Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Danny K
DIS Veteran

Biergarten vs San Angel Inn

Which has better food quality? I have never been to either, and wondering which to try for dinner. I need a good choice because I will not come again for 5 years. I also want to know about seating. Do they both have indoor, and outdoor seating? I know at biergarten I will be sitting with strangers. Can you please explain both about indoor and outdoor seating to? I like both of their menu's.
Danny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Both have indoor seating only. Biergarten is going to be a noisy, festive buffet with a band, dance floor for the kids, huge beers for purchase. San Angel is dark, quiet with a menu rather than all you can eat.

I'm not a fan of San Angel's food but that is just my opinion based on too many great meals in Mexico. I have not been in 3 years so it could have changed in that time. Biergarten's food was better than I had expected (the first time we went is because my son begged to go and I was dreading it) and we have dined here a few times, the most recent was 10 months ago. We don't do the dining plan so I find it a bit pricey for an OOP meal because we are not big eaters.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Both restaurants are indoor. The outdoor areas are CS.

Biergarten: My DH loves German beer, so he is in heaven here. We both enjoy the variety of the foods on the buffet, and find it a very good quality- very similar to the food we enjoyed while living in Germany.

San Angel is not a favourite- we prefer the food at La Hacienda. I've eaten much better Mexican food elsewhere. And while I know that the OP prefers not to have discussions about the ambiance or "experience" at a restaurant, I am compelled to comment about the low lighting levels at this place. I understand that it is all part of the mood that they are trying to create, but when I need to use a pen light to read the menu.....
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Biergarten food was good. I wasnt crazy about some of the meat textures thou. Besides the meat, the rest of the food was good. Some dishes were incredible. I loved the communal seating. We had great table mates. It was fun. The band was entertaining.

Both places are very different. I guess you have to first decide on the type of cuisine you want, and if you want quiet or loud.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Danny K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Biergarten food was good. I wasnt crazy about some of the meat textures thou. Besides the meat, the rest of the food was good. Some dishes were incredible. I loved the communal seating. We had great table mates. It was fun. The band was entertaining.

Both places are very different. I guess you have to first decide on the type of cuisine you want, and if you want quiet or loud.
Which is loud, and which is quiet?
Danny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
wood8176
Mouseketeer

Volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Which is loud, and which is quiet?
Biergarten=Loud
San Angel=Quiet

wood8176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

I like them both. I prefer the atmosphere of San Angel and the food of Biergarten We had the most perfect table at San Angel last December, right by the water. It was beautiful and quiet. I got the tortilla soup and beef tacos (I believe both are on the appetizer menu). The soup was just okay. I've had better. The tacos were so extremely chewy I thought I was going to choke trying to swallow them down. We had great service, though. Biergarten is noisier and I like the food (especially the Bavarian cheesecake), but if you're in a smaller group the communal seating can be uncomfortable if it's not something that interests you.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Biergaten is louder than San Angel. And as far as seating goes, unless you have a very large party, you will be paired up with others at Biergarten. But at San Angel, while you will have your own table, it will be so obnoxiously close to two or three other tables around you, it will feel like you have been paired up with others!

I don't give the nod, food-wise, to either place. I enjoy various types of wursts and sauerkraut, so I am always satisfied with Biergarten, but I certainly wouldn't rave about it. Sort of the converse of Pakey, I have had way too many good meals in Germany, Switzerland and Austria to be terribly impressed with Biergartedn, but I don't dislike it. San Angel is not your typical "Chili's" or "Chevy's" Mexican menu, but the dishes there seem to be on par with banquet or wedding food. Too mass-produced for my taste. But again, I don't dislike it. I just wish it were better.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
PrincessEmilyRuth
Earning My Ears

I would go with Biergarten. The service is similar in both places, but I actually think the quick service food at La Cantina de San Angel is better than the food at San Angel Inn. Biergarten is just a really fun experience, and of the half dozen times I've eaten there, I've only ever had one experience where the people I was sitting with were less than friendly, and even then I think they were just shy.
PrincessEmilyRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

We like Biergarten more...The food is better, the communal seating fun.The band was awesome and we had great beers.It was fun for the whole family
San Angel- Our table was wedged in between 2 others, the food was not so good and our server we never saw the whole time.We liked the ambiance of the restaurant.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

It just so happens that we tried both of these restaurants this past trip for the first time. Although I really like both, my wife wasn't really into the biergarten as much. Not so much because of the ambience but because she's not a meat eater. As pp's stated they are 2 very different experiences. You'll need to look into which 1 suit you more, but both are above average though. Good luck

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
rowanb73
Earning My Ears

Both are pleasant places to eat, but for very different reasons. I assume you've looked at the menus and would be comfortable eating in either places. The German buffet at Biergarten is not light (good Bavarian food never is), but for me (a meat eater) I found some of the better buffet food I've eaten in Disney World. The San Angel Inn menu is not the Mexican fare that most chain restaurants serve, but I enjoyed eating there. For folks who aren't that adventurous they used to have a really good skirt steak.

As others have mentioned, there is no outdoor seating in either location, though the inside of the Mexican pavilion is designed to look like it is outside. I found both places to be on the loud side and San Angel Inn is very dark (we dropped something on the floor during the meal and needed a flashlight to find it). That said, if you're near the river (we were) it offers as good a view as you'll have dining indoors. If you would prefer a view of World Showcase Lagoon and a brighter atmosphere, then I would suggest La Hacienda de San Angel (the table service restaurant outside the pyramid).
rowanb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Our meal at San Angel Inn was the worst food and service I have ever had, in or out of WDW. I would never go back there.

We tried Biergarden this year and liked it. The Ompah band was super fun. It is expensive and a buffet, but we liked the food. The kids are more picky and had a harder time finding food they liked. I loved the cauliflower soup, homemade bread. I thought the chicken was greasy. DH liked the beer, sauerkraut, bratwurst and sauerbraten. It was worth checking out, but we won't be going there again.

We really liked Cape May at BC, awesome seafood buffet. Well worth the price and tons of food for every person's taste.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

I vote for the Biergarten. We did San Angel once and that was enough. I like the setting, but everyone seems packed in there like sardines. We have made the Biergarten a must-do every trip. We usually go for an early dinner so it is never too crowded or too loud - usually have a 4:30 ADR which is when dinner starts and the band usually starts at 4:45. They played cow bells last time which I thought was very interesting. We like the food, except for the German meatloaf, but everything else was good.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Which has better food quality? I have never been to either, and wondering which to try for dinner. I need a good choice because I will not come again for 5 years. I also want to know about seating. Do they both have indoor, and outdoor seating? I know at biergarten I will be sitting with strangers. Can you please explain both about indoor and outdoor seating to? I like both of their menu's.
You already read about the seating, quieter (and that's a very relative thing at DW restaurants, isn't it? hah!) but I'm glad you like both menus becasue we feel the same way. Obviously, San Angel is not your typical Mexican-American menu, and we've had many delicious meals in that very special and unique setting. It's great.

Biergarten has DELICIOUS food, also. It's a lot of fun, with the seating and music can be a lot more lively for sure, and when I leave I can't wait to go back.

We do both. For us, no trip is complete without the two of them, so if possible I'd suggest that for anyone.

Regardless, I know you will have a great time!!

Last edited by Dizzytime; 10-04-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Edit for stupid spelling
Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: