Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
keypooh90
Lovatic
 
keypooh90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Second Star to the Right :)
Posts: 4,580

PSA about Childhood Cancer Awareness and Breast Cancer Awareness Month

First, let me clarify by saying I am in no way belittling or discounting the battle women face. I support their fight against breast cancer and do not think any cancer is better or worse than the others, but think about this...September was Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Gold is the color for the kids. In September, how many commercials about Childhood Cancer Awareness did you see on tv? How many gold ribbons did you see in businesses, on television, or on athletes?

October is just beginning and already we are overrun with the pink.

Today is October 1st. Yesterday was the last day of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Now for the entire month of October you will see a wash of pink. Pink ribbons on products in every store. Pink shoes on football players in the NFL. Pink. Pink. Pink for breast cancer awareness.

What you may not realize is that breast cancer is the most well funded of all when it comes to cancer research. In just one year of funding — 2007 — the National Cancer Institute (NCI) spent $572.4 million on breast cancer research. That same year, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) spent an additional $705 million. The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation had total revenues that year of nearly $162 million. That is over 1 billion dollars in breast cancer research for a single year and doesn’t include the hundreds of smaller non-profits bringing in money.

By comparison, pediatric cancer research is woefully under-funded. There are many types of childhood cancer: leukemia, brain tumors, neuroblastoma, sarcoma, lymphoma, liver cancer, kidney cancer, skin cancer, germ cell tumors and more. All of them are lumped together for funding. For all childhood cancers combined in 2007 the NCI gave $173 million to pediatric cancer research which is less than 4% of their annual budget. The American Cancer Society budgeted even less towards childhood cancer research: only 1%. Leukemia & Lymphoma Society? 2% for children’s cancer research.

Many people believe that children benefit from research aimed towards adults. It may seem logical that when a drug is approved for adults with leukemia, certainly it must also be effective for children with leukemia. Unfortunately this almost always false. Once a drug is researched and approved for an adult it must go through the same research trials for children. Many times it proves to be ineffective for kids. In fact, of the 120 new cancer therapies for adults approved by the FDA between 1948 and January 2003, only 30 have proven effective in children. Of those 30 drugs, only 15 acquired any labeling for pediatric use during that same 55-year period

The sad fact of the matter is that children are not miniature adults. They need separately researched and specifically targeted therapies. They also need additional research to discover how to protect their growing bodies from long term side effects once they are cured since they have a whole life ahead of them.

Almost all conventional chemotherapy targets rapidly dividing cells. In an adult this is a more logical treatment because their bodies are finished growing, therefore the rapidly dividing cancer cells are easier to target. In children virtually all cells in the body are rapidly dividing because they are still growing and developing. That makes the cancer harder to treat and the side effects more intense and long lasting. We cannot continue to piggy back on the dregs of adult research. Childhood cancer deserves it’s own robust and innovative research that targets the unique challenges involved.

And it’s not just “kids”. The more research we do the more we discover that 15-22 year olds also need targeted therapies. Right now this is the only age group with a declining survival rate when it comes to cancer. They also have the highest fatality rate of all the age groups (aside from 70+ year olds). At this point in time children’s chemotherapy protocols are working better for teenagers than adult protocols. So when we put money into research for pediatric cancer we are really benefitting cancers affecting all young people under the age of 22.

Here is probably the biggest shocker of all. In the last 30 years do you know how many new drugs have been developed & approved specifically for childhood cancer. Only ONE! I cannot tell you how devastated this makes me feel. ONE new drug… is that all the children fighting for their lives are worth? The average cost of research and development to bring one drug to market is $802 million. At the rate we are going a cure for pediatric cancer seems very far away.

So before you think pink… consider supporting a charity that is truly invested in pediatric cancer research. I recommend:

CURE Childhood Cancer

Rally Foundation

Curing Kids Cancer
__________________
25 trips and counting Disney College Program Jan 2012 to July 2012...
keypooh90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Ppufi
Care Bear at Heart
 
Ppufi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,455

Thank you for this! I appreciate when people spread the word on childhood cancer.
__________________

Imagine it, Create it.
Ppufi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
keypooh90
Lovatic
 
keypooh90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Second Star to the Right :)
Posts: 4,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppufi View Post
Thank you for this! I appreciate when people spread the word on childhood cancer.


Thank you! I have volunteered directly with pediatric cancer patients for several years and they are truly my inspiration. I donate my money to CURE and the Aflac Cancer Center in Atlanta, and can't wait to get down to Orlando (want to work for Disney fulltime) so that I can volunteer weekly at GKTW.
__________________
25 trips and counting Disney College Program Jan 2012 to July 2012...
keypooh90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran
 
fortwildernessishome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 848

Wonderful post!

At 3:00 today a sweet little 12 year old girl ended her fight against brain cancer. I became aware of this child and her family though the Dis boards when her Mom posted about their make-a-wish trip to Disney. This sweet child fought the beast of cancer for over three years.........I do not know the family personally, but my heart has been breaking for them. Childhood cancer is soooooo sad.

On a different note, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and uterine cancer in July of 2011. Ovarian cancer is often called the poor step sister to breast cancer. It is the most deadly of the female cancers but you never hear anything about it. breast cancer has pink, ovarian cancer has teal......you never see teal.

As far as sports team wearing pink in support. I think it is awesome. However, this is what I find ironic. Bob Kraft is the owner of the Patriots. Last year his own wife died of ovarian cancer. His players never wore teal at a game for ovarian cancer awareness.........but they wore pink for breast cancer.

I love the support for breast cancer..........I would LOVE a little support shown for other cancers........despite the fact that I am dealing with two, childhood cancer NEEDS some support.
__________________
New Hampshire
fortwildernessishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 142

Thank you for making my kind of cancer a "second hand" cancer. Wow really !!!!
And yes I know the pain losing a child family member. We walked behind a little white coffin and buried our two year old nephew who died from a brain tumor.

Last edited by Kaspar Houser; 10-06-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Kaspar Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran
 
sissy_ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Houser
Thank you for making my kind of cancer a "second hand" cancer. Wow really !!!!
And yes I know the pain losing a child family member. We walked behind a little white coffin and buried our two year old nephew who died from a brain tumor.
Those are your words. No one is asking for less suport of breast, or any kind of cancer. Just more for childhood cancer. I am very sorry for your family's loss.
__________________
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran
 
sissy_ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwildernessishome
Wonderful post!

At 3:00 today a sweet little 12 year old girl ended her fight against brain cancer. I became aware of this child and her family though the Dis boards when her Mom posted about their make-a-wish trip to Disney. This sweet child fought the beast of cancer for over three years.........I do not know the family personally, but my heart has been breaking for them. Childhood cancer is soooooo sad.

On a different note, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and uterine cancer in July of 2011. Ovarian cancer is often called the poor step sister to breast cancer. It is the most deadly of the female cancers but you never hear anything about it. breast cancer has pink, ovarian cancer has teal......you never see teal.

As far as sports team wearing pink in support. I think it is awesome. However, this is what I find ironic. Bob Kraft is the owner of the Patriots. Last year his own wife died of ovarian cancer. His players never wore teal at a game for ovarian cancer awareness.........but they wore pink for breast cancer.

I love the support for breast cancer..........I would LOVE a little support shown for other cancers........despite the fact that I am dealing with two, childhood cancer NEEDS some support.
I'm wondering if the Pats thing is because the NFL officially supports breast cancer awarness but not ovarian?? There may have been fines on the players for the uniform alterations or something of that nature.
__________________
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started
 
ladypage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Houser View Post
Thank you for making my kind of cancer a "second hand" cancer. Wow really !!!!
And yes I know the pain losing a child family member. We walked behind a little white coffin and buried our two year old nephew who died from a brain tumor.
Who in this thread has made any type of cancer a second hand cancer?

OP, I see exactly what you're saying. Don't get me wrong, I love that breast cancer gets press and that people are willing to work so hard to end it. I just wish that these other types would also draw as much attention, and people would work to end them in the same way. My friend's sister was killed by a tumor, so we definitely payed attention last month, and supported the cause.

And I may get flamed for this, but I don't normally go out of my way to support the Susan G. Komen group, as I know a lot of people in my area do. I disagree with some of their policies and tactics, and prefer to donate to groups that I know will actually help those suffering from cancer. Don't get me wrong, breast cancer has touched my family, and I would do anything be able to stop or take that pain away from them, but the Susan G. Komen group isn't how I help.
__________________

Former Epcot CM


PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
Aulika
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 98

Chosing color to taise awareness was a nice idea. But i hate that i feel like i have to choose which cause I support.
Why do we need to choose between fighting against leukemie, lymphoma, colon cancer, skin cancer ????
I know funding is limited but i hete to choose.
__________________
First Trip ASMu 10/2011
Second Trip Pop 12/2011
Hoping for Summer 2013
DLRP AP Holder since 2011
Aulika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
mom2travel
DIS Veteran
 
mom2travel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 2,403

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib

I'm wondering if the Pats thing is because the NFL officially supports breast cancer awarness but not ovarian?? There may have been fines on the players for the uniform alterations or something of that nature.
That's what I'm thinking.


It seems from what I've read that the money goes where the numbers are - more women diagnosed with breast cancer than children with cancer. But as the OP notes, the drugs & treatments are not in proportion. The daughter of one of our closest friends, who our kids consider a cousin, was diagnosed with leukemia in kindergarten; she is thankfully now in remission.

I know at least 3 children who are friends of friends who passed away in the last year due to different forms of cancer. It is heartbreaking. One of them lives near us, and I watched them fight their son's leukemia to the end, and saw the impact on their other children. Another family has set up a foundation to raise awareness and money for childhood cancers in their daughter's name after she died (4 months after diagnosis) from neuroblastoma. The pain their family has suffered is unimaginable.

Prayers to all who must fight the fight of cancer, regardless of age
__________________
Me, DH, DS, DD

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

SGK started somewhere, until someone really starts to bring awareness to other cancers they will always be in the foreground when it comes to advertised support (for lack of a better word). Someone, some group has to be extremely vocal about it because until then you only have people like you to make people aware. I had no idea that September was Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, and because of you I now do. Thank you.



Almost 300,000 people were diagnosed with breast cancer in 2012.
I found a stat that said on average 12,400 kids and adolescents are diagnosed each year. There are so many more people out there who have been personally effected by BC so its logical that there would be more awareness and monetary support for it.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran
 
fortwildernessishome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Houser View Post
Thank you for making my kind of cancer a "second hand" cancer. Wow really !!!!
And yes I know the pain losing a child family member. We walked behind a little white coffin and buried our two year old nephew who died from a brain tumor.
Not sure where you came up with "second hand" cancer, but I havent gotten that impression from anything that I have read here..........
__________________
New Hampshire
fortwildernessishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran
 
fortwildernessishome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
I'm wondering if the Pats thing is because the NFL officially supports breast cancer awarness but not ovarian?? There may have been fines on the players for the uniform alterations or something of that nature.
You are probably right.

I guess I just feel that since Bob Kraft is a millionaire and has a "voice" he has the tools to raise awareness.

The thing about ovarian cancer is over 80% of us that get it will die, and will most likely spend the rest of our time on earth fighting it. You need to have tons of healthy people raising money and planning fuctions like you see for breast cancer. Sadly, many cancers, such as childhood cancers, just dont have the strenght and power in numbers to do what breast cancer groups have done.

Its GREAT that so much has been done for breast cancer, just sad that it cant be done for all cancers.
__________________
New Hampshire
fortwildernessishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
SAHDad
DIS Veteran
 
SAHDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,207

FWIW - September was also prostate cancer awareness month. Don't know about anyone else, but I started seeing BC awareness ribbons and random pink stuff by the middle of Sept.

Quick Google hits - 230,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 57,650 non-invasive, and about 39,520 women in the U.S. were expected to die in 2011.

American Cancer Society estimates for prostate cancer in the United States are for 2012:

About 241,740 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed
About 28,170 men will die of prostate cancer

BC is a 1 in 8 lifetime risk (for invasive), PC is a 1 in 6.

BC isn't a second-hand cancer - but at this time of the year, when it seems like anything that can be made pink, is; all the other cancers feel somewhat second-hand in comparison.
__________________
One of the MouseQuest podcast gang! Find it on iTunes.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran
 
fortwildernessishome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
FWIW - September was also prostate cancer awareness month. Don't know about anyone else, but I started seeing BC awareness ribbons and random pink stuff by the middle of Sept.

Quick Google hits - 230,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 57,650 non-invasive, and about 39,520 women in the U.S. were expected to die in 2011.

American Cancer Society estimates for prostate cancer in the United States are for 2012:

About 241,740 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed
About 28,170 men will die of prostate cancer

BC is a 1 in 8 lifetime risk (for invasive), PC is a 1 in 6.

BC isn't a second-hand cancer - but at this time of the year, when it seems like anything that can be made pink, is; all the other cancers feel somewhat second-hand in comparison.
Great post!
__________________
New Hampshire
fortwildernessishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: