Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
nancy155
DIS Veteran
 
nancy155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 517

We are here at Silver Lake right now. We usually try and exchange at WBC, however were unable to obtain a week during Thanksgiving this year. I am SO PLEASED!!! The location in my opinion is better than WBC as you are right at AK pretty much and so easy to get anywhere and easy to find your way back. I seemed to always get turned around when trying to find our way back to WBC.. It is easy to get to Disney Parks, easy to get to restaurants on 192.. as property boarders each! Will be planning to stay here again and I believe we have found a hidden Gem of a resort! Should be Gold Crown... They offer "free" midweek housekeeping and will give you additional supplies as needed at no extra charge. They do charge a fee for internet services, and I was willing to pay the fee and this Internet was more reliable than WBC, just my opinion. This does not mean we won't stay at WBC again as I do like that you can see the fireworks from property etc.

Both properties have their pluses and minuses I would not hesitate to stay at either property, closest to on site as one can get!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards Nancy
__________________
Me , DS
nancy155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran
 
haPevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy155 View Post
We are here at Silver Lake right now. We usually try and exchange at WBC, however were unable to obtain a week during Thanksgiving this year. I am SO PLEASED!!! The location in my opinion is better than WBC as you are right at AK pretty much and so easy to get anywhere and easy to find your way back. I seemed to always get turned around when trying to find our way back to WBC.. It is easy to get to Disney Parks, easy to get to restaurants on 192.. as property boarders each! Will be planning to stay here again and I believe we have found a hidden Gem of a resort! Should be Gold Crown... They offer "free" midweek housekeeping and will give you additional supplies as needed at no extra charge. They do charge a fee for internet services, and I was willing to pay the fee and this Internet was more reliable than WBC, just my opinion. This does not mean we won't stay at WBC again as I do like that you can see the fireworks from property etc.

Both properties have their pluses and minuses I would not hesitate to stay at either property, closest to on site as one can get!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards Nancy
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this! We have upçoming trips planned at both locations. So excited to be staying at 2 great resorts and saving so much money at the same time (by not staying onsite during holiday seasons)
__________________
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 411

We'll be at Silver Lake in early Feb., for our 30th anniversary, wth our 3 children and their families. Looking forward to it!

Can you tell me, is there a zero-entry pool for the toddlers? Or a kiddie pool?

Thanks.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Disney Ella
DIS Veteran
 
Disney Ella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: northeast
Posts: 3,984

Some of the recent TripAdvisor reviews mention that the walls are very thin at Silver Lake. Did any of you notice this?
Disney Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
nancy155
DIS Veteran
 
nancy155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Ella View Post
Some of the recent TripAdvisor reviews mention that the walls are very thin at Silver Lake. Did any of you notice this?
I never heard our neighbors once. Was quite quiet and some day's we did not leave the resort until around 10:30 am. Occassionally we did hear those above us. I think they had little kiddos who liked to run around and pull the dining chairs in and out from under the table. But it was not unbearable.
__________________
Me , DS
nancy155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran
 
haPevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 683

Posting to get this thread back in circulation. Any recent reviews of Silver Lake? We loved WBC ovet NYE and are booked at Silver Lake for spring break.

And happy to notice that this is my 500th post making me officially a DIS Veteran Seems like a small amount compared to others with thousands of posts and far more knowledge than I have. Thanks to all who share their expertise on these boards!
__________________
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015

Last edited by haPevraftr; 01-24-2013 at 08:27 PM.
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #22
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,718

We just got back from silver lake and had a lovely time. Nice clean rooms. Internet was $25 but was a decent connection. We went to see mib3 at their little movie theater and had fun, and the kids played tons of ping pong.
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #23
trishwal
Convince me to take our family to Disneyland.
 
trishwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 136

Two of the three resorts we've stayed at are WBC and Silver Lake - we were there in 2003 when the carpet was GREEN (WBC was last summer). Third was a townhome we rented at Windsor Hills. Kids say that was the best, but they were 6 and 10 in the "magical" years, for what that's worth.

I liked that at Silver Lake we were able to park pretty much in front of the condo. It wasn't anything special, but the pool seemed HUGE and very ample for the amount of guests there. If you're driving to the parks, Silver Lake is a good choice. Otherwise WBC buses are nice.

We had 7 people in a 2 bedroom at Silver Lake and it never felt crowded (granted, two of those at the time were 2 and 6). If you want a more resort feel I'd choose WBC but if you're more of a comfy-cozy type you'll find that Silver Lake meets your needs as well.

Both have AWESOME drive times to the park and keep you in the Disney bubble more or less, though you'll be less likely to have to deal with the Irlo Bronson SignFest at WBC and just do your grocery shopping at WalMart.
__________________
1984 - First Disney World Visit at age 14
1992 - Disney World Honeymoon with my new husband!
2003 - Disney World with the in-laws, DS's 6th birthday at AK and DD age 2
2007 - 7 day Disney World with DS-10 and DD-6
2012 - 2 Days onsite at Universal and 3 Days Disney at Bonnet Creek DS-15, DD-11
2014 - 13 of us (parents, siblings, and all our kids) 4-Day WDW staying in a 7 BR Emerald Island villa
trishwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #24
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran
 
haPevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishwal View Post
Two of the three resorts we've stayed at are WBC and Silver Lake - we were there in 2003 when the carpet was GREEN (WBC was last summer). Third was a townhome we rented at Windsor Hills. Kids say that was the best, but they were 6 and 10 in the "magical" years, for what that's worth.

I liked that at Silver Lake we were able to park pretty much in front of the condo. It wasn't anything special, but the pool seemed HUGE and very ample for the amount of guests there. If you're driving to the parks, Silver Lake is a good choice. Otherwise WBC buses are nice.

We had 7 people in a 2 bedroom at Silver Lake and it never felt crowded (granted, two of those at the time were 2 and 6). If you want a more resort feel I'd choose WBC but if you're more of a comfy-cozy type you'll find that Silver Lake meets your needs as well.

Both have AWESOME drive times to the park and keep you in the Disney bubble more or less, though you'll be less likely to have to deal with the Irlo Bronson SignFest at WBC and just do your grocery shopping at WalMart.
Your post makes me smile b/c I also rate my offsite experience based on how easily I can remain in the bubble and avoid the offsite commercialization. We loved WBC, as well.
__________________
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #25
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,718

Super target and public are just around the. En from black lake drive. so not too bad if you have to shop.

I agree about the easy parking and the pool was nice.

I haven't stayed at WBC though.
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #26
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran
 
haPevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
We'll be at Silver Lake in early Feb., for our 30th anniversary, wth our 3 children and their families. Looking forward to it!

Can you tell me, is there a zero-entry pool for the toddlers? Or a kiddie pool?

Thanks.
Hoping that you will give us a full report about Silver Lake when you return!
__________________
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #27
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,718

There is a zero entry pool.
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #28
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.
 
Friendly Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,562

What is WBC?
It's been years since we stayed at Silver Lake, but we enjoyed it.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #29
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran
 
haPevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Frog View Post
What is WBC?
It's been years since we stayed at Silver Lake, but we enjoyed it.
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
__________________
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #30
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
There is a zero entry pool.
Thanks! That will be great news for my daughter, who has an 8-month old, and a 2-1/2 year old!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Frog View Post
What is WBC?
It's been years since we stayed at Silver Lake, but we enjoyed it.
WBC is Wyndham Bonnet Creek, and it has a rabid fan base here at the DIS. I've never stayed there.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.