Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Lizboo
DIS Veteran

Talking Our HHN Experience (SPOILERS)

So this year, we did the S&S on the first Saturday and we were at Finnigans. The first house we hit when we were allowed was Silent Hill (I thought the movie was just weird and I have never seen the video game, but we were both very suprized at how awesome the house was), then off to Gothic (which was by far my favorite house because of the scareactors and the amazing set- I thought gargoyle make up would be bad, man was I wrong), Dead End (I got my biggest scare in the green room - and PLEASE look up in the library...so cool). This is the house with the queasy tunnel, which I am happy to say was modifed and not nearly as bad as it has been in the past.

Then we were off to the Walking Dead, which was really great but kinda short and because there is no roof, the house wasn't dark (but it was still awesome). We had plans to get back and do this again once it was dark, but by then the wait times were crazy.

We were walking by where Bill and Ted was around the time of the first show, but decided to tackle the houses and come back. Next on the list was Penn and Teller (the video on the outside was not working- the audio was but not the video). It was a super cool house.

Next was Alice Cooper- my hubby got his biggest jump right as you entered the house. Its true that normally you work your way in before you get jumped at and this one is wild, crazy and right when you enter (and very effective). Hubby liked the house more than me (he's a huge fan). I liked the first and last room the best.

We then decided to go see Bill and Ted, which we both liked but we didn't think it was the best version of the show we had ever seen.

Lastly, we went to do the House of Horrors, which is one I was really looking forward to. Apparently, there was an accident and it added 45 minutes to our wait time. We saw the ambulance leave and shortly after, the line started to move. I liked the house OK but the scareactors just kinda stood there for the most part. It was so dark in the house, their masks had glow in the dark paint on them. The best room was the last one.

We wanted to go back and do Walking Dead, but the line was stupid long and it was late and we were both tired.

We liked the event so much, I called the following week and the agent on the phone upgraded our S&S to a Rush of Fear. We went straight to Silent Hill and there were even more scareactors this time. We waited about 30 minutes.

Then we headed to Gothic, which I loved and it was even better the second time around. Instead of being on the look out for bad guys, I saw and enjoyed the house. The last gargoyle on a wire is absolutely incredible. The wait said 20 minutes- well it was more than an hour.

By the time we got out, Dead End was at 80 minutes. Sigh. I looked at my watch and it was almost 9. I suggested we walk through the scarezones (these were the weakest....not really themes at all...and we saw the chainsaw prison ladies marching twice...but never fired up the chainsaws...maybe because of the high price of gas??)

We also watched the "show" on the water. We decided to go see the 20 Penny Circus, which was just OK. If I had it to do over again, I would have skipped this and waited in the long line for the Walking Dead. We headed to the Penn and Teller area...that was also a crazy line. We decided to ride MIB. We checked out the wait times on the rest of the houses (75 minutes plus) and walked through the rest of the scare zones. I suggested going back to Alice or trying the Walking Dead, but it was midnight and hubby was tired and our flight was the next day.

December 2012 Wilderness Lodge/September 2012CBR/September 2011 Riverside/August 2011 DLP Kyriad/
September 2010 Wilderness Lodge/August 2010 Grand Californian/December 2009 All Star Movies/
Oct 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter/Sept 2008 Port Orleans Riverside/Sept 2007 Carribean Beach Resort
May 2006 ASMovies/ASMusic/May 2000 -2005 Offsite
Lizboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Great review and I agree with your assessments of the sound stage houses. Gothic and Dead End are both must see houses.

Glad you had a great time!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Lizboo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Great review and I agree with your assessments of the sound stage houses. Gothic and Dead End are both must see houses.

Glad you had a great time!
Thanks so much...we definitely plan on doing it more than once next year too...so much fun!

December 2012 Wilderness Lodge/September 2012CBR/September 2011 Riverside/August 2011 DLP Kyriad/
September 2010 Wilderness Lodge/August 2010 Grand Californian/December 2009 All Star Movies/
Oct 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter/Sept 2008 Port Orleans Riverside/Sept 2007 Carribean Beach Resort
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

What time were you released from the holding areas when you went? We were released at 5:45pm this past Sunday which is really early.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Lizboo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What time were you released from the holding areas when you went? We were released at 5:45pm this past Sunday which is really early.
5:50 on the dot...we were in the Walking Dead by the time the gates open...so awesome

On the Friday, I heard from some AP people in line that they were allowed in at 5...I didn`t know anything about that (not that I am AP, but still).

Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizboo View Post
On the Friday, I heard from some AP people in line that they were allowed in at 5...I didn`t know anything about that (not that I am AP, but still).
Hmmm...I hadn't heard anything about passholders getting in early. I'll have to check on that this weekend.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Hmmm...I hadn't heard anything about passholders getting in early. I'll have to check on that this weekend.
It's over. It was on September 21, 22, 28, and 29. at Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone from 5:00pm – 6:30pm.

They let you tour 3 houses.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
It's over. It was on September 21, 22, 28, and 29. at Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone from 5:00pm – 6:30pm.

They let you tour 3 houses.
I heard about that but I thought she was talking about something else. The passholder party is always lame.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: