Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Buyers Guilt

I went to the mall with a friend today, and I spent about $90. At the time, I was happy with my purchases. But now I feel so guilty and want to return everything. Does this happen to anyone else?

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

I used to feel guilty every time I purchased something for myself. Now I hardly ever buy anything for "me"...just things for the house.

I try to just go window shopping most of the time now, and if an item is still on my mind a couple of weeks later I might go and get it. I never impulse buy.

My husband still makes fun of me when I do buy something saying that I better not return it. lol
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
PrincessMommy05
Mouseketeer

Haha all the time. I am pretty good though and unless it's something I really need I generally am good about returning it.
PrincessMommy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Fjobe
DIS Veteran

I have very bad buyers guilt. Before we started our budget (4 years ago), I even felt guilty after buying groceries. I still don't like spending money, but it is more comfortable knowing it's already in the budget.

Fjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
HomeiswhereMickeyis
When can I go back?

My favorite pastime is finding tons of stuff in a store that I want/need then walking towards the register, stopping, thinking, and putting it all back! Hubby thinks it's hilarious but just takes note of it and tries to get me those things for Christmas, Birthday, etc.

~~~~
First trip in '87 too many to count since...
Trips together: Wonder {Bahamas}-10, POP Century-April 12, Coranado Springs {Anniversary trip} - August 12

HomeiswhereMickeyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
jgreco
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeiswhereMickeyis View Post
My favorite pastime is finding tons of stuff in a store that I want/need then walking towards the register, stopping, thinking, and putting it all back! Hubby thinks it's hilarious but just takes note of it and tries to get me those things for Christmas, Birthday, etc.
I do the same thing. LOL
I also try not to go shopping with anyone. I find I spend way more.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

I feel guilty every time I spend on clothes or decor at a place other than a thrift shop. Spending $10 for a kids shirt vs $1 or $2 for a kids shirt bothers me. But if I need something specific, then I have to get over it.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

It has been almost a year since I was at the mall. I rarely go shopping, unless it is grocery's or things I need other than the grocery store. I haven't even bought clothes in long time.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

nope, not a bit
Old 11-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
pfalcioni
If we're not Riding, we're Disney Dreaming!

I worked retail for many years, and we had plenty of customers who would do what we called "recreational shopping". These are ladies who come in every week, spend tons of time trying on clothes and usually purchasing quite a bit. The following week they'd be back and return everything, usually going to a different part of the store for the returns so they didn't have to face their original clerk.

It was sometimes frustrating, as we worked on commission, and some salespeople felt these customers were time wasters. I never felt that way, and was happy to help. Keep in mind these women would come in every week, and spend at least an hour with a salesperson.

The most prevalent "over-buyers" occur when there's a "ladies night out" and we'd have 3 or 4 gals together who'd be shopping after a nice dinner together. I know they'd all probably buy a bit more than they wanted to, and I was always happy when they'd come back a few days later and return the items because then I felt they had the fun of shopping without breaking the bank. None of the other salespeople I worked with EVER had negative things to say about this kind of shopper.

Sounds like you're in this last category - if these are items that you won't use, or they're not in your budget, return them without worry - no one will judge you!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
jgreco
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
I worked retail for many years, and we had plenty of customers who would do what we called "recreational shopping". These are ladies who come in every week, spend tons of time trying on clothes and usually purchasing quite a bit. The following week they'd be back and return everything, usually going to a different part of the store for the returns so they didn't have to face their original clerk.

It was sometimes frustrating, as we worked on commission, and some salespeople felt these customers were time wasters. I never felt that way, and was happy to help. Keep in mind these women would come in every week, and spend at least an hour with a salesperson.

The most prevalent "over-buyers" occur when there's a "ladies night out" and we'd have 3 or 4 gals together who'd be shopping after a nice dinner together. I know they'd all probably buy a bit more than they wanted to, and I was always happy when they'd come back a few days later and return the items because then I felt they had the fun of shopping without breaking the bank. None of the other salespeople I worked with EVER had negative things to say about this kind of shopper.

Sounds like you're in this last category - if these are items that you won't use, or they're not in your budget, return them without worry - no one will judge you!
My cousin works for a high-end department store based on commission and her feelings are contrary to yours. Nice to hear someone on the other side.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Sometimes I feel guilty when I spend money, because I usually feel it's not something that was needed (although I don't shop for myself very often). I feel guilty when I think I overspend on groceries. It seems I have a hate-hate relationship with money.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

All the time! I always end up with anxiety thinking something terrible will happen and I'll need the money for something else
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
la79al
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
I feel guilty every time I spend on clothes or decor at a place other than a thrift shop. Spending $10 for a kids shirt vs $1 or $2 for a kids shirt bothers me. But if I need something specific, then I have to get over it.
I was seriously just wondering if I was the only person like this. I am not sure that I have ever bought clothing for my girls that wasn't on clearance or from a thrift shop. Everytime I try, I remind myself that I can probably buy 3 outfits at the thrift shop for what I would pay for 1 at the store (and my kids don't even really need clothes). DD2 does need some black shoes for Sunday though and I have a feeling I am heading to Target. I know Payless has the b1g1 1/2 off sale going on and she really wants light up sneakers but the sneakers she wears now are less than a month old and still perfectly fine .
Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
Firefly09
going through Disney withdrawals

If its just a splurge purchase I usually leave everything in the shopping bags and dig out what I want to use. If after about 1 or 2 weeks I haven't touched what's in the shopping bag, I return it with the feeling of satisfaction that I brought it home but really didn't need it. That is unless I bought something at a really good deal off season, i.e. my tall boots bought in spring for this winter
Firefly09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: