Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #31
Sgtfox
Earning My Ears

Glad it worked out for you. As an attorney, I'm curious - Was it the State or the Defense that subpoenaed you? Also, did they just release you or provide for an alternative, such as telephonic testimony?
Sgtfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #32
Sallimander
Earning My Ears

It was for the defense, they wanted me to talk about my charting (I am an ER nurse). And they just released me with no alternative & told me to have a fun trip!
Sallimander is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #33
AJ1983
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallimander View Post
It was for the defense, they wanted me to talk about my charting (I am an ER nurse). And they just released me with no alternative & told me to have a fun trip!
Chances are they reviewed your file and realized they could enter your evidence (ie your charts) in through another witness. If you were a material witness, they would have made application to postpone the trial until you were available. Under no circumstance would you as a witness be expected to give up your planned vacation.

However, its not a conflict for you to be a witness due to your husband's job. As a witness you stick to the facts. As a potential juror, you would
be excused as a conflict because you can't be expected to make an impartial decision. As a witness, you aren't deciding anything, and you are obliged to tell the truth.

Enjoy your trip!!

AJ1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #34
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I am sooooooo happy that things worked out for you!

Have a GREAT vacation!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #35
mommy2paisley
DIS Veteran

I haven't read all the responses, so if this has been mentioned already, sorry.

I am a court reporter and we do depositions ALL THE TIME of doctors or people from out of town or all kinds of different situations where the person can't appear in court for whatever reason. I would request they do that or see if they can postpone it! Usually, there is ALWAYS a way around these types of things.....you just gotta get someone on board to do it! LOL

Next Disney vacation is two whole weeks starting Labor Day weekend!!!
mommy2paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #36
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
Off topic:

I read that some courts were having trouble with juries because the general public expects forensic evidence to be as precise and as definitive as it appears on shows like CSI.
I've heard the same thing.

OP, I hope you get some Pixie Dust sent your way and everything works out for you.

ETA: Apparently you have everything worked out! That will teach me to post without reading!

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #37
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallimander View Post
So I planned a nice adult vacation for me and my hubby...we leave for WDW in 5 days...but today I went into work & got a subpoena to a jury trial that starts 10/9 ( the day we leave). I am a nurse and now have to testify for a man who is being charged with battery to law enforcement. This is a conflict of interest for me as I am married to a police officer. Am I really mandated to go? What will happen if I don't go? I am waiting for the lawyer to call me back...need some good vibes sent my way please!!

I thought, as long as you had proof and it is your first summons, you could postpone it.

You certainly can't just not turn up.
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #38
lilouisianagal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
OT question though: why does your marriage make this a conflict of interest? If I was a witness to a teacher being murdered, is the fact that my wife is a teacher a conflict of interest?
The conflict of interest would apply more if she was summoned for jury duty than being summoned to serve as a witness. In the case of serving on a jury though, the thought process is that she would be biased to trust police officers' testimonies over other witnesses or evidence because she knows (and presumably trusts) her husband and his fellow officers. You can still be chosen if you testify that that relationship will not affect your opinion (though you could still be nixed if you knew anyone testifying.

DisneyLand Hotel 1988 Carribean Beach 1992, 1995, 2006, 2007 , 2009 Dixie Landings 1997, 1999Port Orleans 2002 Off Site: MissionAir 2004 Disney Cruise Line (Honeymoon on the Wonder): May 24-28, 2009 Pop Century 2011 Disney Cruise Line: May 27- June 1, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort 2013
lilouisianagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #39
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

I think I'd stay a few nights in jail before I'd cancel my Disney vacation!!!!
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #40
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock View Post
I thought, as long as you had proof and it is your first summons, you could postpone it.

You certainly can't just not turn up.
She was subpoenaed to testify at a trial. This is not jury duty.
Maggie'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #41
Babette01
Earning My Ears

Sorry Magpie! I'll do better next time.

Last edited by Babette01; 10-06-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Answer above.
Babette01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #42
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

The thread is only three pages long, folks! It doesn't take much to at least scan for updates from the OP.

Spoiler: The OP is going to Disney!
Magpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #43
Momofone92
Mouseketeer

I am an attorney. I am also a Disney fan LOL They exist

This question is completely jurisdictional and will depend on the parties involved including the judge, attorneys and the number of contuances previously granted. My advice- call the attorney- the one whose side you are testifying for
Momofone92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #44
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilouisianagal View Post
The conflict of interest would apply more if she was summoned for jury duty than being summoned to serve as a witness. In the case of serving on a jury though, the thought process is that she would be biased to trust police officers' testimonies over other witnesses or evidence because she knows (and presumably trusts) her husband and his fellow officers. You can still be chosen if you testify that that relationship will not affect your opinion (though you could still be nixed if you knew anyone testifying.
First, congrats OP! Glad it worked out for you!!

Though this was a subpoena and NOT jury duty... but in the case of jury duty, you're right that you could theoretically be chosen. BUT... If I'm the defense attorney, I'm nixing you. I say this as the daughter of a police officer who has NEVER been put on a jury despite numerous jury duty summons.

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: