Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
MarcyMouse
Mouseketeer

Southwest points for hotel/car rental?

I have found a lot of info about using southwest points to book flights, but does anyone use their points to reserve a hotel room or car rental? We have enough points to do so, but I am curious about cancellation policies or changes. Does anyone know, if you book a hotel room with points and then need to cancel it, do the points go back into your account? Or if I need to modify a car reservation, am I able to do that? Or is it set in stone once it's booked? I can't find information about this anywhere!

Anyone with experience using southwest points to buy anything other than a flight, please share your experiences. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

After browsing WN's website (which is terrible), it appears that if you want to use your WN miles for anything other than flights, you must do so through their Rapid Rewards More Rewards program, and have a RR Chase credit card.

http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...and_conditions

http://www.awardhq.com/servlet/Displ...rowse=HomePage
lost*in*cyberspace is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
MarcyMouse
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the link, but I have checked that already and it doesn't answer my questions. I have a rapid rewards account and have a lot of points now. I've just never used them for anything other than buying flights. I'm wondering if anyone uses their SW points to book hotels and car rentals?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
apennel
Mouseketeer

There was a thread on the budget board earlier this summer regarding someone using their rapid rewards points for Universal Studios tickets, Sea World tickets, and car rental.

Here is a link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2918838

If you follow the thread, there is an explanation on how to navigate the SWA site to get to the non-flight redemptions.

I'm debating if the non-flight options are points cost-effective....
apennel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
MarcyMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apennel View Post
There was a thread on the budget board earlier this summer regarding someone using their rapid rewards points for Universal Studios tickets, Sea World tickets, and car rental.

Here is a link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2918838

If you follow the thread, there is an explanation on how to navigate the SWA site to get to the non-flight redemptions.

I'm debating if the non-flight options are points cost-effective....
Thanks for linking that post! I couldn't find anything when I tried to search. I agree, some of the costs don't seem worth it, but in our case we have the points already have the flights, so we might as well use them for renting a car or something.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Well, I waited on cs line for a LONG time looking for those answers...what I finally was told that in order to cancel,or rebook, I would have to call and cancel a res. then go back into site and try to rebook- hoping I could find what I wanted. No guarantees of getting my points back though.
Kind if a terrible policy,IMHO. BUT.....
I would only cancel if I had NO choice,not to rebook at a better rate later,too much chance of losing my points,and no guarantee. ( I was told)
My experience is rental cars are a TERRIBLE deal, too pricey with points. I booked an onsite room at Universal using some points,as the value of our room and nights was a lot,so using the points made sense to me. I am positive short of catastrophe) we'll use the booking,so it's not an issue.
I am still looking to buy some park tix possiblly, but they seem kind of pricey. I just decide what is worth the MOST money for my trip while using my points/cash.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: