Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
robinbutterfly
DIS Veteran

Try new restaurants or go back to favorites?

We are on our 4th trip to WDW as a family. I am realizing some of our favorite restaurants we have only been to one time because each trip we end up trying different restaurants!
Do you guys try new restaurants each trip, or go back to your favorites?
*May 2015- TBD * November 2013- Dolphin and POFQ *October 2012- WDW Swan * January 2012- WDW Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas. *January 2010-WDW Bay Lake Tower *January 2009-WDW Wilderness Lodge * June 2003- Disneyland Paris on our Honeymoon. WDW SEVERAL times as a kid. *1979- Disneyland in California
My husband Me My son : My daughter
robinbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

We usually pick one or two "favorite" favorites and then we try new ones. We've gotten some new favorites over the years because we do this!

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
cmh314
Mouseketeer

We have a couple of favorites that we like to return to and then try new restaurants for the rest of the trip.
cmh314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

I was thinking about this the other day. It's tough when you only have so many meals and some of them can be pricey.

We like to try new places but also like to return to our favorites. This year, our planned meals are slightly in favor of new places.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
princessSunshine
Mouseketeer

there's four of us, so we each pick our favourite, must do restaurant. Then we pick a couple of family favourites and at least one new one each time we go. We like to have a combination of buffet, family style and order-off-the-menu places so it doesn't get "old". We usually go for 10-11 days during free dining, so we have alot of restaurants to choose from/fill in our nights with. Soon we may have only our favourites
princessSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
WSLover
Mouseketeer

When we don't have FD we usually stick to a few favorites but on the next trip we are trying some new places. We have FD. It's just me and my nephew and we are both adventurous eaters.

OLD: Brown Derby, Rose & Crown Pub, Les Chefs de France
NEW: Boma, 1900 Park Fare, Ohana, Le Cellier
WSLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly View Post
We are on our 4th trip to WDW as a family. I am realizing some of our favorite restaurants we have only been to one time because each trip we end up trying different restaurants!
We are at the point in visits that we stick to our favorites. Have gotten "burned" a few times with new ones, so now we're perfectly content to stick to our "must do's".
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

We've actually gotten to the point that there are only a few of the signatures that we haven't yet tried. So now we're down to trying just one or two new ones each trip, with the remainder being favourites from previous trips. Still leaves plenty of room for variety- we almost never visit the same places 2 trips in a row.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I've done all but 5 TS at WDW and I've skipped those 5 because I just can't get motivated to try them. During the early years of visiting WDW, we would put one favorite on the list but the rest of the week would be new ones. We've been enough times now that our favorities have been visited a dozen or so times and the others are rotated. I only have 2 that are on my "not going back" list after two back-to-back disappointments.

I like to mix it up. A former great could now be terrible and a former terrible can now be great.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
lilouisianagal
Mouseketeer

Depends on the length of our trip. Usually we like to try new things on long trips but if we are only there a few days DH wants "guaranteed" good food, so we stick to the favorites!

DisneyLand Hotel 1988 Carribean Beach 1992, 1995, 2006, 2007 , 2009 Dixie Landings 1997, 1999Port Orleans 2002 Off Site: MissionAir 2004 Disney Cruise Line (Honeymoon on the Wonder): May 24-28, 2009 Pop Century 2011 Disney Cruise Line: May 27- June 1, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort 2013
lilouisianagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
musicmantrs
Mouseketeer

This is the second trip this year and we decided to try only new restaurants. We are going to 5 TS neither of us has ever been to. In March we hit our favorites (50s PT, Ohana). It has been hard to stick to as I've seen Ohana reservations open up but I'm excited to get outside my comfort zone.
Fort Wilderness Cabins - 1995, POP All Star Music - 2001, Contemporary - 2001, Off-site Disney World - 2003, Off-site Disneyland/DCA - 2004, Contemporary - 2005, Contemporary - 2008, Off-site Disneyland/DCA - 2011, Off-site Disney World - Mar. 2012, CBR - Nov. 2012
musicmantrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

I've eaten at almost every TS that I intend to, which is all but a handful. (Still need to try Boma and need to get over to Bull and Bear). There are other places that I have not been to and can't see myself ever going to (such as the current version of the luau; Whispering Canyon and 1900 Park Fare). We have pretty solid memories and opinions about most places at WDW, so we stick to the same rotation of about 15 or so restaurants, and mix and match 5 or 6 of those each time we go. If something truly new opens up, we will give it a try, as long as it isn't so gimmicky as to drive us away. For example, I am really on the fence about Be Our Guest. I'll probably try it next time we go, unless the reviews are horrid.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Brook1099
DIS Veteran

This is our 9th trip, and we do have our favorites so we all pick old fav, and I add the new ones, hoping they will become new favorites, we are in Orlando for 2 weeks and still cant get all we like in. We are using TIW for the first time, my kids are now adults and find the DDP not useful anymore.The F&W is taking the spot of a few of our meals.

New ones that I am so excited to try..
Liberty Tree Lunch
Ragland Road
Via Napoli

Old favorites
Tusker House breakfast ( we all agree to this one)
Sci Fi, wasnt thinking we would go back but we actually all enjoyed our meal and desserts, and not big fans of DHS dining options
Trex my kids must do, I wouldnt pick it if up to me.
Fultons my DH last night meal choice.

and may try to get some last minute ressies on select nights we have nothing. Or CS.
Brook1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly View Post

This will be our third trip and I am determined to try new places. We are doing one favorite, Boma, as we'll be at AKV and my kids love it. For the first time we'll be trying Kona Cafe, Via Napoli, Saana, the Turf Club, 50's Primetime, and Rose and Crown. I'll also be meeting my friend for breakfast on the Boardwalk at Kouzzina I believe. I'm excited to try lots of new places.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
no capes darling
I never look back, it distracts from the now

I try to split it up with a repeat of last trip two favorites; skipped a few years; and never tried before.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: