Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumiere Lover View Post
Have you seen the interest rate at banks? Last Christmas Sam's club had $100 Disney gift cards, and you got a $10 Disney Store gift card as a bonus. We bought a lot of these cards! We love buying Disney gift cards as a way to save for the vacation. You can't use these funds for anything else, so for me it's a great way to know I am going back to WDW!

The best thing people can do is save the way they prefer, and to go to WDW with the trip fully paid off before they leave home. That is what is important!!
Exactly, you cant use the funds for anything else. Like medical emergencies. Sorry, but there are things more important than WDW.

OP, I agree with the others, Ebay is the way to go unless you can return them.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToOne

No, for the exact reason the OP is dealing with, "saving" for a trip by buying Disney gift cards when you have a possibility of needing the money to cover other emergencies life might throw at you is NOT the best way to do things.

It can make some sense to pick up a few gifts cards right before you have to pay the balance, or right before you leave to use for spending on your trip. But long before the trip, when you don't have a huge emergency fund already in place? Nope. I don't care if it's widely discussed as a method of saving on this board, it doesn't make sense. (And I don't even think buying the gift cards for paying off the balance is the best move, since if you pay with cash you could still get most of that refunded if necessary up until the trip.)

OP - I hope you can get a refund. I have my fingers crossed for you!
I agree what are people thinking? Not a smart move at all!
Dwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #18
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToOne View Post
No, for the exact reason the OP is dealing with, "saving" for a trip by buying Disney gift cards when you have a possibility of needing the money to cover other emergencies life might throw at you is NOT the best way to do things.

It can make some sense to pick up a few gifts cards right before you have to pay the balance, or right before you leave to use for spending on your trip. But long before the trip, when you don't have a huge emergency fund already in place? Nope. I don't care if it's widely discussed as a method of saving on this board, it doesn't make sense. (And I don't even think buying the gift cards for paying off the balance is the best move, since if you pay with cash you could still get most of that refunded if necessary up until the trip.)

OP - I hope you can get a refund. I have my fingers crossed for you!
I don't know if this is the OP's case, since she hasn't shared all of the details. But I agree with you that if would indeed be foolish to be socking away Disney gift cards for a future trip if you don't have an adequate emergency fund in place. In fact, it would be short-sighted to be planning a trip at all if that were the case.

A lot of people use gift cards as a saving method because they just aren't good at saving money otherwise. It's sort of like those people who intentionally get a big tax refund so that they can use it for a vacation or other luxury. But instead of giving the money to Uncle Sam, they give it to Mickey Mouse. Both saving methods tie your cash up so that you can't use it for other purposes. It can be a good thing if you're inclined to blow through any chunk of money you have. But it backfires when you need a chunk of cash for emergencies.

You'll notice that the OP has chosen to do the grown-up thing and cancel her trip so that she can take care of her financial obligations. I give her props for that. How many people would tell her "the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-and-you-never-know-what-will-happen-tomorrow-so-go-anyway-and-worry-about-the-bills-when-you-get-back"?

I'm hoping that things work out for the OP and that she updates us when she gets it all worked out. In the meantime, I'm going to keep saving my cash the old fashioned way. I'm hiding it under my mattress!

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
COASTIEandMATE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAW_KSU View Post
There are multiple gift card for sale on ebay. I have purchased some but never a disney giftcard. They always sell for more than I am willing to spend.
Actually I have seen DISNEY gift cards sell for more than the face value if there is a very special picture on the gift card, especially Disney Cruise Line or a favorite Princess picture. Hope this helps... ALOHA, Karen
Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #20
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwheels View Post
Why in the world would you buy gift cards to save for a trip???? What a waste of money put it in a bank where it can collect interest ad can be accessed for medical bills!!
Because I can buy Disney gift cards at Target with a minimum 5% discount with my Red Card. If I also have a pharmacy rewards coupon, I can combine discounts and get close to a 10% discount. My savings account (the one I use for vacations) pays a little over 1%. If Disney comes out with a code for my travel time, I can take advantage of the room or package discount as well as paying with gift cards that I bought at a discount. It can add up to significant savings for our trips.

And I am not buying gift cards with my emergency fund. I buy them with my travel budget. It might not work for you or for the OP in this case, but it works fine for me.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
bpesch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ebay, they always sell for face value or very close to it. You will get fees from ebay and paypal but you should still make most of your money back.
Be cautious. The fees for both Ebay and PayPal can be steep. And if you are a first time seller, the chance of someone trying to scam you is very high. Not sure I would recommend Ebay for selling any gift cards unless you have a lot of experience and a pretty high feedback number.
bpesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
SUSIEQ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'sMom View Post
Because I can buy Disney gift cards at Target with a minimum 5% discount with my Red Card. If I also have a pharmacy rewards coupon, I can combine discounts and get close to a 10% discount. My savings account (the one I use for vacations) pays a little over 1%. If Disney comes out with a code for my travel time, I can take advantage of the room or package discount as well as paying with gift cards that I bought at a discount. It can add up to significant savings for our trips.

And I am not buying gift cards with my emergency fund. I buy them with my travel budget. It might not work for you or for the OP in this case, but it works fine for me.
Well said! This is exactly what I do.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #23
ceecee
DIS Veteran

I did the Sam's deal last year, but bought the gift cards the day before the final pyt was due. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying gift cards to save. I like my $ in the bank making it's .1%!!!
Watch those ebay/paypal fees, it really cuts into your profit.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #24
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwheels View Post
That's just crazy??
It isn't crazy. A lot of people save that way because they would spend the money if they had it accessible. I mean, really how much interest can you get on $650 anyways!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #25
melliej
Earning My Ears

I am sorry for your situation.
To answer your question, there are a number of sites that buy and resell gift cards such as Cardpool and Plastic Jungle. You will take a bit of a hit, but won't have to deal with the Ebay listing process and fees. I know I have searched for Disney Cards on both of those sites and they never seem to have enough inventory, so hopefully they offer you a decent amount. It would be a great if you could sell them to someone you know (even if it is at a small loss).
Best wishes!
YACHT CLUB: december 2010 • first disney trip for my husband & kids
CARIBBEAN BEACH: december 1997
CARIBBEAN BEACH: march 1989
melliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette
I don't know if this is the OP's case, since she hasn't shared all of the details. But I agree with you that if would indeed be foolish to be socking away Disney gift cards for a future trip if you don't have an adequate emergency fund in place. In fact, it would be short-sighted to be planning a trip at all if that were the case.

A lot of people use gift cards as a saving method because they just aren't good at saving money otherwise. It's sort of like those people who intentionally get a big tax refund so that they can use it for a vacation or other luxury. But instead of giving the money to Uncle Sam, they give it to Mickey Mouse. Both saving methods tie your cash up so that you can't use it for other purposes. It can be a good thing if you're inclined to blow through any chunk of money you have. But it backfires when you need a chunk of cash for emergencies.

You'll notice that the OP has chosen to do the grown-up thing and cancel her trip so that she can take care of her financial obligations. I give her props for that. How many people would tell her "the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-and-you-never-know-what-will-happen-tomorrow-so-go-anyway-and-worry-about-the-bills-when-you-get-back"?

I'm hoping that things work out for the OP and that she updates us when she gets it all worked out. In the meantime, I'm going to keep saving my cash the old fashioned way. I'm hiding it under my mattress!
"Intentionally" get a big tax refund? Wish I knew how to control that! Lol, didn't know I had a choice. :-) Guess if I had a choice to give it to uncle Sam or Mickey mouse......ummmmm I'm gonna go with the mouse too lol! But again, I have never been given a choice.
rlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #27
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

I love gift cards because it is money for a trip that is put to the side and ready to go. Disney gift cards are different from many companies with a lack of maintence fee's, the money never expires, the gift card can be used in multiple ways (store, on-line, tickets, hotel, meals, etc.), and its easy to find bonus ways to save on the card or in conjunction with another purchase.

Liking Disney gift cards doesn't mean that you will spend the money otherwise, it means that its money put aside in a way that the person is comfortable with. I find it insulting that my method is being looked upon as that I have no control of my finances or that I might deplete the money otherwise. No, its what I like to do and it might be different then what some people do, but that doesn't mean that someone should invalidate it as an option because it doesn't fit their methodology.
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #28
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlilly79 View Post
"Intentionally" get a big tax refund? Wish I knew how to control that! Lol, didn't know I had a choice. :-) Guess if I had a choice to give it to uncle Sam or Mickey mouse......ummmmm I'm gonna go with the mouse too lol! But again, I have never been given a choice.
You can easily do it - just play with your withholding. Intentionally set it higher than needed and you've intentionally given yourself a big tax refund. Very simple and very common.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #29
ellone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
I never understand why people pay face value for gift cards on eBay. I'm always suspicious about these auctions.

The again, I don't understand why anyone buys Disney gift cards to save for a trip. The OP's dilemma is a good reason not to do so.
DON'T SELL ON EBAY. Many times the buyers that bid up are using stolen credit cards. Other times they ask you to e-mail the code and then claim non-receipt. The seller loses when you e-mail the codes.
ellone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #30
DopeysMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbeindisney View Post
Can tell me if the Disney store takes gift cards as a return? We had a Disney trip planned for April 2013 but medical bills and life got in the way. We were saving by buying Disney gift cards. Now the money is needed to pay off some of my daughter's unexpected medical bills. Or does anyone know a reputable site that will buy the cards at a fraction of the cost? Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated. We have about $675.00 in cards.
I was just on the disneygiftcard.com and saw this:
Can I return the Disney Gift Card that I purchased or received as a gift? You can return the Disney Gift Card as long as you have the original proof of purchase receipt and no funds have been deducted from the card. Each location's return policy may differ. Please contact the location.
Hope that helps

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: