Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
*TheWigs*
Mouseketeer

Question Sazerac at Port Orleans?

We will be going to WDW June 2013 or 2 weeks staying at BLT..plan on taking the extra time to slow down and explore a bit. One of our plans would be to go to DTD the looong way via walk to MK, bus to POR, then boat to DTD. We stayed at POR several years ago and loved it so much it inspired a recent trip to NOLA So my question is...has anyone ordered a sazerac there at the bar @POR? It's not on the menu, but being that the sazerac is THE drink (well, that and the hurricaine!) of NOLA, I would hope the bartender would know what I was talking about? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

I must say, I am only 36 years old so not much of an Old Fashioned drinker, but I have lived in or near New Orleans my entire life and I have never seen anyone drink or order a Sazerac .

If it was me, I would print the drink recipe and bring it with me to offer to the bartender. Speaking from a food standpoint, the food they offer is not close to what we serve/cook in New Orleans. They call it po-boys, jamabalaya etc., but is a far stretch from anything you would find on any menu here.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your stay.
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
*TheWigs*
Mouseketeer

Thank you! We visited NOLA with an emphasis of finding the history and fun off the beaten path...it turned out to be one of our best getaways ever!! The Sazerac is one of those drinks that isn't a "quick-make" at a bar so isn't served everywhere...but boy, it was good and I searched it out everyplace I could!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
I must say, I am only 36 years old so not much of an Old Fashioned drinker, but I have lived in or near New Orleans my entire life and I have never seen anyone drink or order a Sazerac .
Funny. I went to R'Evolution when it first opened a few months ago with some locals, and two of the three of them odered Sazeracs noting that any new high-end restaurant in NOLA had to have a bar that could make a great Sazerac. I, not being from there, had no idea what they were talking about. But I watched the bartender make them, and pretty much knew that it wasn't something that I would enjoy. I really don't like anything with anise or licorice flavor, except fresh fennel. (The restaurant was amazing, by the way.)

OP: Can't help you with your question, but I am sure that the bartender can either make you one, or find out how, as long as they have a well-stocked bar.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

You might want to ask on the POR thread on the Resorts board. There are a few who stay there frequently and our thread host Andre is very knowledgeable.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
7165red
DIS Veteran

I just googled sazerac and it's very interesting. The first time I heard of this drink was on the HBO show Treme.
7165red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Ms Marigny
Born under a bad sign

Born and bred New Orleanian here, and I've ordered and consumed many sazerac's in my time.

Making a good sazerac takes a certain amount of skill, so if the bartender isn't used to making them, it may not be very good. It is the Peychaud's bitters that is a must in the sazerac, and I doubt they'd stock it there unless sazerac's were specifically on the menu. Ask the bartender if they stock it, if so, go for it. If not, I'd pass on it because it wouldn't be the same without the bitters.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TheWigs* View Post
So my question is...has anyone ordered a sazerac there at the bar @POR? It's not on the menu, but being that the sazerac is THE drink (well, that and the hurricaine!) of NOLA, I would hope the bartender would know what I was talking about? Thanks in advance!
Touringplan.com claims that you can get a sazerac at Scat Cat's or River Roost. I suspect it's about as accurate as most WDW mixed drinks are. That is, if you like it a particular way - be specific with your bartender.
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
*TheWigs*
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
You might want to ask on the POR thread on the Resorts board. There are a few who stay there frequently and our thread host Andre is very knowledgeable.
Thank you for the tip...just posted there!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
*TheWigs*
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Funny. I went to R'Evolution when it first opened a few months ago with some locals, and two of the three of them odered Sazeracs noting that any new high-end restaurant in NOLA had to have a bar that could make a great Sazerac. I, not being from there, had no idea what they were talking about. But I watched the bartender make them, and pretty much knew that it wasn't something that I would enjoy. I really don't like anything with anise or licorice flavor, except fresh fennel. (The restaurant was amazing, by the way.)

OP: Can't help you with your question, but I am sure that the bartender can either make you one, or find out how, as long as they have a well-stocked bar.
We ate at R'evolution as well... PHENOMENAL! We also dined at Commander's Palace. Those were 2 of the best dining experiences we have EVER had!!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
*TheWigs*
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Marigny View Post
Born and bred New Orleanian here, and I've ordered and consumed many sazerac's in my time.

Making a good sazerac takes a certain amount of skill, so if the bartender isn't used to making them, it may not be very good. It is the Peychaud's bitters that is a must in the sazerac, and I doubt they'd stock it there unless sazerac's were specifically on the menu. Ask the bartender if they stock it, if so, go for it. If not, I'd pass on it because it wouldn't be the same without the bitters.
I'm telling you I LOVED this drink so much it might be worth it to bring my own bottle of Peychaud's!

On another note, your city was SO filled with tradition, history, and hospitality! We ADORED New Orleans!! I have never travelled anywhere that the locals were so friendly! Any where we stopped, we met someone to talk with...it was like no one was a stranger! I will say, tho that I was really surprised at how busy Bourbon Street was every night! Our first night there we partied like we were in our 20's...and paid dearly the next day! My DH learned a hard and fast first-timer lesson...NEVER drink TWO Hurricanes in a row!!

Last edited by *TheWigs*; 10-04-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added "We adored New Orleans"
*TheWigs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Disney 4 2
Mouseketeer

Sazerac

Rye Whiskey, Peychaud bitters, Absinthe, Sugar cube poured through a strainer. The bartenders at the Sazerac Bar inside the Rossevelt Hotel in NOLA gave me the recipe. My DH and I drank them every night for 1 week last year. We tried several bars and restaurants. If the bartender does not have the technique it makes a big difference. We spent a year trying to find the correct bitters and Absinthe to make our own (which we have not yet). I would like to hear if Port Orleans can fix a good one ! We love that resort.

FYI: Absinthe is a hallucinogenic drank by Van Gogh and thought to be the reason he cut off his ear.

1986 OFF-SITE 1993 ALL STAR SPORTS
2000 PORT ORLEANS/CRUISE
2003 WILDERNESS LODGE 2005 AKL CONCIERGE
2007 BWI CONCIERGE 2008 HARD ROCK US & IOA 2009 AKL CONCIERGE 2010 ALL STAR MUSIC
2011 ROYAL PACIFIC AND PORT ORLEANS
2012 BWI CONCIERGE & HARD ROCK HOTEL
2014 PORT ORLEANS
Disney 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
Ms Marigny
Born under a bad sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TheWigs* View Post
I'm telling you I LOVED this drink so much it might be worth it to bring my own bottle of Peychaud's!

On another note, your city was SO filled with tradition, history, and hospitality! We ADORED New Orleans!! I have never travelled anywhere that the locals were so friendly! Any where we stopped, we met someone to talk with...it was like no one was a stranger! I will say, tho that I was really surprised at how busy Bourbon Street was every night! Our first night there we partied like we were in our 20's...and paid dearly the next day! My DH learned a hard and fast first-timer lesson...NEVER drink TWO Hurricanes in a row!!
I'm glad y'all had a good time! People tend to either love or hate New Orleans- it is so nice to hear someone loving it!

Gotta watch those Hurricanes...like nectar going down, but hell to pay the next day. I learned my lesson after consuming a bit too much myself...you won't make that mistake again, lol!

Good luck with the sazerac at Port Orleans (I'll be at POR myself in 9 days- woo hoo!)
Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney 4 2 View Post
We spent a year trying to find the correct bitters and Absinthe to make our own (which we have not yet). I would like to hear if Port Orleans can fix a good one ! We love that resort.
West Virginia seems to be like North Carolina - you can only buy in-state what is on the approved list.

The Knightly Spirits near WDW probably carries both absinthe and pechauds, and you could take it home in your luggage. A pretty small bottle (ours is 100ml) goes a long way. You might be able to get Herbsainte or a pastis locally that would sub, too.
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
Disney 4 2
Mouseketeer

The Knightly Spirits near WDW probably carries both absinthe and pechauds, and you could take it home in your luggage. A pretty small bottle (ours is 100ml) goes a long way. You might be able to get Herbsainte or a pastis locally that would sub, too.[/QUOTE]

We found the bitters at Buffalo Trace in KY while on the Bourbon trail. They have a Sazerac recipe also. Herbsainte was introduced when they band the making of Absinthe from wormwood

Generation Woodstock goes Disney hippie::

1986 OFF-SITE 1993 ALL STAR SPORTS
2000 PORT ORLEANS/CRUISE
2003 WILDERNESS LODGE 2005 AKL CONCIERGE
2007 BWI CONCIERGE 2008 HARD ROCK US & IOA 2009 AKL CONCIERGE 2010 ALL STAR MUSIC
2011 ROYAL PACIFIC AND PORT ORLEANS
2012 BWI CONCIERGE & HARD ROCK HOTEL
2014 PORT ORLEANS
Disney 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: