first cruise.
Jewell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #45
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewell24 View Post
Hi! Getting very excited about the cruise. Headed to Wilderness Lodge in a couple of weeks first, but can't stop analyzing all the excursions in anticipation for being able to book. This is our 2nd Disney Cruise. The first was a four day on the Dream. We are cruising with a big family group. My husband, Daughters Izzi (7) and Olivia (5), and alot of my husband's family, 15 in all. Can't wait to share an exciting trip with all of you!!

Michele

P.S. Also looking forward to trying fish extenders, didn't find out about it till after our first cruise.
I have an Izzy too! But she's only 3
Welcome!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: